Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to see Moyes in a kinder light again. Sure we bottled a lot of big games under him, but he built teams with players that gave it their all for the shirt. Since he left, our player recruitment has gone to crap as well. With the exception of that first season under Martinez, post Moyes era Everton have been a pitiful shambles. The pre Moyes Everton Howard Kendall mark three/Walter Smith era was a shambles as well. In the years from 1994 to 2002, this club was in serious danger of doing a Sheffield Wednesday.

But Moyes put a stop to that, and got us moving up the table. That fourth place season with Moyes, was a bigger achievement than Bobbys 72 points season as well. Moyes cracked the glass ceiling, while Martinez didn't. I'm sorry @davek but David Moyes has been Evertons best manager post Joe Royle. I think deep down you would agree with me.
Ohhhhhhhh God, what have you done?

He's a dullard who'll win nothing and only offer sterile football and safety each season...well, we get safety each season anyway...since the early 1950s.
That 4th place finish after losing Wayne Rooney in the off season, and everyone saying we were going to be relegated, trumps Bobbys first season for me. We had Trevor Birch walking out as CEO as well. The club was a shambles that summer. We played good football at times under Moyes as well. Bobbys last two seasons were diabolical. Moyes was manager for 11 years, and he only finished twice in the bottom half of the table. Moyes came closer than Martinez to winning a trophy as well.

Last edited:
That 4th place finish after losing Wayne Rooney in the off season, and everyone saying we were going to be relegated, trumps Bobbys first season for me. We had Trevor Birch walking out as CEO as well. The club was a shambles that summer. We played good football at times under Moyes as well. Bobbys last two seasons were diabolical. Moyes was manager for 11 years, and he only finished twice in the bottom half of the table. Moyes came closer than Martinez to winning a trophy as well.
61 points for 4th. A freak occurrence.

Only two managers Colin Harvey and David Moyes have finished as high as 4th, since we last won the league. Two 4th place finishes, is the best we could do in the last 34 years. How depressing!
61 points...Martinez would have secured CL qualifiers with weeks to spare in that first season.

So we should be telling the RS to celebrate winning the league in back to back years because the 97 points they got in 2019 wins you the title every other year?

Points don't matter Dave, where you place matters.
Points are the biggest barometer. How can they not be?

Points are the biggest barometer. How can they not be?
Because points are subjective to how the league as a whole is. It didn't matter, at all, that the points were finished on last year would "normally" get you Europe. We finished 10th. That's all that matters. There's no "in a different year we'd probably be in Champions League" trophy, we finished 5th that year.

What happens when you give a manager time and funds to bring in his own players.

Something the Blue Geordies cant understand demanding a new manager every 6 months.

Let’s not forget he wasn’t good enough according to some when he managed us, certainly wasn’t worthy to grace our club a second time yet since he’s left we’ve not had a squad or a team play with any conviction that they actually care if we play well. Hats off to him, had a bad few years but showing again why he won manager of the year awards. Knows how to get the best out of a limited squad and limited resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back