Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than a good night - six goals and a hatful of assists in eight games.
Lingard has been in the PL for 6 seasons now. He's been average for 5 of them. But now he has had one 8 game spell where he looks world class. Which is more likely his level?

I think the best example I can think of for this phenomenon is Son. Through 8 games this year he had 8 goals and 2 assists and basically scored on every shot. Although he's always been good this was far away from his usual level of performance. Did Son suddenly become a top 10 player in the world? No! He had a hot streak and came back to Earth.

So as I said, come back to me in October if Lingard is still doing this. I was serious about that.

He had a good night. Come back to me in October
Lingard has been in the PL for 6 seasons now. He's been average for 5 of them. But now he has had one 8 game spell where he looks world class. Which is more likely his level?

I think the best example I can think of for this phenomenon is Son. Through 8 games this year he had 8 goals and 2 assists and basically scored on every shot. Although he's always been good this was far away from his usual level of performance. Did Son suddenly become a top 10 player in the world? No! He had a hot streak and came back to Earth.

So as I said, come back to me in October if Lingard is still doing this. I was serious about that.
Lingard is great in a counter side. At Man Utd he is not ideal, as they need to beat the low block.

Lingard is great in a counter side. At Man Utd he is not ideal, as they need to beat the low block.
Ok, if he shows that to be the case for the next several months than I will admit that I was wrong but I am not jumping on an 8 game sample.

Ok, if he shows that to be the case for the next several months than I will admit that I was wrong but I am not jumping on an 8 game sample.
Yeah, its too short. I just think he hit a slump, and is the sort of guy who will flourish in a lesser team as a focal point, rather than as a rotation player at Man Utd.

It's a fair point. As a loan, he's worked out brilliantly for Moyes. No guarantees though. He could have gone badly Josh King (or indeed, vice versa - just our luck).

Big Kevin Campbell had a similar hot streak on loam for us. Vital contribution. A very good plater for us too once signed, but he didn't continue at that initial level.

It's a fair point. As a loan, he's worked out brilliantly for Moyes. No guarantees though. He could have gone badly Josh King (or indeed, vice versa - just our luck).

Big Kevin Campbell had a similar hot streak on loam for us. Vital contribution. A very good plater for us too once signed, but he didn't continue at that initial level.

What its shown is there is no substitute for a good DOF/scout at the club. Moyes turned water into wine during his time at Everton signing bargains and he's doing it now at WHU with the likes of Soucek, Coufal & Lingard.

Meanwhile we champion the clown DOF of ours who's spent £77 million on Iwobi, Kean & Gomes whilst giving Bernard £120k+ a week contract.

If he is offered a new contract I give up with this club.

What its shown is there is no substitute for a good DOF/scout at the club. Moyes turned water into wine during his time at Everton signing bargains and he's doing it now at WHU with the likes of Soucek, Coufal & Lingard.

Meanwhile we champion the clown DOF of ours who's spent £77 million on Iwobi, Kean & Gomes whilst giving Bernard £120k+ a week contract.

If he is offered a new contract I give up with this club.
If there is one thing I miss about the Moyes era is the ability to scout well. Sure there were a few misses (Shandy Van Der Meyde, Bily, Kroldrup, Drenthe) but by and large he got tremendous value from players.

Some of Martinez' recruitment was questionable, but there were some excellent signings too. It all went properly south at the start of the Moshiri era and subsequent changes. Technically Niasse was whilst Martinez was here, but still not sure he was happy with it.

If they finish 4th. Then honestly they deserve it.

They winning the games that matter simple as that.

We lose to dross regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back