Computer games.

@Sid James - I think I got your DriveClub invite too late mate. I should be on a little later this evening if you fancy sending another one.

@fozzy - that PS4 log on thing, just log in with the second controller as a guest and it works fine mate.

Me and a mate did and FA Cup co-op type thing on FIFA Saturday as Arsenal.
Beat West Brom, Preston, Villa, Spurs....got to the semis. Against Wolves.

Lost 1-0 after extra time. Unreal fumes in the Smith living room.

Brand new.

Yeah, bizarrely I haven't tried the 8gb stick on it's own. Oops. Will try that tonight.

Cheers!
I think having an 8gb and a 2gb in at the same time is probably causing the conflict, I've looked at your MB and it's not an old board, that RAM should work fine.

Bet it works with the one 8gb stick in, if it don't, I'd try to return it and get 2x4gb sticks to run in it or run 2x8gb if you don't mind forking out for another 8gb stick, matched pairs for RAM is always best, you are using both slots/channels then, so the RAM can be accessed better as two channels are open, using one stick only one channel is open.

2x4gb is always going to be better than 1x8gb stick, two channels open verses one.

*Also, make sure your MB is running the latest BIOS update.

Last edited:
I think having an 8gb and a 2gb in at the same time is probably causing the conflict, I've looked at your MB and it's not an old board, that RAM should work fine.

Bet it works with the one 8gb stick in, if it don't, I'd try to return it and get 2x4gb sticks to run in it or run 2x8gb if you don't mind forking out for another 8gb stick, matched pairs for RAM is always best, you are using both slots/channels then, so the RAM can be accessed better as two channels are open, using one stick only one channel is open.

2x4gb is always going to be better than 1x8gb stick, two channels open verses one.

*Also, make sure your MB is running the latest BIOS update.

Nice one, cheers!

I grabbed the latest BIOS update last night which didn't help, though probably helped my pc in general - went from 0801 to 4602 or something mad.

I've been told elsewhere to clear my CMOS - which means physically pulling a battery and I don't really fancy that, but I'll have a go. I

I'm kind of loathe to buy another 8gb stick in case I get stuck with 2 that I can't use! If I can get one working then I may well do though, lovely lovely RAM. I bought it online a few months ago (I'm lazy and only just got round to upgrading) so I can't really return it.

Oh and someone also mentioned I should turn off my Dual Channel Memory, surely this is madness?

Nice one, cheers!

I grabbed the latest BIOS update last night which didn't help, though probably helped my pc in general - went from 0801 to 4602 or something mad.

I've been told elsewhere to clear my CMOS - which means physically pulling a battery and I don't really fancy that, but I'll have a go. I

I'm kind of loathe to buy another 8gb stick in case I get stuck with 2 that I can't use! If I can get one working then I may well do though, lovely lovely RAM. I bought it online a few months ago (I'm lazy and only just got round to upgrading) so I can't really return it.

Oh and someone also mentioned I should turn off my Dual Channel Memory, surely this is madness?
Turning off dual channel may be ok or help if you are only using one 8gb stick.

I'm sure your problem is running an 8 with a 2, I'm pretty sure they need to be matched pairs, that's how I've always done it anyway.

Clearing the CMOS is no biggy, my board has a button you press but just remove the battery for a minute then insert it again, it should be like a watch battery on the board somewhere.

But try the other stuff first, I'm pretty sure if you just run the 8gb stick on it's own then you will be fine, then maybe look into running just one channel and switching the empty channel off.

Last edited:

Turning off dual channel may be ok or help if you are only using one 8gb stick.

I'm pretty sure your problem is running an 8 with a 2, I'm pretty sure they need to be matched pairs, that's how I've always done it anyway.

Reading up on it, I think that's it.

It's trying to run the ram in dual channel but can't as they don't match. So I either match them or turn off dual channel. As the latter is cheaper and the performance hit is apparently minimal, I'll be trying that one.

Reading up on it, I think that's it.

It's trying to run the ram in dual channel but can't as they don't match. So I either match them or turn off dual channel. As the latter is cheaper and the performance hit is apparently minimal, I'll be trying that one.

Make sure to note your BIOS settings for hard drive boot order as clearing the CMOS is going to reset all of that to factory (if you end up doing that...I wouldn't, just to avoid causing another issue), which might not be how you're set up. Yeah, it's more than likely your RAM settings. Also make sure to check the manual for which slot you should have the one stick in when running single channel, as that might be important. I'd look at it more for you but I gotta' get my arse to work.

@Sid James - I think I got your DriveClub invite too late mate. I should be on a little later this evening if you fancy sending another one.

@fozzy - that PS4 log on thing, just log in with the second controller as a guest and it works fine mate.

Me and a mate did and FA Cup co-op type thing on FIFA Saturday as Arsenal.
Beat West Brom, Preston, Villa, Spurs....got to the semis. Against Wolves.

Lost 1-0 after extra time. Unreal fumes in the Smith living room.

Honestly mate try it with minecraft it doesnt work.

Battlefield hard line beta downloading as I type.

That's me sorted for the evening.

Still slowly playing my way through Spec Ops: The Line.

I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about with the morale dilemmas. I blew up a small town of civilians with phosphorus and felt terrible for it.

I'm finding it actually fairly challenging too. I got stuck on a few levels and it infuriated me. I miss that from games these days, they're too easy.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back