2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that’s what doesn’t make sense to me. If we look at this coldly and logically and remove all of the sentimental baggage that comes with him, it’s a player who hasn’t played football or even trained for 18 months, who let’s be honest, wasn’t any good for at least 3 years before that too. He’s also so far away from what our manager would normally want in a player, someone who can only play one specific position, doesn’t press, doesn’t track back or offer anything defensively. It makes no sense why he would be so determined to re sign him. There’s something else going on here for me.
Maybe. We will never know unless it actually happens. As you said he hasn’t kicked a ball in the league for a long time and it certainly doesn’t come without risk. I doubt the club would do this without Dan and Ryan’s consent though- and they are actual business men. I don’t think they would just let the previous administration sign someone for sentimental value.

It was quoted as "substantial" prior to the "revised payment structure" which suggests given that the structure has been changed, it remains substantial just structured differently.

I was quoting what was already in the public domain from the same source. The Athletic. FYI.
Nope, nowhere in the article does it say substantial. (As per your own link to it below)

There may well be a fee but nothing suggests that will be substantial. You mention substantial in the below quote with no quotation marks. And then from that point you start using quotation marks about as if it’s genuine.

A revised payment structure doesn’t mean we are just going to give them £40m as originally agreed but in a different way. It means they are revising the payments and the structure of them.
The Athletic are saying repeatedly "revised payment structure". That means there is a fee. The structure of which has been revised from the original. There is going to be fees. Substantial ones.

View attachment 264343

A revised payment structure continues to suggest the fees will be "substantial". Just the structure is revised.

Exactly this. If this does not work out then there needs to be sackings at the club, just as Bill Kenwright should have been booted into outer space for bringing him in in the first place, along with Maupay and various others

1000038777.webp

Nope, nowhere in the article does it say substantial. (As per your own link to it below)

There may well be a fee but nothing suggests that will be substantial. You mention substantial in the below quote with no quotation marks. And then from that point you start using quotation marks about as if it’s genuine.

A revised payment structure doesn’t mean we are just going to give them £40m as originally agreed but in a different way. It means they are revising the payments and the structure of them.

Until Paddy Boyland removes the "substantial" requirement as was previously cited numerous times, it remains. Regardless of a "revised payment structure"

Paddy Boyland in the Athletic was quoted by Lyndon Lloyd of ToffeeWeb right there on it 👇

View attachment 263982

You should donate the £200 to CancerResearch @BNJ1878

Wait...a revised payment structure so we don't have to pay a big lump sum? Who'd have thunk it?

I was under the impression the contract would just continue as normal and we'd trigger a tens of millions of clauses.

Wow.

We would have to be complete and utter fools to offer him another contract. He will be forever either injured or have psychological problems. We have done well over and above to help the lad with his many problems and have got practically zero in return and were gifted with an end of contract and nothing more to pay. To recommit with what we already know would be completely insane. May as well just connect a drain pipe to your wallet.

Well that’s what doesn’t make sense to me. If we look at this coldly and logically and remove all of the sentimental baggage that comes with him, it’s a player who hasn’t played football or even trained for 18 months, who let’s be honest, wasn’t any good for at least 3 years before that too. He’s also so far away from what our manager would normally want in a player, someone who can only play one specific position, doesn’t press, doesn’t track back or offer anything defensively. It makes no sense why he would be so determined to re sign him. There’s something else going on here for me.

I agree with most of this. Although the bit about him not pressing is simply wrong. Pochettino would not have entertained a player in Dele's position who didn't press.

I think it's as simple as Dyche has liked the bits he's seen in training and fancies having a crack at getting a tune out of Dele.

Is that wise? Probably not. The evidence of the last 5 years or so suggests he's not going to get back to the player he was.

But - if he's on much reduced wages, there's no upfront fees to concern ourselves with unless/until he's sold (yet to be confirmed), then it's at least an affordable gamble.

I think this has been on the cards since the moment Everton didn't announce that Dele was being released as they did with Gomes.

I feel better about this given we have signed N'Diaye as well, so none of us will be hanging all our hopes on Dele having an unlikely renaissance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back