Continuous mentality problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at us playing and I see a lack of pace in the team/squad and a slow temp or no tempo at all at times.

More than anything , we need a midfield general and we need players with serious pace and strength.
People chose to criticise Bolasie, but he had both of those and for me is a huge loss to us.

Indeed but people seem to overlook the mental part of it, to me thats the most important aspect.

Most of the players in the top flight have "talent". If not all of them. It means nothing without the right mentality.

Its what separates the Scholes and Lampards from the Barkleys and Taarabts.
True that. You could add De Bruyne to that list as well. I doubt he's got more natural ability than Deulofeo or Barkley but he's got a winning mentality that our players lack

Changing culture and mentality can usually only come from changing people, and wholesale change is required from the top down.

It is ultimately Moshiri's responsibility now both to drive and communicate change

Whilst I am wholeheartedly in support of him, I am yet to hear, and he doesn't have to do it directly, what exactly his level of ambition for us is. Is it Top 6 consolidation, Champions League qualification, League Titles, or beyond?

Do we intend to make an all-out effort as a club to challenge the status-quo in English football?

Obviously ambition has to be tempered by the means to support it, but I increasingly think we need to see more of a pathway to success, and not made up entirely of the new stadium either.

The other elephant in the room is Kenwright. I accept he divides opinion, but to me he presided over 17 years of stagnation, and was a director under Johnson before that.

With his "What a manager" comments regarding Martinez, I can't see Koeman thinking "I had better get things together here" concerning our poor run currently.

Fundamentally I am concerned that the continuing presence of Kenwright and Elstone is symbolic of the continuance of groupthink at Everton, and too much collective back-slapping.

There should be a healthy tension between board and manager first off. Perhaps there is. I do not think that clubs we regard as our peers would accept performances and/or results at current levels. There would be no excuses, there would be that R-word, ruthlessness. I don't mean that to say that Koeman should be given his marching orders, absolutely not, it's just to emphasise the sheer bloody-mindedness that exists at other clubs when they see standards dropping. At Everton, too many are stuck in a comfort zone on and off the pitch.

Everyone in an executive role at the club should be accountable for performance. Failure to have that culture of delivery and accountability in time filters down to manager and squad.

Every single year. Different manager. Different players. Different owner. Same outcome. Why? Every year it's the same old story. Never mind the lack of trophies, but our Derby record is appalling as well as big games at big away grounds, big games at a a crucial time in a season. Something needs to change, maybe that's better players coming in but we've had the same problem for as long as I can remember as a fan.

I'm expecting big things in the future with a new man on board with ambition, but it needs to start with the mentality with not just the players, but with the whole club.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. As long as we keep considering ourselves/letting others present us as "plucky little Everton" we'll never move beyond the "best of the rest" type position. The board, various managers, players, pundits, journalists and even many of our own fans perpetuate this nonsense. Until, collectively, we decide that we are a club that deserves to be at the top table then we will continue to stagnate (or worse). We're a Grand Old Team with a rich history and we should act that way at all times.

Sorry to say this and fully expect to get shot down but for me Barkley reminds me of "the emperors new clothes". I think this manager has seen through him, the last two England managers and the current one either didn't pick him in their squads or didn't play him in the biggest football competition outside the world cup, in a team that was friggin awful Ross couldn't get on the pitch. Ask yourselves why?
Now I know someone will pipe up that its the fans fault cos they put too much pressure on him or the managers fault cos the play him out of position or expect too much from him. But hes a professional footballer playing in the premier league and fans/managers/pundits expect those "talented " players to produce the goods a lot more often than Ross Barkley has done in recent seasons.
Let me say that in no way do I blame Ross for the crap the team as a whole has produced in recent years. You can see the lad loves this club and wants to do his best but for whatever reason he just doesn't produce.

Dare I say it but id love a yard dog like Scott Brown (not literally him but of that snide/leader) to get in the opposition faces and refuse to lie down. Im sure @Mikey_Fitzgerald will have a more in depth analysis of him.

Even if this means going to the championship for example to find a tough character who has rose through the divisions, over to you Steve Walsh.
Scott Brown ?
Your having a laugh mate
He'd never hack it in England
No doubt he's respected by his colleagues at Celtic and no doubt the spl and he's a good captain for his team at that level
His temperaments not great
Had his chance to go to England but chose Celtic
If he's a Celtic man and feels he could make his team successful abroad as well as home , I genuinely hold him in high regard,but it's a no for me

Scott Brown ?
Your having a laugh mate
He'd never hack it in England
No doubt he's respected by his colleagues at Celtic and no doubt the spl and he's a good captain for his team at that level
His temperaments not great
Had his chance to go to England but chose Celtic
If he's a Celtic man and feels he could make his team successful abroad as well as home , I genuinely hold him in high regard,but it's a no for me

Point taken, I would like to direct your attention to the bit where I said not literally him, but a snide/leader like him.
You touched upon the reason why I would like a player of that type, highlighted above. If we have a player that everyone in the league doesn't take lightly, commands the respect of the dressing room, then isn't that the player we are lacking ?

Good post. As they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. A lot on here will remember the first half of the 1983-84 season. Awful results (except the league cup), awful football, discontented fanbase and a team of players who had never won anything (ok Andy Gray won the LC with Wolves and Villa).
The difference, obviously, is one of quality. However, as I say, that quality is easy to see with hindsight. How many of us can honestly say they knew that those players were as good as they turned out to be? How many of us can honestly say they didn't doubt Howard Kendall in December 83. I certainly did. I wasn't calling for his head but I had my doubts.

I'm not suggesting for one minute this group can reproduce anything approaching the heights we saw with that team. I do insist though that we're probably not as bad as we appear at the moment.

I said in another thread that the right players (quality not quantity) brought in could produce the right 'chemical' reaction from these players.
I still believe that.

Yes mate, sometimes it's just one player that would spark that 'chemical' reaction you speak of. My top 2 choices given the chance would be Pickford and VVD, 2 players there who aren't scared to have a go at teammates and have that bit of quality we need. Plus we need about 5 new midfielders and a couple of strikers but you get my point ;)

Point taken, I would like to direct your attention to the bit where I said not literally him, but a snide/leader like him.
You touched upon the reason why I would like a player of that type, highlighted above. If we have a player that everyone in the league doesn't take lightly, commands the respect of the dressing room, then isn't that the player we are lacking ?
Sorry misread your point
Yes we do need a snide leader
Speaking off which the takle on Henderson ,why oh why wasn't that done on Gerrard every derby.
Gerrard was far more deserving IMO
Think McCarthy could easily fill the roll with seamus being a good back up

True that. You could add De Bruyne to that list as well. I doubt he's got more natural ability than Deulofeo or Barkley but he's got a winning mentality that our players lack

tzehJ7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back