Computer games.

z9pjghfn0uj51.jpg

While I do stand by my assertion, I haven't installed or run any Linux distro in about 3 years. I need to check back in and see what's goin' on in penguinland.
Depends what you're looking for - in the spirit of this thread, I'd say pop_os! and the steam one are pretty good gaming wise. Mint has upped its level too and looks dank.

On the non-GUI side of things - same as always for the most part. I recently started a course so I can get my RHEL up to speed :)

On the logical and reasonable side - daily driver being Windows is 1000000000% reasonable in any scenario involving linux vs windows lol

What's your favourite poison flavour?

I'm on my second playthrough of Red dead Redemption 2. It truly is as good as I remember, it's a masterpiece.

It makes me hope that GTA 6 will try and tell a more grounded and compelling story compared to GTA 5.
My only complaint with RDR2 was it wasn’t difficult enough. But it’s a game that stands out on its own in many ways.

I’m going to give it another go but this time on PC with some mods to make it a bit harder.

Depends what you're looking for - in the spirit of this thread, I'd say pop_os! and the steam one are pretty good gaming wise. Mint has upped its level too and looks dank.

On the non-GUI side of things - same as always for the most part. I recently started a course so I can get my RHEL up to speed :)

On the logical and reasonable side - daily driver being Windows is 1000000000% reasonable in any scenario involving linux vs windows lol

What's your favourite poison flavour?

When I dropped out, Mint was on the come-up but I was always partial to Arch due to it's agnostic nature; that presented its own additional baggage obviously but I was down with it at the time.

When I dropped out, Mint was on the come-up but I was always partial to Arch due to it's agnostic nature; that presented its own additional baggage obviously but I was down with it at the time.
The use cases for linux as a daily are so low though - most things that you can do are just easier on a windows machine. I know very well what the benefits/securities are, but most of what I use my computer for would mean that what I'd do is basically troubleshoot all day instead of actually using it as I want to; believe me I've tried.

And it's absolutely impossible at work anyway so... lol

I have a home server with ubuntu and a "media" laptop (read: old laptop I use mainly as a screen to watch videos due to a lack of TV currently lol ) though, good and quick at what it does.

Played Gotham Knights but was so disappointed yet nostalgic for that universe went back to the original Batman Arkham games. They were truly great.

The use cases for linux as a daily are so low though - most things that you can do are just easier on a windows machine. I know very well what the benefits/securities are, but most of what I use my computer for would mean that what I'd do is basically troubleshoot all day instead of actually using it as I want to; believe me I've tried.

And it's absolutely impossible at work anyway so... lol

I have a home server with ubuntu and a "media" laptop (read: old laptop I use mainly as a screen to watch videos due to a lack of TV currently lol ) though, good and quick at what it does.

If you want to keep old PC's alive and ticking, Arch/Linux was a godsend. In the real world, a lot of smart companies are financially unable or unwilling to stay on the bleeding edge all the time in certain areas of their business operations, which is understandable. I saved multiple companies from having to fork over tens of thousands on replacement PC's back in the day that were just used to complete simple tasks; they're probably still 'kin chuggin' along provided the irreplaceable hardware itself hasn't called it a day.

Try to get a functioning Pentium 2 to work efficiently on any post '98 Windows environment, while also not making you or their employees want to go all Seppuku, due to performance. Being able to can make you invaluable...Tux to the rescue.

Work smarter, not harder.

rock_tux_400x400.png

Last edited:
If you want to keep old PC's alive and ticking, Arch/Linux was a godsend. In the real world, a lot of smart companies are financially unable or unwilling to stay on the bleeding edge all the time in certain areas of their business operations, which is understandable. I saved multiple companies from having to fork over tens of thousands on replacement PC's back in the day that were just used to complete simple tasks; they're probably still 'kin chuggin' along provided the irreplaceable hardware itself hasn't called it a day.

Try to get a functioning Pentium 2 to work efficiently on any post '98 Windows environment, while also not making you or their employees want to go all Seppuku, due to performance. Being able to can make you invaluable...Tux to the rescue.

Work smarter, not harder.

tux-guitar-logo.png
Nah I get that but in a corpo environment some stuff isn't made to work on anything but a specific system, or the userbase, like ours, is just old and too stupid to just switch over.

Also corpo keys means we get basically unlimited use for not "a lot" of money, etc., and AD services as well as most installed server-side applications are just easier to use on windows server. As is access and control for shares and all that.

The massive storage is naturally a "custom freebsd" under the hood though (thanks Dell).

We have a lot of rendering and stuff working overtime on ridiculous overkill custom linux machines though, and they do work that windows will never reach on the same resource.

Also not a huge fan of preserving decrepit stuff like that for an actual company really, but to each their own (and to each their own use case lol ) obviously

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back