Cycling thread

It's interesting isn't it? Pog, Vingegaard, Remco, and MvdP seem likely to win the vast majority of races they enter, and its left the rest scrabbling around a bit. I'm sure they thought that Bernal was going to be that kind of generational talent to carry the baton for them, but whatever has changed since he got his injury, he's well off the pace. I suspect it's as simple as that rather than them not doing certain things. I mean TGH hasn't exactly ripped up trees since going to Trek.
Sure, Bernal had been found as a GC leader to follow Froome. But alas.
That's what's lacking, GC potential leader.
I think TGH has had injuries or sickness problems in his first season over there.
Rumours that Pidcock going there too.?

Ineos in bits already in the Vuelta.
Team selection and DS being criticised.
Is Jim losing interest in favour of his new toy?

Saw this yesterday from Barry Glendenning and I have no idea whether the quote is valid but couldn't get past how weird it is to suggest you're saving 7% on your setup's paint weight when there's still a UCI weight limit to comply with. Just seems focused on needless PR without results; I still don't know much about cycling but the Ineos team seems to lack talent or strategy or both. They seem like a rich man's Movistar.

Saw this yesterday from Barry Glendenning and I have no idea whether the quote is valid but couldn't get past how weird it is to suggest you're saving 7% on your setup's paint weight when there's still a UCI weight limit to comply with. Just seems focused on needless PR without results; I still don't know much about cycling but the Ineos team seems to lack talent or strategy or both. They seem like a rich man's Movistar.

Ineos sells paint, right?

Must be still on that "marginal gains" thing;
But really, how marginal, what is the weight of paint on a modern frame? few hundred grams I would guess.
So 7% of that could be 20 or 30g at the most. About an ounce!
As has been suggested, surely a publicity stunt.

Remember the Froome ride in 2018 that had everyone howling? 18 year Torres (from UAE unsurprisingly) just went 3 and a half minutes faster up the Finestre in the Avenir. That's a heck of a lot of "nutritional and aero" gains in 6 years to allow a neo pro to smash the best GT rider of his generation.
Came online to post this. You beat me to it.
Unbelievable.
Also still a kid

Last edited:

We had a bottle thrown from a passing car at our cycle group on Sunday.

Last week a club mate was physically assaulted when the driver of a van cut him off at a junction and then got out and pushed him off his bike and then threatened him.

The antagonism towards cyclists is no laughing matter considering how many cyclists get killed by cars every year

We had a bottle thrown from a passing car at our cycle group on Sunday.

Last week a club mate was physically assaulted when the driver of a van cut him off at a junction and then got out and pushed him off his bike and then threatened him.

The antagonism towards cyclists is no laughing matter considering how many cyclists get killed by cars every year
Would honestly say the worst drivers in the world are all in Liverpool, both in terms of attitude and ability.

Just done a week in north Wales in the hills and it was heaven not having to protect yourself from tubby scouse motorists.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back