Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s not forget taking off a striker for a defender and then losing. Every time we where winning it would be 15 mins full backs to the wall.
I don’t think he a lucky manager either

I also think we could have got an extra season out of Cahill if he had changed him to impact sub instead of regular starter. He was one of the first to change to 4-5-1 however this formation got found out and he still stuck with it religiously. In hindsight he should have left earlier but we wanted to play safe as well.

They sacked because the idiot allowed a clause in his contract that if he didn’t qualify for the CL they could sack him for peanuts instead of the36 million it would have cost them
Didnt know that. School boy error.
Bet he wasn’t predicting it was going to go the way it did

I also think we could have got an extra season out of Cahill if he had changed him to impact sub instead of regular starter. He was one of the first to change to 4-5-1 however this formation got found out and he still stuck with it religiously. In hindsight he should have left earlier but we wanted to play safe as well.
he just needed more money. Would have signed better players to fit into his foundations and would have done well

He did a " Koeman " at Sunderland though didn`t he ?

Bought in a load of overpaid wasters, who`d never even heard of Sunderland until they saw the cheque book open.

I know they were very badly run, but Moyes really did them no favours at all.

Moyes isn`t remembered fondly by the Sunderland fans,
Yeah Sunderland he signed every squad player we were struggling to get off the books.

They sacked because the idiot allowed a clause in his contract that if he didn’t qualify for the CL they could sack him for peanuts instead of the36 million it would have cost them
I think whoever told you that has just made it up. He was sacked part way through the season, so it wouldn't have activated that clause, even if it did exist

Nah, most teams didn't give it a go. Every now and then a team got lucky, but pretty much every team was hoping for a draw at best. I remember discussing this before, I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like the top 4 only lost 3 home games between them in 5 years against non-top 4 teams. That's something like 300 games between them with only 3 defeats. Teams that did "have a go" pretty much always lost.

We were consistently 5th or 6th during those years, so definitely should have expected better results, and were better equipped to have "more of a go" than the rest, but if the chances of winning were 1 in a hundred, playing for a draw was actually sensible (although disappointing and boring)
Sorry for bringing you back to this.

I mean there were games when our "go" was 1 shot on target and 30% possession, that's not even playing for a draw, that's damage limitations from the get-go.
No spirit and no fight against even the RS, players having major players out and in a bad run of form or struggling defensively - Davey Moyes here to save them by sitting back all game.

I'd get it if it was a way to counter, but we rarely, if ever, played counter attacking, and even if we did it looked random, not like something we've actually prepared for.

I bet he'd love to finish above that lot this season, personally I'm all for this, as long as we finish above West Ham.
Imagine the asterix title defence ending below us and a David Moyes West Ham lol
It would be horrific for them to miss out on top 4 to us but imagine then missing out on Europa League to David Moyes.
On current form, you really can’t rule it out either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back