Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well boys I suffer from a severe skin disease called psoriasis. Haven't heard back from the hospital from about 5 months ago and it has led me into depression as I can't wear what I want and constantly feel like I'm getting looked at. Everton is what gets me through it, the happiness they bring me when I see them winning is unbelievable. But tonight I shall be getting hammered as it is Bonfire night here in Belfast.

Well boys I suffer from a severe skin disease called psoriasis. Haven't heard back from the hospital from about 5 months ago and it has led me into depression as I can't wear what I want and constantly feel like I'm getting looked at. Everton is what gets me through it, the happiness they bring me when I see them winning is unbelievable. But tonight I shall be getting hammered as it is Bonfire night here in Belfast.

This isn't a wind up mate.

I used to work with a fella that suffered the same, his was that bad that his face and head looked burnt. He was very self conscious too, even though no one gave it a second thought. What he used to do, was once a week he used to go a skin clinic that had a massive tank of " Garra Fish " if that's the right spelling. ( those little fish that hairdressers had in tanks and nibbled the dead skin off your feet ).

He would get in the tank and the fish would then nibble all the affected skin of his body and head. He reckoned they somehow knew what was bad and what was good . He reckoned when he came out he felt wonderfully clean and free from all pain and discomfort. This only lasted for a few days, but he said it was worth it.

He paid for this treatment and for the life of me I can't remember where it was - wasn't in Belfast though !

He swore that that this treatment was what kept him sane. Maybe worth looking up to see if you could something similar ?

Hate to be the one to say this, but I would suggest going easy on alcohol. Alcohol is associated with triggering exacerbations and may increase severity of psoriasis.

Hate to be the one to say this, but I would suggest going easy on alcohol. Alcohol is associated with triggering exacerbations and may increase severity of psoriasis.
Trust me I've tried everything, mad diets and all sorts of creams you name it. Only thing that took it all away was tablets called methotrexate which I'm looking to go back on a while but the hospital still haven't got back to me and I've tried everything.

This isn't a wind up mate.

I used to work with a fella that suffered the same, his was that bad that his face and head looked burnt. He was very self conscious too, even though no one gave it a second thought. What he used to do, was once a week he used to go a skin clinic that had a massive tank of " Garra Fish " if that's the right spelling. ( those little fish that hairdressers had in tanks and nibbled the dead skin off your feet ).

He would get in the tank and the fish would then nibble all the affected skin of his body and head. He reckoned they somehow knew what was bad and what was good . He reckoned when he came out he felt wonderfully clean and free from all pain and discomfort. This only lasted for a few days, but he said it was worth it.

He paid for this treatment and for the life of me I can't remember where it was - wasn't in Belfast though !

He swore that that this treatment was what kept him sane. Maybe worth looking up to see if you could something similar ?
Cheers I'll have a look mate.

I can't add much to this, especially the bolded.

One thing I will add is while valerian might be effective, like many herbal/natural remedies, it can interact with prescription medication and should be avoided with certain medical conditions so again, please check with your physician before starting it.

Thanks for pointing this out, I always forget to mention it .

Trust me I've tried everything, mad diets and all sorts of creams you name it. Only thing that took it all away was tablets called methotrexate which I'm looking to go back on a while but the hospital still haven't got back to me and I've tried everything.

Write to the hospital and tell them you want a written response within 7 days.

6 months is too long with a chronic condition like you have.

Seriously my friend take control for yourself.

Writing to them requires them to give you a response in writing.

Send the letter registered letter.

@Alex17

You should not drink alcohol with methotrexate also. That is explicitly mentioned in the patient notes.

This is a serious medicine. Stay away from alcohol.

Auto-immune disorders are difficult to diagnose and you don't want to interfere with any medications you've already been given.

Understand sweetheart, but unfortunately drinking alcohol can really make psoriasis more difficult to treat.
Alcohol is not the best option if your feeling depressed either.

Definitely check back in with the hospital or your physician and I hope you get some relief soon.

Last edited:
Thanks guys will give it a shot, it's strange because I'm in a good place with life atm things are going really well, I had bad anxiety problems in the last few years but have turned them upside down last two years and stuff is going great now, just my body seems to give it up when I go to sleep.

@COYBL25 this is pretty much the problem I'm describing. If I'm drunk or with a sheila it doesn't occur :P

Someone also recommended ZMA...anyone vouch for it's effectiveness?

Thanks guys will give it a shot, it's strange because I'm in a good place with life atm things are going really well, I had bad anxiety problems in the last few years but have turned them upside down last two years and stuff is going great now, just my body seems to give it up when I go to sleep.

@COYBL25 this is pretty much the problem I'm describing. If I'm drunk or with a sheila it doesn't occur :p

Someone also recommended ZMA...anyone vouch for it's effectiveness?

I take ZMA mate, in conjunction with the other two I've mentioned. It works for me when combined with the other two. Can't vouch for it by itself. It'll cost you know more than 20 quid for all three, if they don't work for you, you've lost 20 quid, so may be worth a go ?

@Alex17

You should not drink alcohol with methotrexate also. That is explicitly mentioned in the patient notes.

This is a serious medicine. Stay away from alcohol.

Auto-immune disorders are difficult to diagnose and you don't want to interfere with any medications you've already been given.
Don't worry I stay of alcohol when I'm on them mate.

Don't worry I stay of alcohol when I'm on them mate.

You should be on them all the time if they're being proscribed.

Also alcohol along with stress is known to exacerbate psoriasis

If you're also using steroid creams you need to be using this as proscribed and reguarly.

Ask your doctor of infliximab mate you mix it with methotrexate and have it through a drip every 2/3 months.
It will clear your skin completly after one dose.
You might have to push it because like most drugs its dear but it will work for you

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back