2023/24 Dele

I don’t get the mentality of a lot of posters here hating on Dele because he’s rich. What difference does it make how much we’ve paid him, what car he drives and what kind of jeans he wears of all things?
He’s been injured and addicted to sleeping pills because he couldn’t deal with being raped and involved in gangs etc. whilst he want a child - that’s why he hasn’t played.

The reason he is incredibly wealthy is actually a reason we should care about on the footballing side - it’s because he was once the best attacking talent in the country and used to be the first name on the England team sheet.

I’ve not seen anyone saying he’ll come back and be world class again, but anyone with a bit of common sense knows these points:

1. We shouldn’t have ever signed him on a three year deal but it’s not exactly his fault that Kenwright chose to and why would he say no?
2. Him coming out and doing that interview after going to rehab means he wants to get better and play football again
3. He knows how to be a top level footballer
4. Dyche would never ever play someone who isn’t ‘Dyche fit’
5. Dyche wouldn’t drop someone like Doucoure for anyone who isn’t 100% bought in and committed to the cause - see players like Gray and Iwobi being moved on because of their mentality

Who knows what will happen, but if we see him line up again, it won’t be the half fit lad playing inside his shell that we saw under Lampard. Remember the difference between half fit Dom under Lampard and the Dom we’ve had under Dyche.

I'll be very surprised if he plays for us again. Wish him the very best with his personal life and recovery.

I assume he is sorted financially. He can play football at a grade suited to his level of motivation and physical fitness. He needs to find that solution for himself. Even if Everton could afford it, that isn't here.

8m in a shorter period is a ridiculous offer. He's injured. There's every chance he won't be available and match fit for many more than half the 24 games we have left anyway. Beyond that he's not been a player for years and he's out of contract in 5 months

If we loaned him out we'd be lucky to get 20k a week for the last 20 odd weeks of the season... what's that half a million so that's his real worth at the moment. Not 8 million for 1 of his clauses

Loan him out even if we get nowt for him and move on. Investing more money would be absolute madness. He's currently worth next to nothing to anyone not almost 10m

Mate, not sure you're really understanding this. In June he leaves the club for free and Spurs get nothing. They are simply trying to entice us into keeping him and getting money off us. That's it.

I get that, but I've seen several people suggest Spurs should be factoring in the player's career and wellbeing into their decision, which they shouldn't.

And that's all I said in my post, so do take that weird, condescending tone you reply to a lot of my posts with elsewhere.

That's just untrue. The reason we are re negotiating is because he's not worth anything like 10m to anyone. He's worth pennies. If we were man City rich we wouldn't be triggering a 10m clause for a player who couldn't get 20k a week elsewhere. For a player out of contract in 5 months. Would you pay 10m for a 5 month loan of this version of ali cos thats what we'd be doing if we triggered this clause

….Spurs have already done us a right kipper on this. The only reason they’re trying to re-negotiate is to eek more monies out of us. They must be laughing their heads off that they managed to move him on despite what everybody in the game knew.

it’ll be a good sign if we’ve told them to do one.

I actually don't think the deal has worked for anyone. Everton could never afford to pay the instalments, Dele wasn't in the right place to play that many games, and Spurs will likely receive nothing.

I get that, but I've seen several people suggest Spurs should be factoring in the player's career and wellbeing into their decision, which they shouldn't.

And that's all I said in my post, so do take that weird, condescending tone you reply to a lot of my posts with elsewhere.

To be fair you've seemed to suggest that Spurs did us a favour with this original deal and that they're almost doing us a favour by agreeing to restructure the deal now. The only reason they are looking to restructure now is because they have zero chance of getting any more money from it otherwise.

Your post says “if we can get the numbers down fair play”.

It’s quite clear we aren’t interested in doing that. Him leaving for free is the best solution. More so now the club are truly skint. Wages gone, Spurs fee gone.

1. We shouldn’t have ever signed him on a three year deal but it’s not exactly his fault that Kenwright chose to and why would he say no?
2. Him coming out and doing that interview after going to rehab means he wants to get better and play football again
3. He knows how to be a top level footballer
4. Dyche would never ever play someone who isn’t ‘Dyche fit’
5. Dyche wouldn’t drop someone like Doucoure for anyone who isn’t 100% bought in and committed to the cause - see players like Gray and Iwobi being moved on because of their mentality
Really good post. It's going to be really interesting to see how this plays out.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether he has to play this 20 games before his contract is up (2 and a half years). Or do we owe Spurs if her plays his 20th game after this time period? In other words, once the 2.5 years is up, do we still have to pay them if he plays his 20th game after this?

I loved the idea of the signing at the time. New start for him. Might recapture his form of old etc. It became quickly clear though that it wasn't going to happen though.
It was a bad move for us. Spurs have saved a fortune in wages and Dele has still picked up his wages, along with being given opportunities (not only here but also on loan) to resurrect his career, which hasn't played out.

At least he'll be off the summer and our wage bill will be reduced.

Really good post. It's going to be really interesting to see how this plays out.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether he has to play this 20 games before his contract is up (2 and a half years). Or do we owe Spurs if her plays his 20th game after this time period? In other words, once the 2.5 years is up, do we still have to pay them if he plays his 20th game after this?

Do you mean if we let him go on a free then re-sign him, do we still have to pay the £10m? That would be interesting.

Your post says “if we can get the numbers down fair play”.

It’s quite clear we aren’t interested in doing that. Him leaving for free is the best solution. More so now the club are truly skint. Wages gone, Spurs fee gone.

To be fair you've seemed to suggest that Spurs did us a favour with this original deal and that they're almost doing us a favour by agreeing to restructure the deal now. The only reason they are looking to restructure now is because they have zero chance of getting any more money from it otherwise.

I don't whether we are or aren't interested in doing that, because I don't know the details of his contract or how he looks in training or how he's feeling in himself.

But I have seen Dyche get players to a decent level from a worse starting point, so I wouldn't be that surprised to see him have a go with Dele.

And if he were successful - albeit a long shot (I reckon he goes for free at the end of the year) - then yeah, Spurs might be doing us a favour by negotiating the fee down or giving us two and half years for free to work through the issues of one of the most talented players of his generation.

Whatever side you fall on in this discussion, though, it doesn't excuse the tone of that initial reply @Nymzee

Do you mean if we let him go on a free then re-sign him, do we still have to pay the £10m? That would be interesting.
Surely if the original deal ends with him as a free agent and we re-sign him the next day there is nothing owed to Spurs. Why he would choose to do that rather than go elsewhere as a free agent is a different question but who knows, maybe he likes it here and/or would feel a debt to the club for the fortune we have paid him already for little return and/or we are the best he could do?