Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the 2 final day escapes in 94 and 98, or the regular bottom half finishes with about 42-45 points before he arrived?

Moyes was great for Everton. Turned us around from being a laughing stock, finishing 13th to 17th, to 5th-8th, getting 15+ more points per season, and even had us 4th one year.

Had his limitations which West Ham will probably see as well, but overall a very good manager at getting the most out of more limited players.

Other than 13-14 and 16-17, and possibly this season (playing much worse football) we've been no where near the Moyes era.

My problem with moyes wasnt his performance. It was his narrative.

Kind of right in what he is saying, when we hired Smith we were only 3 years from our last trophy and 11 from our last league title. We were still talked about as a big club despite the problems. Moyes' narrative was always to play it as low key and in one way with the cash we had it's not like he was wrong but he was the top man in trying to lower expectations.

Moyes was a better manager for us and what we needed at the time, but he could have done that and talked us back up once we had a decent team around 2007. He was always happy to put us as underdogs and that's partly why we went decades not winning at places as we were happy trying to contain and sneak a draw.

Thanks

You think were a small club punching up for getting 5th?

I was alive in the 80s mate
Then you also were alive in the 90s then.

Our average league placing was 17, we had 2 last day relegation fights.

Thats the problem with a large portion of our fanbase, they think its still the 80s, they think we are still relevant as a football club, we arent and we weren't when Moyes saved us.

Then you also were alive in the 90s then.

Our average league placing was 17, we had 2 last day relegation fights.

Thats the problem with a large portion of our fanbase, they think its still the 80s, they think we are still relevant as a football club, we arent and we weren't when Moyes saved us.

Im far from stuck in the 80s i was there in the 90s. I was there under moyes mate for a time.

He saved us yes? Fair enough. So if thats the bar why wasnt big sam good enough. He apparently saved us aswell.

Its just my opinion that he had a narrative which conveniently boosted his own brand at the expense of his employers faiding reputation.

Im far from stuck in the 80s i was there in the 90s. I was there under moyes mate for a time.

He saved us yes? Fair enough. So if thats the bar why wasnt big sam good enough. He apparently saved us aswell.

Its just my opinion that he had a narrative which conveniently boosted his own brand at the expense of his employers faiding reputation.
Moyes gave us the platform we have now, without him we are probably rocking about in League One, wondering if Davey Nugent will break 5 goals for the season.

Big Sam was sacked for being Big Sam, no other reason.

You think were a small club punching up for getting 5th?

I was alive in the 80s mate

I was alive but not aware, it is unfair to use seeing the success in the 80s as base for hatred for somebody who got us close to going that extra step, especially how big the drop off was in the 90s.

Some of us can have a view where we respect what Moyes did after the 90s and still know that he had his limitations.

What I don't generally understand is the hatred towards Moyes, he had a mind block when it came to getting us to the next step but he got us back to believing (fans) that we could compete up the top of the league again.

Personally, I don't generally see us as a big, small or medium sized club. I don't like the 'we are bigger than you' contest. I celebrate our history and we have a proud history but football is played in the present not the past. He gave us some respect back at the time, regardless of his main faults.

He's got his mojo back and is doing at West Ham what he did for us...including not being able to kick on to catch up the big boys.
If the dildo bros have any sense they'll stick with him...but, in the end, they won't.
They'll forget that they're a long way behind in 4th place to the big 2 and the lesser Spurs in 3rd
Especially if he has 2nd season syndrome next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back