Cycling thread

Zwift really does make training more interesting, especially if you get a bunch of regulars doing events.
Yeah, even if it's something of a placebo effect of group training it works for me.

With an interactive turbo trainer I'm also now doing the workout sessions specifically as they are designed. So, if there's something you want to improve you can select the workouts for it and hit the correct watts 100%

Yeah, even if it's something of a placebo effect of group training it works for me.

With an interactive turbo trainer I'm also now doing the workout sessions specifically as they are designed. So, if there's something you want to improve you can select the workouts for it and hit the correct watts 100%
Smart trainers make a huge difference. I bought one last winter. Felt like I kept my fitness over the winter and went into April/May in good form.

I used to go out in all kind of weather and in the dark. It was so hard to get motivated for that. But now a good solid 45-60min work out indoors is a lot more beneficial.

Used to train on a standard turbo but found it really dull, hence the outdoor winter rides in the dark.

Have to say I prefer Rouvy to Zwift though. Just something about real places and video that makes it more interesting to me.

Turned 30 and decided to get fit so going to be getting a bike once the one I want (Trek FX 2) is available at my local store in a couple weeks.
I haven't rode one in 20 years so gonna take some getting used to. Honestly terrified of having to share the roads with cars, especially where I live, so thinking I might start off with by driving to some no traffic routes I found on some local cycling website.

Turned 30 and decided to get fit so going to be getting a bike once the one I want (Trek FX 2) is available at my local store in a couple weeks.
I haven't rode one in 20 years so gonna take some getting used to. Honestly terrified of having to share the roads with cars, especially where I live, so thinking I might start off with by driving to some no traffic routes I found on some local cycling website.
Good luck

Are there any schemes (or clubs) whereby you can ride with others? This is often a great way to pick up some routes and you learn safe road habits.

Depends where you live obviously mate, but there are plenty of offroad routes, now trendily called 'gravel routes'. You'll see loads of groups on the likes of FB.

Where do you live? This is for cycling and not stalking* purposes I hasten to add.

*I haven't got my stalking undies on, lucky for you.

Though the term gravel route can be a bit generous, you would have needed a land rover to get up the gravel route Kamoot sent me on the other week
I know what you mean, tbh round here, it changes massively come November. Those canal towpaths which were so pleasant in August, start to resemble The Somme, late Autumn.

Depends where you live obviously mate, but there are plenty of offroad routes, now trendily called 'gravel routes'. You'll see loads of groups on the likes of FB.

Where do you live? This is for cycling and not stalking* purposes I hasten to add.

*I haven't got my stalking undies on, lucky for you.
Plymouth. Very hilly despite being coastal but the whole of Dartmoor close by once I build up some fitness.
Found this site (https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/route-27/) which has a long route with large sections traffic-free. I think I'll start here.

Plymouth. Very hilly despite being coastal but the whole of Dartmoor close by once I build up some fitness.
Found this site (https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/route-27/) which has a long route with large sections traffic-free. I think I'll start here.
Sounds like an interesting place to explore mate, I'm sure there will be some ace coastal routes, and some of the backroads will be relatively safe once you get off the A roads?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back