Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Why is this thread only stickied in the Everton only forum? I'm sure it would be useful in each forum section maybe? @Groucho
We'd end up with multiple threads on the same thing mate - most know where this is, it's stickied and visible, and it's also in the Everton forum (I actually started it with Gary Speed in mind, see) so all members will see it at some point without going off topic.

We'll keep it as it is, but thanks for the feedback.

Just feeling a bit fed up today. I've failed my driving test for the 4th time! I keep letting anxiety get the better of me when I'm doing it and making stupid mistakes. I've had two driving instructors and they've both said in really good at driving and can piss it. That makes it a lot worse knowing that it is a problem in my head.

Work are putting me under enormous pressure to pass as well.
Do one thing at a time mate, don't let the pressure cloud your ability.

Just feeling a bit fed up today. I've failed my driving test for the 4th time! I keep letting anxiety get the better of me when I'm doing it and making stupid mistakes. I've had two driving instructors and they've both said in really good at driving and can piss it. That makes it a lot worse knowing that it is a problem in my head.

Very easy for us to say, but try to let the pressure go - it's very easy to take whatever pressure you may be feeling from the outside, and then double it yourself unnecessarily. Put yourself first, you'll get there.

The fact that you're working towards your licence should be good enough to prove to your employers that you're decent.

I actually just passed my test recently, but the lesson before I did it, I broke down in the car and started crying because of the pressure I was putting myself under so I know where you're coming from.

It took my gf 9 times to pass because she was very similar to you, she started taking Kalmz (sp?) before her test and they seemed to work. On the upside mate, when you do pass you'll be one of the better drivers on the road as you've got the experience behind you and even more aware of all the dangers.

Have you tried having your instructor in the back of the car on test?

I actually just passed my test recently, but the lesson before I did it, I broke down in the car and started crying because of the pressure I was putting myself under so I know where you're coming from.

It took my gf 9 times to pass because she was very similar to you, she started taking Kalmz (sp?) before her test and they seemed to work. On the upside mate, when you do pass you'll be one of the better drivers on the road as you've got the experience behind you and even more aware of all the dangers.

Have you tried having your instructor in the back of the car on test?
Thanks mate. No I haven't, he said he can't help but instruct from the back seat and the examiners don't like it. I've booked myself another one in for 4 weeks time. Just going to try a change of attitude this time. Everything goes right on the lessons, I have no problems at all but then come the day of the test, it goes out of the window and I make one stupid mistake.

Went to the beach today. I know it's nothing, but I hate exposing my (to myself) ugly body, so this is rather freeing.

Still rather down because of nostalgia and regrets and memories, but I can't help that really.

Hopefully I'm not too badly burnt though.

Went to the beach today. I know it's nothing, but I hate exposing my (to myself) ugly body, so this is rather freeing.

Still rather down because of nostalgia and regrets and memories, but I can't help that really.

Hopefully I'm not too badly burnt though.

Good for you mate, as I know from your previous posts that you struggle with being outside.

If you go again, look around yourself, there's going to be all shapes on sizes there, no one will be looking at you . Just enjoy the beach for what it is . A place to relax , hopefully with a beautiful view and surroundings, maybe go for a swim.

I'm assuming you're still in Bulgaria ?.

I've never been, but from what I've seen on telly etc, the coast looks stunning . I know where I'd rather be at the moment mate !

anyone have any advice for anxiety at night? Seriously bad atm, haven't slept for weeks. Literally fine during the day to the point where I'm genuinely happy most of the time, but as soon as I start to drift off it's like on cue for a mild panic attack. Most of the time it's controllable IE I just wait until it wears off then wait til I pass out from being too tired (not ideal I know) but its been getting worse recently.

Good for you mate, as I know from your previous posts that you struggle with being outside.

If you go again, look around yourself, there's going to be all shapes on sizes there, no one will be looking at you . Just enjoy the beach for what it is . A place to relax , hopefully with a beautiful view and surroundings, maybe go for a swim.

I'm assuming you're still in Bulgaria ?.

I've never been, but from what I've seen on telly etc, the coast looks stunning . I know where I'd rather be at the moment mate !
I can't swim :( But I do enjoy just being in the water, it's nice.

Cheers though, mate. Yeah I'm here until late September. There were loads of nice things (and fit girls naturally) around, like. It's just that I feel like I've forgotten how to actually enjoy the small/nice things in life.

I'm not saying I'm not liking the fact I'm here and I obviously prefer this to Glasgow, like, but I just feel down a lot lately overall, even if I try to be positive about things.

Highly recommend everything except Sunny Beach btw.

anyone have any advice for anxiety at night? Seriously bad atm, haven't slept for weeks. Literally fine during the day to the point where I'm genuinely happy most of the time, but as soon as I start to drift off it's like on cue for a mild panic attack. Most of the time it's controllable IE I just wait until it wears off then wait til I pass out from being too tired (not ideal I know) but its been getting worse recently.
I'm usually like that mate. Nytol/Valerian root help a lot for me! I'd recommend looking into those - if you're worried about getting addicted etc I'm fairly sure it's nearly impossible, for valerian at least, if it's a good extract... Then again, paging Doctor @RAFUH ...

I can't swim :( But I do enjoy just being in the water, it's nice.

Cheers though, mate. Yeah I'm here until late September. There were loads of nice things (and fit girls naturally) around, like. It's just that I feel like I've forgotten how to actually enjoy the small/nice things in life.

I'm not saying I'm not liking the fact I'm here and I obviously prefer this to Glasgow, like, but I just feel down a lot lately overall, even if I try to be positive about things.

Highly recommend everything except Sunny Beach btw.

This may sound a bit strange, have you thought about going for a big walk or a run. I found that excercise of any form in beautiful surrroundings ( for me it was the Fells in the Lake District ) gave me a real boost and I'd also do a lot of thinking too ?.

I regularly suffer from bouts of 'insomnia' - I originally cut out every kind of stimulant i.e. caffeine, ciggies, alcohol before bed... then also exercise helps a lot. 'Sleep hygiene' is something to peruse on the google-machine.

I'm usually like that mate. Nytol/Valerian root help a lot for me! I'd recommend looking into those - if you're worried about getting addicted etc I'm fairly sure it's nearly impossible, for valerian at least, if it's a good extract... Then again, paging Doctor @RAFUH ...

Valerian extract is good - you can get it in the form of tea. Camomile tea is good also. As a last resort I was prescribed Zopiclone throughout my exam period; this had mixed results, and is also only prescribed on a short-term basis as it is addictive. As always, consult your doc.

Mate, I haven't slept properly for over a decade due to anxiety problems, so I know where you're coming from. With me it's the other way around - I get to sleep with no problems, but wake any time bewteen 3am and 5am with a massive anxiety rush that's sometimes so strong it's frightening.

This is how I manage it as best as I can :

Room is in complete darkness, blackout blinds and curtains .
No clock - stops me obsessing about the time.
I use a good quality eye mask and ear plugs.
Nothing electronic except a clock - no computer etc

So my room is in complete darkness and silence.

I also take Valerian Root ( natural sedative and something called L - Trypophan ( natural melatonin ).

Both of these can be bought from the likes of eBay and do reduce my morning anxiety.

The way I take them, is that as soon as I wake in the early hours, I take them immediately and they help me get back to sleep. A lot of people take them before bed, but through trial and error this is the way that works for me.

A lot of anxiety sufferers also swear by a carb loaded snack at the time of waking up as this helps re balance the blood sugars, as a drop is known to make anxiety worse. Maybe you could try this before you go to sleep ?

I'm not a professional mate and I'm not saying any of the above is a cure, it's just what I've found helped me through a lot of research and trial and error.

I hope this is of help to you . I've learned to live with my anxiety, but I'd give anything to make it go away !

I regularly suffer from bouts of 'insomnia' - I originally cut out every kind of stimulant i.e. caffeine, ciggies, alcohol before bed... then also exercise helps a lot. 'Sleep hygiene' is something to peruse on the google-machine.

Valerian extract is good - you can get it in the form of tea. Camomile tea is good also. As a last resort I was prescribed Zopiclone throughout my exam period; this had mixed results, and is also only prescribed on a short-term basis as it is addictive. As always, consult your doc.

Have a look at what I've just posted to EFC Si, may be of help to you too mate ?.

. Then again, paging Doctor @RAFUH ...

I can't add much to this, especially the bolded.

One thing I will add is while valerian might be effective, like many herbal/natural remedies, it can interact with prescription medication and should be avoided with certain medical conditions so again, please check with your physician before starting it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back