Crystal Palace v Everton 31 January 2015 - From the Palace end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rode our luck for most of the game, created little till late on, Broken nose, one goal away from caving in, 2 shots on target (one bouncing off lukaku into the net) I was watching it hiding behind the couch for 89 minutes.

You must have looked up at the wrong moments then lol

Poor pitch, poor conditions, it was never going to be a classic.

Palace played to our strengths yesterday by launching balls through the middle. Robles, Jags and Stones excelled defensively plus a better game from Barry and the ever improving Besic.

Until the last 20 minutes or so (when Oviedo came on) we were poor on the flanks and as such Lukaku was pretty isolated.

Overall shape was much better, team spirit was much better and an ugly win was exactly what we needed.

Post match, team, management and rest of Everton contingent were very happy with their days work.

We are going to get absolutely raped in the derby
That little clip there is literally McGeady the player, isn't it? terrific work rate and will give everything for the team, chasing down balls that seemed lost. what a man. oh wait, that doesn't matter because his decisions are so bad that he didnt pass across the box and his finishing is so hot and cold that katy perry's contacting her lawyers as we speak
Sublime? It was a yard too far forward.
Well, a foot, maybe.

I was commenting on the last post. Don't know how the the 1st two got in.

Still, while I'm here, why do you think we'll get 'raped' next week, moosed? They aren't that good.

Palace played to our strengths yesterday by launching balls through the middle. Robles, Jags and Stones excelled defensively plus a better game from Barry and the ever improving Besic.

Until the last 20 minutes or so (when Oviedo came on) we were poor on the flanks and as such Lukaku was pretty isolated.

Overall shape was much better, team spirit was much better and an ugly win was exactly what we needed.

Post match, team, management and rest of Everton contingent were very happy with their days work.
That's a better outlook! ;)

Rode our luck for most of the game, created little till late on, Broken nose, one goal away from caving in, 2 shots on target (one bouncing off lukaku into the net) I was watching it hiding behind the couch for 89 minutes.
We only rode our luck immediately after we scored and that's it. We restricted them to lots of punts and we dealt with those punts better as the game went on. They really didn't have that many clear cut chances and in the end it was a very good result for us considering they beat Soton and Spurs recently. Ugly game, bad pitch, 3 points against an in form team, we cannot grumble.

A couple of comments on the match.

Lukaku's first touch is mostly bad and I think we may have to accept him for what he is - an accumulator of goals
by whatever means. And in the end, that's all he has to be.

There seemed to be a lot less tiki taka, and while it was a very productive part of the game plan last season, it hasn't worked as well this time around. We kept it to no more than four or five sideways passes and when nothing was on offer just passed it back to Joel who hoofed it up
the ground. Not very School of Science but we got the 3 points and if that's what's going to get results, it'll do for the time being.

Er, I didn't think Naismith was that bad. He made mistakes, but put in a good shift overall, imo.

Don't know how well you will welcome a new American supporter to your conversation, but here are my comments...
EFC played well at the back, to include Barry. I always forget just how dependable Baines is when I don't watch him regularly.

For the most part though, I agree with the sentiment that there were 2 minutes of joy and 88 minutes spent "hiding behind the couch" Until Palace started pressing for the equalizer and committing their midfield further up the pitch, the attack struggled. Maybe it was Olviedo, but it seemed Naismith and Besic had more room late on as well. I can't help but hope that the return of Atsu will eventually relieve some of the stagnant attack.
I thought Kone did some things better than Lukaku in is brief time out there. He made better decisions and seemed more composed on the ball than Lukaku when he wasn't directly attacking the net (which I think is truly Lukaku's talent, squaring his shoulders to goal and powering the attack). In my opinion the attack is the problem right now (I know- that is obvious) and it is about much more than the guy finishing.

OK, now to be critical. Mirallas is more talented than he plays at Everton including yesterday's match. Maybe he is out of position, maybe he should be at the point of the diamond in Naismith's spot, but he does not show that dynamic skill set when playing for this club. Some of you boys may like McGeady, but I do not. He drifts off the ball into other players' areas and he doesn't possess any top level skills. I think he and Naismith are good reserves, but I like Besic with Olviedo on the left (or Ross with either Mo or Olviedo across) and Mirallas better in those two spots. (Kone, Atsu, Lukaku, a late transfer? can handle the striker spots) Speed kills in those midfield/wing spots of the diamond and that's what I would like to see out there.

Everton have the talent on the squad to be top 6. Our US man Timmy has not helped things this campaign. Sorry about that. But we still have Europa hopes and despite a challenging schedule, appear to be putting a safe distance between ourselves and the championship with some money to spend this summer.

A couple of comments on the match.

Lukaku's first touch is mostly bad and I think we may have to accept him for what he is - an accumulator of goals
by whatever means. And in the end, that's all he has to be.

There seemed to be a lot less tiki taka, and while it was a very productive part of the game plan last season, it hasn't worked as well this time around. We kept it to no more than four or five sideways passes and when nothing was on offer just passed it back to Joel who hoofed it up
the ground. Not very School of Science but we got the 3 points and if that's what's going to get results, it'll do for the time being.

Er, I didn't think Naismith was that bad. He made mistakes, but put in a good shift overall, imo.

I agree with much of your opinion here, but the bolded part is the most important I suppose. Looking forward to the derby next time out.

I think yesterday showed Martinez does have this plan B that so many people on here have been claiming he doesn't have over the season. We set up to dig in, make sure we win the second ball in and around our box, knowing their main attacks will be coming from long balls/crosses and hit them on the counter.

I think yesterday showed Martinez does have this plan B that so many people on here have been claiming he doesn't have over the season. We set up to dig in, make sure we win the second ball in and around our box, knowing their main attacks will be coming from long balls/crosses and hit them on the counter.
I get the feeling the players have probably told the boss how it needs to be.

And the Everton MOM as decreed by Chris Kamara was.......'Steven Naismith...ran ,tackled and created all afternoon'
Its all about opinions ,folks.

Yeah probably did to be honest:eek:, I was terrified watching Everton yesterday, and was stressed out as I've ever been for a long, long time. All cogent points you made and probably closer to the mark if I'm honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back