Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

David Moyes - Taking a knife to a gunfight at West Ham, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed the bad experiences at United, Sociadad and Sunderland to prove his mettle after being cushty here for 11 years
I believe you are right, I made a similar point to a friend of mine couple of months back.

He had to leave Everton, he was getting into the comfort zone with us, the hellish experiences at those places has changed him for the better, I believe.

I believe you are right, I made a similar point to a friend of mine couple of months back.

He had to leave Everton, he was getting into the comfort zone with us, the hellish experiences at those places has changed him for the better, I believe.
Dunno if Sociedad qualifies as a "hellish experience." He had a gay old time staying for a year in one of the world's finest hotels, by all accounts!

Sounds like a Clough in Brighton experience.

I'm starting to see Moyes in a kinder light again. Sure we bottled a lot of big games under him, but he built teams with players that gave it their all for the shirt. Since he left, our player recruitment has gone to crap as well. With the exception of that first season under Martinez, post Moyes era Everton have been a pitiful shambles. The pre Moyes Everton Howard Kendall mark three/Walter Smith era was a shambles as well. In the years from 1994 to 2002, this club was in serious danger of doing a Sheffield Wednesday.

But Moyes put a stop to that, and got us moving up the table. That fourth place season with Moyes, was a bigger achievement than Bobbys 72 points season as well. Moyes cracked the glass ceiling, while Martinez didn't. I'm sorry @davek but David Moyes has been Evertons best manager post Joe Royle. I think deep down you would agree with me.

Last edited:
I'm starting to see Moyes in a kinder light again. Sure we bottled a lot of big games under him, but he built teams with players that gave it their all for the shirt. Since he left, our player recruitment has gone to crap as well. With the exception of that first season under Martinez, post Moyes era Everton have been a pitiful shambles. The pre Moyes Everton Howard Kendall mark three/Walter Smith era was a shambles as well. In the years from 1994 to 2002, this club was in serious danger of doing a Sheffield Wednesday.

But Moyes put a stop to that, and got us moving up the table. That fourth place season with Moyes, was a bigger achievement than Bobbys 72 points season as well. Moyes cracked the glass ceiling, while Martinez didn't. I'm sorry @davek but David Moyes has been Evertons best manager post Joe Royle. I think deep down you would agree with me.
Love Joe, but Moyes longevity does it for me. He fell just short of an FA Cup, but was better overall.

Love Joe, but Moyes longevity does it for me. He fell just short of an FA Cup, but was better overall.
Moyes was a good manager for us. But big Joe won us a trophy, and he never lost to the rs either! Our form was very bad when he left though, but he could have turned it around. But of course as we know, he had that falling out with Peter Johnson, and the rest is history as they say. I have David Moyes in the Billy Bingham/Gordon Lee category of decent Everton managers, who were very unlucky not to win a trophy.

Joe Royle all the way. He had the knack and in retrospect knew how to deal with players to get them to work hard and apply themselves and take their chances. Who knows what he would have done if he stayed longer. Moyes righted a long listing ship and was not supported financially when he still had momentum and was stale for his last few seasons. It's really hard to compare really.

Plus he's an Evertonian and when he left it was certainly his principle of only wanting the best for Everton that led to his resignation in a truly precarious period for the club. Moyes's blotting of his copybook when he left really ruins his legacy for me.

His head definitely swelled up at Utd and his belittling statements about us set the fans against him, but then again the manager in charge of us now has said similar.

The difference between Joe Royle and Moyes is that we didn't have an inferiority complex under Royle. We weren't scared of anyone and Royle loved upsetting the big teams, stemming from his time at Oldham. Meanwhile Moyes never missed an opportunity to big himself up at the expense of the team . He was a genius manager shopping at Aldi and taking his knife to a gunfight. That attitude is the reason we didn't win a trophy.

Even with europa games, they have no injuries and can play the same team and rotate for europa every week.

when was the last time everton could play the same full strength 11 for 5 games in a row?

He's a dullard who'll win nothing and only offer sterile football and safety each season...well, we get safety each season anyway...since the early 1950s.

Joe Royle all the way. He had the knack and in retrospect knew how to deal with players to get them to work hard and apply themselves and take their chances. Who knows what he would have done if he stayed longer. Moyes righted a long listing ship and was not supported financially when he still had momentum and was stale for his last few seasons. It's really hard to compare really.

Plus he's an Evertonian and when he left it was certainly his principle of only wanting the best for Everton that led to his resignation in a truly precarious period for the club. Moyes's blotting of his copybook when he left really ruins his legacy for me.
Yeah it all comes down to how you weight it. It became extremely difficult to win a trophy in the Sky 4 era, and that FA Cup final just underlined it. Chelsea were ridiculously stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back