Computer games.

PC is a better emulator, with alright specs you can emulate more than the Wii U can.

However what I like about Wii U is how well it plays Wii & GameCube games, because it's not emulating them it supports them natively.

Even on a beefy gaming PC you can get a few GameCube /Wii games that won't run well or at all.

I'd say if GameCube and Wii are top of your list of systems you want to emulate then go for a Wii U.

If you want to emulate likes of PS1, PS2, Saturn, Mame, Then a PC is better choice as Wii U even struggles with PS1 games quite a lot run like turd.

Spot on post this.

The Saturn bit really resonates with me, I had one as a youth, some Saturn games are demanding some serious coin these days.

I ballsed up there flogging it to CEX.

Just finished a small upgrade to the fans on my PC and I’m pretty pleased with it now. I’ve had it for almost 18 months, and I’ve gone from being a total PC novice to feeling quietly confident I could build my own PC.

In that time I’ve upgraded a few parts, including:

- RAM (16GB 2666mhz to 32GB 2933mhz)
- PSU (550W to 850W)
- CPU (i5-10400F to i7-10700KF)
- CPU Cooler (Stock Intel to NZXT AIO Kraken 120mm)
- Added 2x Arctic 120mm PWM case fans (from 3 fans to 6 in total including AIO)

All done myself except the AIO cooler, which Scan fitted. With the RTX 3070 it’s a very good machine now. I need to find a good new game to really test it.

I’m such a horrific nerd these days.
Why AIO, genuine question?

Other than that - that's a solid rig that maybe you won't need to upgrade for a long time, unless you want to play in 4k ultra max hd at 696969Hz.

Also maybe the i7 at some point soon but honestly that depends on socket availability at this point, as the good type of competition appeared, but that "forced" intel to use new sockets for some unknown reason other than being huge assholes.

My next upgrade is way overdue but I'm getting my SO a laptop first. Defo switching to team red for processor/mobo though.

Why AIO, genuine question?

Other than that - that's a solid rig that maybe you won't need to upgrade for a long time, unless you want to play in 4k ultra max hd at 696969Hz.

Also maybe the i7 at some point soon but honestly that depends on socket availability at this point, as the good type of competition appeared, but that "forced" intel to use new sockets for some unknown reason other than being huge assholes.

My next upgrade is way overdue but I'm getting my SO a laptop first. Defo switching to team red for processor/mobo though.

I assume because overclocking which SCAN do as standard.
AIO's are pretty bloody decent for it; performance to price wise.

I assume because overclocking which SCAN do as standard.
AIO's are pretty bloody decent for it; performance to price wise.
Unless you are the one installing and maintaining (or troubleshooting as a whole if something goes to the crapper) they're pretty to look at. Or if you do insane overclocking, in which case you need proper water cooling, not an AIO.

Didn't know they overclock tbh, but also the processor is clocked highly already, so idk what the performance point of that would be.

Unless you are the one installing and maintaining (or troubleshooting as a whole if something goes to the crapper) they're pretty to look at. Or if you do insane overclocking, in which case you need proper water cooling, not an AIO.

Didn't know they overclock tbh, but also the processor is clocked highly already, so idk what the performance point of that would be.

I think you know as well as I do that a well built/bought PC is usually bottle necked by the GPU so it's usually a moot question in most cases.

AIO's are a breeze to install, assuming you have the case for it, if you don't have the case for it buy one, or just don't bother overclocking.

Performance wise there really isn't that much difference between water-cooled CPU's and AIO's.

I think you know as well as I do that a well built/bought PC is usually bottle necked by the GPU so it's usually a moot question in most cases.

AIO's are a breeze to install, assuming you have the case for it, if you don't have the case for it buy one, or just don't bother overclocking.

Performance wise there really isn't that much difference between water-cooled CPU's and AIO's.
Well I'd argue on the last point but for general/personal use - true. But at the same time, I'd find no need to overclock that, other than for fun lol

Maybe I dislike AIO because of past bad experiences, but they were mostly somewhat newer tech when I first did that. Recently helped a friend with it and the case was good but everything was calculated to fit too tightly lol so it was obnoxious.

They are pretty to look at, at any rate.

With all that said, I'm "old school" and will probably just use fans, as my use case isn't one that needs a heavy performance machine for the stuff I do with it at home. Here at work... well, it's IT, we have it all and more, but again, use case differs*.

*Threadrippers aren't great for games :(

Well I'd argue on the last point but for general/personal use - true. But at the same time, I'd find no need to overclock that, other than for fun lol

Maybe I dislike AIO because of past bad experiences, but they were mostly somewhat newer tech when I first did that. Recently helped a friend with it and the case was good but everything was calculated to fit too tightly lol so it was obnoxious.

They are pretty to look at, at any rate.

With all that said, I'm "old school" and will probably just use fans, as my use case isn't one that needs a heavy performance machine for the stuff I do with it at home. Here at work... well, it's IT, we have it all and more, but again, use case differs*.

*Threadrippers aren't great for games :(

The new Intel chips are getting some seriously good reviews mate...

Have a nose at Linus Tech Tips (my go too for anything techy).

The new Intel chips are getting some seriously good reviews mate...

Have a nose at Linus Tech Tips (my go too for anything techy).
I know, they are quite excellent, and still no need for a new socket in most cases except their most extreme ones. BLF's chip is also great (if you got/get lucky in the silicon lottery) in so that it's rated at over 5Mhz boosted/turbo and 3.something normal, which is still insanity, but shouldn't even need aio/water. Recent chips are just ridiculous for no reason and I love it lol

I watch LTT a lot, usually on release, and have for years. Here's my problem: his analysis is always based on either niche use or always assumes that people:
a) always buy the best new things as soon as they come out, yet his vids fail to mention the fact that even if you were to buy the newest processor (for example) you'd need to change the other peripherals for just about as much money, and no one does that.
b) actually always game in 4K on 4K monitors in 4K resolutions; some do, absolutely, but the majority of people won't. Some of the rigs they test things on are easily worth 6-7k$ at the time of doing them ffs Benchmarking Tomb Raider on a rig that costs a couple of thousand is nice and all, but to be more realistic he should test in FHD 1080p, which is what people have been calling for, instead of 4K resolutions.
c) have access to some of the tech they present, which is limited to testers or corporations and will never get used by regular Joe's, which makes it just clickbait to show a thing, which is usually sponsored anyway.

Even with that said, they're a good source of info for new things, but most the things should be taken with a grain of salt, as he's now more of a business than before so the titles/benchmarks are a bit baity.

Anthony is the MVP of LTT and has actually more knowledge than some of the crap Linus himself does/says though lol

I know, they are quite excellent, and still no need for a new socket in most cases except their most extreme ones. BLF's chip is also great (if you got/get lucky in the silicon lottery) in so that it's rated at over 5Mhz boosted/turbo and 3.something normal, which is still insanity, but shouldn't even need aio/water. Recent chips are just ridiculous for no reason and I love it lol

I watch LTT a lot, usually on release, and have for years. Here's my problem: his analysis is always based on either niche use or always assumes that people:
a) always buy the best new things as soon as they come out, yet his vids fail to mention the fact that even if you were to buy the newest processor (for example) you'd need to change the other peripherals for just about as much money, and no one does that.
b) actually always game in 4K on 4K monitors in 4K resolutions; some do, absolutely, but the majority of people won't. Some of the rigs they test things on are easily worth 6-7k$ at the time of doing them ffs Benchmarking Tomb Raider on a rig that costs a couple of thousand is nice and all, but to be more realistic he should test in FHD 1080p, which is what people have been calling for, instead of 4K resolutions.
c) have access to some of the tech they present, which is limited to testers or corporations and will never get used by regular Joe's, which makes it just clickbait to show a thing, which is usually sponsored anyway.

Even with that said, they're a good source of info for new things, but most the things should be taken with a grain of salt, as he's now more of a business than before so the titles/benchmarks are a bit baity.

Anthony is the MVP of LTT and has actually more knowledge than some of the crap Linus himself does/says though lol

Completely agree, although I hasten to add I don't want to denigrate Linus too much as, in my opinion, I've always found him to be very fair/knowledgeable.

Anthony is the proverbial boobs though, seems a genuinely decent person and clued up like no other tech YouTuber I've seen. It's also him who reviewed the latest Intel chips on LTT.

Completely agree, although I hasten to add I don't want to denigrate Linus too much as, in my opinion, I've always found him to be very fair/knowledgeable.

Anthony is the proverbial boobs though, seems a genuinely decent person and clued up like no other tech YouTuber I've seen. It's also him who reviewed the latest Intel chips on LTT.
Yeah, watched that, his review of the 40 series of airconditioning units videocards was also boss, even though the benchmark they did was hilariously wrong lol

He's very knowledgeable but some of the things he says are only useful for that specific case, I've found through experience in the real world. Still good knowledge though, I suppose.

As a fun thing that happened - recently we got a new set of rackmounts for a brand new HP server from their new series and me and a colleague wrestled with how they should work for quite a while. Opened YT the next day and saw that LTT uploaded their 1 mil server video where him and Alex (I think?) wrestled with the same problem for quite some time and they had to cut to next scene hahah

Also to add about Anthony @ LTT - he mentioned very rightly what was on everyone's mind in that 40 series review - they perform like you'd expect the final 30 series "Ti" cards (which we never got) to be, instead of something new. This was hinted around in the "ITK"'s, so...

Also I'm a firm believer this is the exact case.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back