2023/24 Dele

You are right, the club should have never signed him. But that's on the club, not Dele.

He doesn't bear any more responsibility as a footballer than anyone else in life.
Dont totally agree with that. Deli signed a contract knowing he had these issues and was not in any position to help the club in fact only make things worse. Spurs probably knew also. Although not technically illegal it was certainly shady.

Dont totally agree with that. Deli signed a contract knowing he had these issues and was not in any position to help the club in fact only make things worse. Spurs probably knew also. Although not technically illegal it was certainly shady.
Good point that. People with any issues shouldn’t be given jobs.

I’m sure you made sure to tell your employer about any and every issue you have ever had.

So he’s supposed to stop working because of his mental health? Would you?

Good point that. People with any issues shouldn’t be given jobs.

I’m sure you made sure to tell your employer about any and every issue you have ever had.
In fact I have had my share of issues and continue to manage them as best I can. I have also in the past had to be honest with clients and tell them I can't do the work for them. I don't know exactly what Deli's issues are but I can only go from my own experience. When going through a rough time the last thing I would want to do it heap what's seems more pressure on myself by signing a contract to work for a few years. Be nice if he got sorted and got playing again.

Honestly I hope this situation has made a few people think twice about judging people in life.

I heard every reason about why Dele wasn’t the player he used to be from all the resident character experts and psychologists and I didn’t see a single person even guess what he by through, the closest I heard was speculating he was too famous too young like we see with Britney Spears type breakdowns but the truth was far darker and showed even more how despicable the media in this country can be (watch them all love him unconditionally if he ever plays again)

Most men keep these traumas to themselves, never assume you know someone unless you do
Certainly made me think twice. Honestly thought I was quite good at reading situations and showing empathy. Obviously, I don't know the lad so shouldn't have assumed.

So he’s supposed to stop working because of his mental health? Would you?
Nope. I would hope my employer supports me throughout. If spurs upper management knew and offloaded him then shame on them, however, apart from his closest family/friends, I don't think anyone knew the extremes he's been through.

In fact I have had my share of issues and continue to manage them as best I can. I have also in the past had to be honest with clients and tell them I can't do the work for them. I don't know exactly what Deli's issues are but I can only go from my own experience. When going through a rough time the last thing I would want to do it heap what's seems more pressure on myself by signing a contract to work for a few years. Be nice if he got sorted and got playing again.
But none of us know when it surfaced or resurfaced for him. Yeah, his performances had dropped off at spurs which we knew about and will have been part of our discussions with him, but doesn’t mean the trauma was too much at that point and maybe he thought he could work through it with a fresh start. But then he joined us and maybe things tipped after that for whatever reason. Maybe there was a further trigger for him.

And in terms of contracts, football seems a different world to the one the rest of us are in. So signing a contract for that length is pretty standard. And that’s surely on the club rather than him? We offered it. But also, it offers some stability and security for him, which could also help him to manage what he is dealing with.

I know when I’ve found things tough and draining, thinking a fresh start somewhere else has certainly crossed my mind. I haven’t done it and worked through what I was going through, but many do move roles/areas for that reason.

Last edited:
But none of us know when it surfaced or resurfaced for him. Yeah, his performances had dropped off at spurs which we knew about and will have been part of our discussions with him, but doesn’t mean the trauma was too much at that point and maybe he thought he could work through it with a fresh start. But then he joined us and maybe things tipped after that for whatever reason. Maybe there was a further trigger for him.

And in terms of contracts, football seems a different world to the one the rest of us are in. So signing a contract for that length is pretty standard. And that’s surely on the club rather than him? We offered it.

I know when I’ve found things tough and draining, thinking a fresh start somewhere else has certainly crossed my mind. I haven’t done it and worked through what I was going through, but many do move roles/areas for that reason.
This is a good point. Maybe Deli did hope it would be a positive move for him. Would love it to work out for him and the club.

This is a good point. Maybe Deli did hope it would be a positive move for him. Would love it to work out for him and the club.
So do I.
And also, I didn’t say in last post, but well done for being able to tell clients you can’t do the work for them and for sharing that in here. It isn’t easy to do that, especially for those of us who may work pay check to pay check. Hope you are managing everything.

So do I.
And also, I didn’t say in last post, but well done for being able to tell clients you can’t do the work for them and for sharing that in here. It isn’t easy to do that, especially for those of us who may work pay check to pay check. Hope you are managing everything.
Thanks very much. It is very difficult because with mental health it just comes out the blue so it may literally days before I have had to let people down. I feel so bad. Fortunately I have either been able to recommend someone else or the client has been able to wait.😉👍