Computer games.

Breath of the Wild

I'll be honest - I'm not sure it's for me (and I'm gutted about that)

Genuinely fair comment.

I'm in love with it, I had to persist for a while, the controls were driving me nuts but as a sandbox and now I'm getting with it...

Wow.

Nintendo>Naughty Dog>insomniac>Rockstar (slightly interchangable)

Genuinely fair comment.

I'm in love with it, I had to persist for a while, the controls were driving me nuts but as a sandbox and now I'm getting with it...

Wow.

Nintendo>Naughty Dog>insomniac>Rockstar (slightly interchangable)[/B]

I love BotW and Tears of the Kingdom but being largely a PlayStation user getting my head to accept the A and B buttons not corresponding to O and X did my head in at the beginning. Constantly cancelling out of menus and rejecting conversation prompts. Also the jump button feels unnatural at first being at the top of the four buttons.

I’m a good few hours in now though so have largely got used to it again and probably won’t touch another game for weeks.

I love BotW and Tears of the Kingdom but being largely a PlayStation user getting my head to accept the A and B buttons not corresponding to O and X did my head in at the beginning. Constantly cancelling out of menus and rejecting conversation prompts. Also the jump button feels unnatural at first being at the top of the four buttons.

I’m a good few hours in now though so have largely got used to it again and probably won’t touch another game for weeks.

A pain I'm all too familiar with mate.

Mine mostly relates to drunk Mario Kart though, the amount of times I've banged out of a race on the selection screen for that very button placement reason...

Zelda is sound though, I'm normally sober.

Ended up getting EA PGA Tour. Quite enjoying it, courses are great and there are tons of them. Had to switch to the old school 3 click system though as I’m useless with analog sticks.

Ended up getting EA PGA Tour. Quite enjoying it, courses are great and there are tons of them. Had to switch to the old school 3 click system though as I’m useless with analog sticks.
Best golf sim game for years (although given the competition that isn’t saying much). I stuck with the analog sticks but used the dumbed down settings for when you want to draw/fade the ball as I just couldn’t get that right for the life of me.

Genuinely fair comment.

Wow.

Nintendo>Naughty Dog>insomniac>Rockstar (slightly interchangable)
I really want to love it - I know there's a wonderful game in there just waiting to emerge

I'm just not sure my 45 year old brain works in the way the game wants me to. I imagine it's wonderful as a 12 year old Rainman - attaching balloons to a flamethrower because you know that the earths gravitational pull will eventually rotate in such a way to destroy some enemies but I can't think like that

On a more functional level, the constantly breaking weapons, fiddly menu system and lack of available quests is holding me back (I've basically got the 4 quests to kill the big beasties - but when I'm getting bummed by a couple of little goblin knobheads I don't fancy my chances against those)

Help me help myself!

I really want to love it - I know there's a wonderful game in there just waiting to emerge

I'm just not sure my 45 year old brain works in the way the game wants me to. I imagine it's wonderful as a 12 year old Rainman - attaching balloons to a flamethrower because you know that the earths gravitational pull will eventually rotate in such a way to destroy some enemies but I can't think like that

On a more functional level, the constantly breaking weapons, fiddly menu system and lack of available quests is holding me back (I've basically got the 4 quests to kill the big beasties - but when I'm getting bummed by a couple of little goblin knobheads I don't fancy my chances against those)

Help me help myself!

I get you mate, I truly do.

My mid 30's noggin is just about capable of solving most of the puzzles; although I did 3 star every level on Bad Piggies on the pooper so I'm a pretty serious bloke.

The weapon durability nightmare is alleviated somewhat in this thanks to the fuse option.

The endless creativity in this game though is just...

I get you mate, I truly do.

My mid 30's noggin is just about capable of solving most of the puzzles; although I did 3 star every level on Bad Piggies on the pooper so I'm a pretty serious bloke.

The weapon durability nightmare is alleviated somewhat in this thanks to the fuse option.

The endless creativity in this game though is just...
Tell me more about this fuse option...

I bought a Switch the week before Tears of the Kingdom came out - bought both that and BOTW with plans to finish BOTW before moving onto TOTK - I'm now wondering if I'll finish both before my retirement

Tell me more about this fuse option...

I bought a Switch the week before Tears of the Kingdom came out - bought both that and BOTW with plans to finish BOTW before moving onto TOTK - I'm now wondering if I'll finish both before my retirement

It'll still eventually break, however, this time you get to grumble for a bit longer before it shatters.

Give it a whirl mate.

Help me help myself!
Early on in the game run away from most fights and just search out Shrines. They are how you power up in terms of health and stamina. They also teach you how to use the different dynamics. Also just wander around and speak to anyone you meet as they either give you hints about gameplay or give you side quests. The side quests are usually pretty easy and reward you with supplies.

I’d avoid going after the Main Quests too early as it’s not like normal games where they teach you what to do.

One thing that is tough about these games is they really don’t hold your hand or tell you what to do. So the shrines are really important as you get used to taking advantage of all the tools around you.

I’ve “completed” Breath of the Wild and was really struggling with a new dynamic in Tears of the Kingdom. Had to watch a YouTube video in the end and realised I was setting up my glider upside down so kept on plummeting to my death.

Don’t feel bad about looking at guides online early on and getting some tips.

They got rid of Solo Warzone this week so I thought I'd have a little go at ranked trios.

A lot less annoying than regular trios. Had a few decent groups with randos.

But today had a solid 3. Kills AOTS, I had 7 including a melee finish and melee kill of a duo I'd flanked, due to panicking that I didn't have time to reload after downing the first.
Call of Duty®_ Modern Warfare II_20230601185508.webp

Happy with that.

Thinking about giving the old 'Thief' series, the original first person sneaker another go.

Are there any fans?
Good series. At least the first 2 games lol

Unless you have them already - get the GOG ones as the Steam ones are broken. GOG uses DarkEngine2 which is basically a homebrew full of fixes as DarkEngine relies on hardware to an extent and current hardware is obviously much better, so it makes games run at insane speeds and breaks audio.

Same for System Shock 2 if you're gonna go full retro. Speaking of that - System Shock rebooted released a few days ago!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back