Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Has anyone got any experience with anger management issues? I honestly think it's related to depression, my stepdad has some serious issues surrounding this. When he gets drunk, I sometimes get pretty nervous, especially for my mum. He put his hands on her a few years back which I only found out the other week. Thing is, he has been a massive part of the family for twenty or so years, and he even admits it's not himself but struggles to control anger.

He's not enthusiastic about counselling. We've got him books and I've just sent a CBT app to him, but wondering whether anyone had any experience with it at all and what's the best route? I suggested the doctor yesterday.

Has anyone got any experience with anger management issues? I honestly think it's related to depression, my stepdad has some serious issues surrounding this. When he gets drunk, I sometimes get pretty nervous, especially for my mum. He put his hands on her a few years back which I only found out the other week. Thing is, he has been a massive part of the family for twenty or so years, and he even admits it's not himself but struggles to control anger.

He's not enthusiastic about counselling. We've got him books and I've just sent a CBT app to him, but wondering whether anyone had any experience with it at all and what's the best route? I suggested the doctor yesterday.
Sounds like he has deeper issues and needs assistance with it.

Sounds like he has deeper issues and needs assistance with it.

I agree. Problem is he's never been able to speak about his feelings, and despite saying he would look to do anger management classes he's avoided it, and now said he would just read books on it. Part of me just wants to take him to someone myself and not tell him beforehand but don't think that would work too well.

I agree. Problem is he's never been able to speak about his feelings, and despite saying he would look to do anger management classes he's avoided it, and now said he would just read books on it. Part of me just wants to take him to someone myself and not tell him beforehand but don't think that would work too well.

Old skool mate, they were brought up being told that to show emotion is a sign of weakness / it's something men don't do.
Being honest, I don't think books are going to do it as the issues will be too deeply rooted. The first steps are going to be the hardest for him as I'm guessing he'll see it as an admission of weakness and failure on his part.

Possible starting point for you to get advice / guidance - Mental Health Forum ?.

Old skool mate, they were brought up being told that to show emotion is a sign of weakness / it's something men don't do.
Being honest, I don't think books are going to do it as the issues will be too deeply rooted. The first steps are going to be the hardest for him as I'm guessing he'll see it as an admission of weakness and failure on his part.

Possible starting point for you to get advice / guidance - Mental Health Forum ?.

Let us know how goes, well in for your perseverance mate.

Thanks mate. It's a good idea- I keep forgetting about the Mental Health Forum. It'll be worth having a look I know. It's tough but I know I can't leave it as it is. I'll let you know how it goes!

Having a bit of a rough go with it lately. Just finished up uni but having trouble finding a job as I don't have much work experience (couldn't work summers the past few years due to having to take extra classes to transfer to a different uni and taking care of family members, both parents had surgeries recently). Think that lack of direction is bringing me down, especially seeing friends getting ace jobs and all that. letting it out a bit on here haha

Having a bit of a rough go with it lately. Just finished up uni but having trouble finding a job as I don't have much work experience (couldn't work summers the past few years due to having to take extra classes to transfer to a different uni and taking care of family members, both parents had surgeries recently). Think that lack of direction is bringing me down, especially seeing friends getting ace jobs and all that. letting it out a bit on here haha
Most have us have been in your situation when finishing up at Uni. Don't let the stress get to you too much. Keep those applications going out the door, and in the meantime keep active. Summer time for you guys there...I am sure you can find some things to do ;)
And I think most prospective employers will appreciate your family values and what you have done for your parents.

Most have us have been in your situation when finishing up at Uni. Don't let the stress get to you too much. Keep those applications going out the door, and in the meantime keep active. Summer time for you guys there...I am sure you can find some things to do ;)
And I think most prospective employers will appreciate your family values and what you have done for your parents.
Thanks mate! I try to mention the family issues whenever the application has one of those "anything else you'd like us to know, etc" spots. Yeah I defo need to be more active, I played sports a ton up until uni but it tailed off a bit, although I'll play a bit with friends when they ask but isn't as often as it used to be. Might try to starting riding a bike more, hate running unless a ball is involved haha

Thanks mate! I try to mention the family issues whenever the application has one of those "anything else you'd like us to know, etc" spots. Yeah I defo need to be more active, I played sports a ton up until uni but it tailed off a bit, although I'll play a bit with friends when they ask but isn't as often as it used to be. Might try to starting riding a bike more, hate running unless a ball is involved haha
That's it. Enjoy your Summer. Keep the applications going out. Get a Summer job if needed..just keep active.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back