Computer games.

I agree with all of that. I was referring to skipping PC gaming if he just wants something that works everytime.

I am 100% PC camp, but I am a realist. It isn't always plain sailing.

Example, DCS VR was a breeze in 2.7, but then the 2.8 came out and it tanked performance. I gave up on it for a couple of months until yesterday, where I probably spent about 3 hours tinkering and then played for about 30 minutes before giving up as I still don't have it all dialled in to a nice smooth experience.

A perfect example of everything being well, then an update happens and apocalypse now!
I feel like with PC gaming the highs are higher, but the lows are lower. It’s definitely more work than console, but worth it if you have the time / patience.

Visually looks amazing but little worried it's going to be severely dumbed down for the mainstream/console audience relative to the old games, voice acting seems pretty horrendous as well, why are they all British and American lol

Visually looks amazing but little worried it's going to be severely dumbed down for the mainstream/console audience relative to the old games, voice acting seems pretty horrendous as well, why are they all British and American lol

Aaahh, I didn’t know it was coming out on console as well.

I hate to be one of those, but games often get worse when they’re released on console. Recently it’s happened with a few so called hardcore games I play. He’ll Let Loose and DayZ being prime examples.

Now that I have gone back to the gameplay over graphics mantra I used to have, I will never splash ridiculous money ona pc ever again, AAA titles aren't always the best games. I love pixel games 16bit etc, not that I don't play graphical games but as far as the hardware I will buy, it's not an issue for me getting the newest kit anymore.

Don't need it for games like Dwarf Fortress, Terraria, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Kynseed, Core keeper to name but a few hardly any juice needed and gameplay is fantastic.

Now that I have gone back to the gameplay over graphics mantra I used to have, I will never splash ridiculous money ona pc ever again, AAA titles aren't always the best games. I love pixel games 16bit etc, not that I don't play graphical games but as far as the hardware I will buy, it's not an issue for me getting the newest kit anymore.

Don't need it for games like Dwarf Fortress, Terraria, Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Kynseed, Core keeper to name but a few hardly any juice needed and gameplay is fantastic.
In my opinion independent studios are leading the way now in terms of innovation. The latest COD having what is essentially a Tarkov lite game mode is another sign of it. The battle royale thing was started by DayZ / PUBG and is everywhere now.

One thing I hate about modern AAA games is they're just a sensory overload. Daily task this, XP, levelling up, all the microtransactions. I like the simplicity of games from indie studios.

I'm currently enjoying Limbo, a black and white side scroller game. It's great fun.

In my opinion independent studios are leading the way now in terms of innovation. The latest COD having what is essentially a Tarkov lite game mode is another sign of it. The battle royale thing was started by DayZ / PUBG and is everywhere now.

One thing I hate about modern AAA games is they're just a sensory overload. Daily task this, XP, levelling up, all the microtransactions. I like the simplicity of games from indie studios.

I'm currently enjoying Limbo, a black and white side scroller game. It's great fun.
A wonderful game - bettered by the follow up 'Inside'

The same studio have just released another little gem called 'Somerville' on Gamepass

A wonderful game - bettered by the follow up 'Inside'

The same studio have just released another little gem called 'Somerville' on Gamepass
It's got a lovely style to it. The bits where the parasite lands on your head is really testing my resolve, but I'm determined to finish it.

I've got Inside up next. Got them both in the Steam sale for 49p or something stupid.

Aaahh, I didn’t know it was coming out on console as well.

I hate to be one of those, but games often get worse when they’re released on console. Recently it’s happened with a few so called hardcore games I play. He’ll Let Loose and DayZ being prime examples.

Think it's a Microsoft exclusive, they paid big bucks for it if I remember correctly. I imagine it will be pretty damn good tbh even if it is a bit dumbed down, looks like they have absolutely nailed the atmosphere and im a sucker for these types of games (Original S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Metro series, Tarkov etc)

Recommend High On Life if anyone hasn’t tried it yet. I’ve really struggled to get into any game over the past few years, but I’m enjoying this. On game pass too!

Think it's a Microsoft exclusive, they paid big bucks for it if I remember correctly. I imagine it will be pretty damn good tbh even if it is a bit dumbed down, looks like they have absolutely nailed the atmosphere and im a sucker for these types of games (Original S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Metro series, Tarkov etc)
I've just bought the original Stalker trilogy to get up to speed for this. Got some QOL mods installed and it's not bad at all for a 15 year old game.

Metro is next on my list, actually. They gave Last Light Redux on Epic Games for free the other day. It looks right up my street.

I feel like with PC gaming the highs are higher, but the lows are lower. It’s definitely more work than console, but worth it if you have the time / patience.
What's funny about PC gaming is you can change nothing, log off one night.

Next day log back in and you will have an issue to deal with when you havnt changed anything lol.

For example I was playing Rust the other night, all great next day I log in and had massive screen tearing.

Took half an hour of trouble shooting to find out I needed to change settings directly on Nvidia and not in game.

Issues seem random sometimes

What's funny about PC gaming is you can change nothing, log off one night.

Next day log back in and you will have an issue to deal with when you havnt changed anything lol.

For example I was playing Rust the other night, all great next day I log in and had massive screen tearing.

Took half an hour of trouble shooting to find out I needed to change settings directly on Nvidia and not in game.

Issues seem random sometimes
That's what puts me off. Maybe I'll take the plunge when I properly retire and have more time.

Right now if I have a spare 30 min/1 hr it's just a simple fire up of the Playstation and crack on.

So many incredible things not available on console, ugh. :(

That's what puts me off. Maybe I'll take the plunge when I properly retire and have more time.

Right now if I have a spare 30 min/1 hr it's just a simple fire up of the Playstation and crack on.

So many incredible things not available on console, ugh. :(
I mean it doesn't happen regular, but it's one thing to factor in it will happen at some point.

Normally at a time when you really just want to relax and play for a bit.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back