Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with making signings like this is it - yet again - takes away the option of having lower pressure seasons where we show we're content to build and get better over time. You quite simply can't sign a load of players at or past their peak like him, Tarkowski and Gana and claim you're rebuilding and people have to be patient. If you sign players who are only going to be of value for a short period then you have to maximise their use in that period and try to achieve things while you've got them. After the Onana thing yesterday this feels like one step forward two steps back, it feels like we still have a very muddled recruitment strategy.

It's a very fair point. I wonder if a loan for Coady kind of keeps us on the right side of it?

He's a Red
This honestly holds no sway with me.

Loads of people blame Benitez’s failure on the fact he was a red, but it was down to the fact that he wasn’t a good manager in 2021 as many had pointed out and had been proven over the past 10 years or so.

There’s probably a few reasons why this move wouldn’t be a smart one, but the team he supports shouldn’t be one of them.

I
The problem with making signings like this is it - yet again - takes away the option of having lower pressure seasons where we show we're content to build and get better over time. You quite simply can't sign a load of players at or past their peak like him, Tarkowski and Gana and claim you're rebuilding and people have to be patient. If you sign players who are only going to be of value for a short period then you have to maximise their use in that period and try to achieve things while you've got them. After the Onana thing yesterday this feels like one step forward two steps back, it feels like we still have a very muddled recruitment strategy.

I think the thing is, the older heads are coming in on frees and cheaper deals and all of them have a reputation for being great leaders or absolute workhorses. This is something this squad lacks and I think it's smart to supplement young signings with these kind of players. I don't think it's muddled at all.

I must say Lampard in 6 months has done something that no other manager has done here, that the fans have said for years. He’s recognised that this team cannot have Keane or Holgate in it regularly.

Ancelotti is the only manager if I remember right that actually got them playing well, then again the no crowds would’ve made a huge difference too. We can see though that after Lampard saw last season and wants to bring in 2 experienced leaders it says enough that he knows where we’re lacking.

I think Holgate could be a fine squad player as a defender honestly, not sure he’d want to do that at this point of his career though.
The problem is, he seems to want us to become Wolves.... or Wolves Reserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.