Computer games.

the English-language version costs around a hundred quid on the used market, but i managed to find a legal but slightly-complicated workaround:

1) make a USA Playstation Store account.
2) add obligatory $10 funds to it via paypal.
3) boot up ye old PS3, log on to the new account.
4) open the Store (via the PS3) and buy Parasite Eve for $5.99 (plus 10% taxes).
5) install and away we go! No IP checks so even if outside USA it's not a problem.

The characters are blocky, with it being a PS1-game, but the PS3 has that nice smoothing effect for the backgrounds & FMV.

There are also PC-mods out there to play Parasite Eve which remaster the blocky characters, but it's a legal greyzone as officially the game remains a Playstation-exclusive.

A note on the PS3 Online Store...it's gonna be closing forever on March 2023. At the moment, via the above process, you can still digitally purchase rare expensive PS1/2 classics like the first Silent Hill, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Project Zero/Fatal Frame trilogy, Siren/Forbidden Siren, Legend of Dragoon, classic Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, Klonoa - Door to Phantomile etc...$6-$10 per game. The original Disk-versions cost small fortunes these days, and PC-mod options are grey-areas.

I've got Yakuza Zero on Steam which is fairly up there in my shortlist. It seems like a better option than Shenmue (which I gave up on after about two hours).

But i reckon Lost Odyssey will be my next japanese-voiced game.
Cheers, yeah I actually have my PS3 set up for the US store, did it a good few years back so I could get Fire Pro Wrestling. It's also the best way to play Persona 3 (FES).

Ha I gave up on Shenmue at around the same time too. I can see it's a good game, gets good reviews etc but I cant get past the voice acting, it's terrible and really takes me out of the game.

did you wallop that sea beast up the cracken? and get the golden chocobo for the knights of the round table?
Weapon? The one that swims around when you're in the sub? I'm too weak for it lol am at about Level 50, so one single attack from it wipes out all my party, even if back-row with protective accessories/linked-materia.

I decided to just head for the North Crater to finish the game rather than do the 100%-completion thing. So no chocobo-breeding, no defeating the Weapon monsters, no Knights of the Round Table summons and generally no ultimate-materia. The game is already quite easy outside of those bad Weapons, I had no issues defeating the last few bosses....so if I did level-up and get all that tasty materia I'd be even more over-powered for the final battle...which will feel a little underwhelming when that goosepimply epic boss music is trying to say otherwise.

I did bring Vincent & Yuffie to the party. Yuffie's a bit pointless except for the interesting Wutai-sentiment (former glorious city now relegated to tourist trap). Vincent deffo brings some important plot-points to the party, but it's under-developed. I gather they continued his story in the PS2-game Dirge of Cerberus.

Ha I gave up on Shenmue at around the same time too. I can see it's a good game, gets good reviews etc but I cant get past the voice acting, it's terrible and really takes me out of the game.
I had the jap-voices on, still not great but better than the English! My problem was the gameplay was just a dull chore. I ended up skimming through the entire trilogy via youtube.

Shenmue's main baddie hat Sephiroth-levels of potential...yet
they brutally underused him. He's barely in the entire trilogy. Finally at the end of Shenmue 3 you get to fight him, but your character doesn't even land a single hit.

Sephiroth had a slow introduction in FFVII, but once his story unfolds it's EPIC.
Lan Di, after three full games,
doesn't even have a story yet.

so yeah, life's too short and all that, I'm being really choosy with which games to complete.

Which games have you all been playing recently? Want to buy a couple more as I’m so bored of what I have
If you like roguelites, Rogue Legacy 2 is super-strong.

I finally got around to playing the copy of Dishonored that I failed to get into on a couple of previous occasions, and it's an extremely solid stealth game. They're practically giving it away on Steam right now (I think it's $1.99 for the base game and $3.99 with all of the DLC). Impossible to go wrong on that one, if you never played it.

What a huge disappointment f1 manager 22 has turned out to be. One of those games that seems good initially but then within a few hours you start to notice that nothing works as it should and that there is no depth whatsoever.

What a huge disappointment f1 manager 22 has turned out to be. One of those games that seems good initially but then within a few hours you start to notice that nothing works as it should and that there is no depth whatsoever.
Exactly my experience. Few initial bugs that would be patchable were very easily excused. Then when you stumble on the game-breaking and easily exploitable c0ck-ups (which I won’t post as it was still fun-ish until that point) it’s really really embarrassing.

Devs really open on Reddit etc leading up to release. Should have spent more time playing their own game. Painfully easy to find issues.

Anyone on the fence, do not buy.

Exactly my experience. Few initial bugs that would be patchable were very easily excused. Then when you stumble on the game-breaking and easily exploitable c0ck-ups (which I won’t post as it was still fun-ish until that point) it’s really really embarrassing.

Devs really open on Reddit etc leading up to release. Should have spent more time playing their own game. Painfully easy to find issues.

Anyone on the fence, do not buy.

The worst issue is that tyre wear has no effect on pace until it reaches below 30%. So you end up with a tyre with 100% life being no quicker than the same compound with 30% wear... this kills strategy, as does the incorrect delta's between tyres.

I'm pretty sure what happened is that their AI is not smart enough to outthink a human when it comes to on-the-fly strategies, for example, the AI does not adapt to the player's decisions, it runs a preset strategy that a human can easily better. The bigger the delta between tyres the more exaggerated the advantage the human has when doing undercuts etc so they have purposely lowered the difference between compounds so the player doesn't always gain a huge advantage.

Basically, their AI is terrible and they had to dumb down the tyres to make it competent enough to form some kind of challenge for the player (even though it's still far too easy). That's my theory anyway.

Very disappointing, even if all the race strategy stuff was working properly it would still only feel like a £20 game rather than a £40 one.

Some guy who hacked uber has now hacked rockstar games and leaked about 90 videos of what seems to be very early pre-alpha footage of GTA6

Watched a bunch of these earlier. Slightly unsure about the choice to set it in modern day Vice City as so much of what made the original great was the era it was set in. They usually get this stuff right though so not going to judge off what is clearly footage from very early development.

Watched a bunch of these earlier. Slightly unsure about the choice to set it in modern day Vice City as so much of what made the original great was the era it was set in. They usually get this stuff right though so not going to judge off what is clearly footage from very early development.
I don’t think the story will be nearly as good as the others. I can see them jumping the shark a bit and going in a Saints Row 3ish direction. Not only did Rockstar become more corporate but the audience is getting even younger with GTA online being introduced. It will be a weird transition

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back