Computer games.

Like, for example, Aion which I mentioned earlier.

The game will have a sub, which means you have to pay 10 Euros a month to play properly, you can free to play, but good luck doing anything meaningful.

It also has a Battlepass, missions to complete and it will reward you in game items, that is 20 Euros a month. So 30 Euros a month, for a game that was released nearly 15 years ago. But they re-release it, call it Classic and utter clowns like me will play it. Cos I had fun and made friends 15 years ago.

Basically stay away from MMOs.

Pretty much.

MMOs are a grind, at end game its likely you will run the same dungeons, have dailies to complete, weekly missions. Find time for some PVP, all in the pursuit of loot and character progress. The reason MMOs are successful is mainly the social aspect. You make friends, I have "friends" now I play games with, after "meeting" them on a game we played together 15 years ago.

Most MMOs will drip feed content and of course, they want your money!!!

Thanks for yours and others input. I think I’ll crack on with my one player games, and maybe I’ll find one of these games will naturally pull me into an online world sometime. Maybe when it’s in VR!

Like, for example, Aion which I mentioned earlier.

The game will have a sub, which means you have to pay 10 Euros a month to play properly, you can free to play, but good luck doing anything meaningful.

It also has a Battlepass, missions to complete and it will reward you in game items, that is 20 Euros a month. So 30 Euros a month, for a game that was released nearly 15 years ago. But they re-release it, call it Classic and utter clowns like me will play it. Cos I had fun and made friends 15 years ago.

Basically stay away from MMOs.

It’s mad tho, as a gamer since the 80s, if you’d described online gaming to me 30yr ago I’d have assumed I’d be all over it. Apart from simple stuff like PES or a bit of rocket league I’ve never been drawn to it.

There’s gamers out there who don’t even touch offline one player games I’d imagine

It’s mad tho, as a gamer since the 80s, if you’d described online gaming to me 30yr ago I’d have assumed I’d be all over it. Apart from simple stuff like PES or a bit of rocket league I’ve never been drawn to it.

There’s gamers out there who don’t even touch offline one player games I’d imagine
If its single player games you want Rimworld and Prison Architect are both amazingly fun, among others.

Was semi interested in the new EA PGA game as used to love them back on the Megadrive but paying £50-60 for a golf game is never going to happen in a million years.
So I played the trial as I stupidly pay for EA Play (going to cancel it as it makes no sense to have it). The trial was good so I bought it but the game is now broken. You have to be online the entire time regardless of which mode you are playing and the servers are rubbish. They did some server work today and pushed an update but now you basically can’t play it. If it lets you play it doesn’t recognise any of the rewards you get from playing. Online is a mess. It’s a shame because the actual gameplay is good. I don’t know why I keep giving EA my money, such a rubbish company.

Gotham done. Hogwarts done. Elden Ring stopped dead at the Elden Beast, so bin for you. Kingdom Come Deliverance until I actually tried fighting people so that games in the bin. For Honour. instaBin. Farcry 5 now and its manic, fun, GTA like and kind of repetetive but well done.
KCD Dont even try to fight until you learn riposte from the auld training feller. Then have at it.

I think the lat ES I properly played was morrowind but not too much. Tried Skyrim for a bit just to try it out, and I thought it was ok and did intend to go back to it.

Elden Ring…. At some point I’ll have to try one of those games. Always imagined them to be like Shadow of Colossus but 10x harder
Obviously it’s a bit dated now but I’d play Skyrim over ESO if you never did it before. Fantastic game with some great quests and really good DLC stories as well.

Elden Ring was a lot more friendly than other souls games. It has two bosses that are probably the most difficult they’ve had but that’s after 100+ hours of play if you explore everything and you can summon helpers from the community if you get stuck on these battles. The only thing I’ll say is there are no quest markers and it’s hard to remember what you need to do or work out what you should be looking for next so using google to point you in the right direction isn’t a bad thing sometimes.

Think I’ve finally, at 45, learned to ditch games that I am just not enjoying no matter how far I am into them or how much it seems I should love it. Witcher 3 goes in the bin with no major memories from it (maybe I’m not far in enough to get to any wow moments).

Finally finished Metroid NES 30yrs more or less after I failed to finish it before having to give my cousin back the game. Will get on M2 now the GB games are on Switch

Currently enjoying the Zelda BOTW dlc years after finishing the game. Also playing HZD dlc Frozen Wilds. Looking forward to the new games in both those series whenever I get to them.

Also been dipping in and out of Little Nightmares on switch. Pretty decent, but preferred Limbo which it often seems to be compared to.
It did take me a few days of gameplay to get into it. Found the movement slightly odd.. but man once I got going it’s in my top 5 games!

Can’t remember the point where it landed with me but hope you haven’t given up too early

KCD Dont even try to fight until you learn riposte from the auld training feller. Then have at it.

Worth plugging away until then? I got through when the town gets sacked and abit further on with some of the missions but i kept getting murdered in every fight! Felt like a melee mashing mess and hard to actually hit an opponent. Decent story though i thought they got that right.

Worth plugging away until then? I got through when the town gets sacked and abit further on with some of the missions but i kept getting murdered in every fight! Felt like a melee mashing mess and hard to actually hit an opponent. Decent story though i thought they got that right.
Was the same got my ass handed to me in every fight and gave up. Read then about having to learn riposte and went back to it. I enjoyed it, decent game.

In my opinion as someone who loved Oblivion and Skyrim it’s absolute crap. Terrible fighting mechanics and just littered with boring fetch quests with no consequence. My wife enjoyed exploring but it was seriously lacking.

I enjoyed Skyrim for what it was, as exploring a big world is always fun. But when you compare the quests (both main and side story) in Skyrim with The Witcher 3, it really shows a difference in quality and effort doesn't it. The worst side quests in TW3 are basically better and with more depth to them than 95% of the quests in Skyrim. Neither of the games has particularly good fight mechanics though.

Correct, i'm one of them.

I dont know if it was growing up with siblings so we always played games together/competitively, but I cant find any joy in playing a solo game.

I enjoyed Skyrim for what it was, as exploring a big world is always fun. But when you compare the quests (both main and side story) in Skyrim with The Witcher 3, it really shows a difference in quality and effort doesn't it. The worst side quests in TW3 are basically better and with more depth to them than 95% of the quests in Skyrim. Neither of the games has particularly good fight mechanics though.
Thought Witcher 3 was easily one of the best games I've played at the time, but since got into fromsoft games so don't think I could get back into it. Combat too trivial, 1000 items that basically do nothing etc.

Saying that I still reckon the straight-ahead storytelling style of W3 works far better in open world - something about that game structure that is just really strong. ER is a triumph but DArk Souls meets open world is still too much of a contradiction in terms. Two playthroughs and the open world is over - everything is dead and there is nothing to do.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back