Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I have done. He just said it may take a while to get the right sort of medicine but I attend all meetings etc
just thought I would tell everyone on here as it's a good place

Just to add on to what Groucho has said :

Ask your GP about accessing - The Inclusion Matters service if you haven't done already mate. ( talking therapy ).

Also there's a mental health charity :

IMAGINE.

They provide volunteers who will support you. Most of the volunteers have had problems of their own in the past and have used the service to get better themselves.

It's a great service and the volunteers are very genuine people who won't judge you as the chances are they've been ill themselves.

They provide a National service, but the Liverpool office is based in Hope St, just down from the Cassa.

Their number is - 0151 709 2366.

Let us know how you get on mate, there's loads on here that will help as best they can.

Im not really a worrier about things, but I do get annoyed when things change or move. Im pretty organised so kind of expect everyone else to be as well! Which obviously isnt the case.

May sound obvious, but has something changed in your life recently - job, relationship, bereavement etc. Sounds like anxiety problems to me . ( I'm a long term sufferer ).
Anxiety problems, just like depression can creep up on you very slowly.

Im not really a worrier about things, but I do get annoyed when things change or move. Im pretty organised so kind of expect everyone else to be as well! Which obviously isnt the case.

Without the coffee-shop diagnosis, I was pretty bad for expecting other people to live up to my standards too. It's something to do with damage limitation, because an anxious brain is one that constantly thinks eveything over for every possible outcome, weighing up potential dangers and threats. It's an "approach strategy" that the brain employs.

Approach Strategies

1. Wanting to do everything yourself and not delegating tasks to anyone else.

2. Looking for a lot of information before proceeding with something.
Examples: Reading a lot of documentation on a topic; asking for the same information from a number of people; and shopping for a very long time before choosing a present for someone.

3. Questioning a decision you have already made because you are no longer certain that it was the best decision.

4. Looking for reassurance (asking others questions so that they will reassure you).

5. Rechecking and doing things over because you are no longer sure you did them correctly.
Examples: Rereading emails seveal times before sending them to make sure that there are absolutely no mistakes.

6. Overprotecting othes, doing things for them (e.g., family members and children).

Avoidance Strategies

1. Avoiding fully committing to certain things.
Examples: Not fully committing to a friendship or romantic relationship because the outcome is uncertain; not fully engaging in therapy because there is no "guarantee" that it will work.

2. Finding "imaginary" reasons for not doing certain things.
Examples: Finding excuses to not move out of the family home; not doing exercise that you know is good for you by telling yourself that you might not be able to stand th discomfort of exercising.

3. Procrastinatin (putting off until later what you could do right away).
Examples: Putting off a phone call because you are not certain how the person will react; delaying making a decision because you are not certain that it is the right decision; not doing anything in the end because you are not certain about your decision (e.g., choice of film or restaurant).
Even the little things can be affected by these kinds of behaviour until, ultimately, you end up getting frustrated at yourself. Sometimes, you might take that out on yourself (making you feel bad and angry) and then, eventually, it can bubble over and be directed (unintentionlly) at other people around you. If you feel like you're doing too much of it, or if it's affecting your life and your interpersonal relationships, then the GP is there.

May sound obvious, but has something changed in your life recently - job, relationship, bereavement etc. Sounds like anxiety problems to me . ( I'm a long term sufferer ).
Anxiety problems, just like depression can creep up on you very slowly.

Nothing significant has changed. I had a big fight with a friend but we have recently sorted it out, and this was happening before that anyway. I think the biggest trigger is my brother and his kids. I dont get on with him, I never have. He's 7 years older than me and we have nothing in common so we dont really have anything to do with each other, as generally any conversation we have will end in an argument same as it did when we were kids. I still live at home with my parents, mainly because Im single so I just cant afford to leave on my own, and as bad as it sounds, Im generally comfortable here. My brother has 3 kids, with two mothers, neither of whom he is still with, and the kids live with their mums but tend to see a lot of him, the two youngest mainly because their mother is a selfish wench who cant be bothered with them so any opportunity to palm them off on someone else is one she never misses. So when my brother has them, they are here. He is basically taking advantage of my mum and her willingness to do anything for them, despite her working full time, every spare moment, she is generally looking after his kids for him, to the detriment of everyone else. She continually lets him get all 3 of them to sleep in ours, despite the fact it means my dad (who works 6 days a week as well starting at 6am) has to sleep on the couch. I likewise work shifts so will sometimes have a sleep in the afternoon when I finish, only to be generally woken up by them running around. I dont dislike the kids, I love them I really do and like spending time with them. But the longer this goes on, the more I feel Im starting to resent them being here. At the end of the day, Im single and dont have kids, but I feel like Im having to deal with all the unpleasant hard parts of having kids when I dont even have any! And without having a say, because of course Im not their mum so anything I say in relation to the way he behaves towards them is obviously wrong.

I have other problems, so does everybody. But Im generally fairly laid back, confident and impulsive, dont worry about things and can deal with anything. But recently, I feel like a middle child. He's my older brother so despite him being nasty, obnoxious and selfish, he is my mums blue eyed boy and she wont tell him now like she wouldnt then. The kids are little kids, so they get away with murder. Im the middle child, the one who generally gets ignored, has no say on anything that affects me, and generally just exists. And because obviously Im the only one who lives here all the time, Im the one who gets it in the neck when its all getting too stressful for my mum, who would never dream of saying these things to him. Again going back to being out of the football season, Im away every other weekend so dont get it as much when the season is going on. But during the summer, Im here if Im not in work, so Im seeing it a lot more.

Without the coffee-shop diagnosis, I was pretty bad for expecting other people to live up to my standards too. It's something to do with damage limitation, because an anxious brain is one that constantly thinks eveything over for every possible outcome, weighing up potential dangers and threats. It's an "approach strategy" that the brain employs.

Approach Strategies

Examples: Reading a lot of documentation on a topic; asking for the same information from a number of people; and shopping for a very long time before choosing a present for someone.

3. Questioning a decision you have already made because you are no longer certain that it was the best decision.

4. Looking for reassurance (asking others questions so that they will reassure you).

5. Rechecking and doing things over because you are no longer sure you did them correctly.
Examples: Rereading emails seveal times before sending them to make sure that there are absolutely no mistakes.

6. Overprotecting othes, doing things for them (e.g., family members and children).

Avoidance Strategies

Examples: Not fully committing to a friendship or romantic relationship because the outcome is uncertain; not fully engaging in therapy because there is no "guarantee" that it will work.

Examples: Finding excuses to not move out of the family home; not doing exercise that you know is good for you by telling yourself that you might not be able to stand th discomfort of exercising.

Examples: Putting off a phone call because you are not certain how the person will react; delaying making a decision because you are not certain that it is the right decision; not doing anything in the end because you are not certain about your decision (e.g., choice of film or restaurant).
Even the little things can be affected by these kinds of behaviour until, ultimately, you end up getting frustrated at yourself. Sometimes, you might take that out on yourself (making you feel bad and angry) and then, eventually, it can bubble over and be directed (unintentionlly) at other people around you. If you feel like you're doing too much of it, or if it's affecting your life and your interpersonal relationships, then the GP is there.

Interesting...Id say only number 1 and 2 in the approach strategy are me, I like things done a certain way, and I like to make sure I have all the answers before I make a decision. But once my mind is made up, Im impulsive and go for it. The avoidance strategy though sounds a lot like me in all aspects of life...

I have done. He just said it may take a while to get the right sort of medicine but I attend all meetings etc
just thought I would tell everyone on here as it's a good place

Good luck mate, seems like you are doing the right thing in getting medical help. Please feel free to use this thread to talk more if it helps - you also help others as they may well have similar thoughts as yourself.

Nothing significant has changed. I had a big fight with a friend but we have recently sorted it out, and this was happening before that anyway. I think the biggest trigger is my brother and his kids. I dont get on with him, I never have. He's 7 years older than me and we have nothing in common so we dont really have anything to do with each other, as generally any conversation we have will end in an argument same as it did when we were kids. I still live at home with my parents, mainly because Im single so I just cant afford to leave on my own, and as bad as it sounds, Im generally comfortable here. My brother has 3 kids, with two mothers, neither of whom he is still with, and the kids live with their mums but tend to see a lot of him, the two youngest mainly because their mother is a selfish wench who cant be bothered with them so any opportunity to palm them off on someone else is one she never misses. So when my brother has them, they are here. He is basically taking advantage of my mum and her willingness to do anything for them, despite her working full time, every spare moment, she is generally looking after his kids for him, to the detriment of everyone else. She continually lets him get all 3 of them to sleep in ours, despite the fact it means my dad (who works 6 days a week as well starting at 6am) has to sleep on the couch. I likewise work shifts so will sometimes have a sleep in the afternoon when I finish, only to be generally woken up by them running around. I dont dislike the kids, I love them I really do and like spending time with them. But the longer this goes on, the more I feel Im starting to resent them being here. At the end of the day, Im single and dont have kids, but I feel like Im having to deal with all the unpleasant hard parts of having kids when I dont even have any! And without having a say, because of course Im not their mum so anything I say in relation to the way he behaves towards them is obviously wrong.

I have other problems, so does everybody. But Im generally fairly laid back, confident and impulsive, dont worry about things and can deal with anything. But recently, I feel like a middle child. He's my older brother so despite him being nasty, obnoxious and selfish, he is my mums blue eyed boy and she wont tell him now like she wouldnt then. The kids are little kids, so they get away with murder. Im the middle child, the one who generally gets ignored, has no say on anything that affects me, and generally just exists. And because obviously Im the only one who lives here all the time, Im the one who gets it in the neck when its all getting too stressful for my mum, who would never dream of saying these things to him. Again going back to being out of the football season, Im away every other weekend so dont get it as much when the season is going on. But during the summer, Im here if Im not in work, so Im seeing it a lot more.

Interesting...Id say only number 1 and 2 in the approach strategy are me, I like things done a certain way, and I like to make sure I have all the answers before I make a decision. But once my mind is made up, Im impulsive and go for it. The avoidance strategy though sounds a lot like me in all aspects of life...

So in a nutshell, he's really doing your head in !

I'm not surprised your wound up all the time , most people, would be in that situation. Sounds like you're probably tired all the time, which won't be helping things at all.

I'm assuming that you've talked to your mum about this ?.

Maybe try a different approach this time, talk to her with your Dad ?.

Explain together the impact this is having on the household and see if you can come up with an amicable solution ?.

So in a nutshell, he's really doing your head in !

I'm not surprised your wound up all the time , most people, would be in that situation. Sounds like you're probably tired all the time, which won't be helping things at all.

I'm assuming that you've talked to your mum about this ?.

Maybe try a different approach this time, talk to her with your Dad ?.

Explain together the impact this is having on the household and see if you can come up with an amicable solution ?.

My dad is the opposite to my mum, he is already quite outspoken about it, so its one of those where they seem to feel he's so down on everything that they dont take him on. I tend to try and back him up on it when he does say something but nothing seems to change.

My dad is the opposite to my mum, he is already quite outspoken about it, so its one of those where they seem to feel he's so down on everything that they dont take him on. I tend to try and back him up on it when he does say something but nothing seems to change.

Sorry mate, but I think there's I can only see one way out of this for you - move out.
Even if it's a mates spare room. It doesn't sound to me as the situation at home is going to change any time soon and you're just going to get more and more wound up by it all.

Ill try and be a bit more forward with it, rather than just wait for my dad to say something next time and see if anything changes. They always come round on a Wednesday so will get a chance tomorrow.

Approach Strategies

Avoidance Strategies

Are these all symptoms of anxiety then?
What sort of things can be done about it?

Are these all symptoms of anxiety then?
What sort of things can be done about it?

The answer is Yes and No. Depends on the individual and their circumstances. One slze doesn't fit all and each persons problems are unique to them.

Sorry to sound so ambiguous mate, but anxiety problems can be caused by so many things. There really is no definitive answer.

The most common explanation is that " you become so worried about everything that you become locked into a cycle of worry ".

The things that can be done include :

Counselling .
Medication .
Diet.
Excercise.
Change of circumstance - job for instance.

There really is no right or wrong answer .

So when my brother has them, they are here. He is basically taking advantage of my mum and her willingness to do anything for them, despite her working full time, every spare moment, she is generally looking after his kids for him, to the detriment of everyone else.
Oh boy! This was me 25-26 years ago! Sisters kids were virtually raised by my folks while I was still living there. Great kids but curious to the point of distraction. I was also doing shift work & just couldn't wind down. The difference, I guess, is that I had a good relationship with my Sister & still do. It was just so irritating but it wasn't the fault of the kids.
I don't have a solution for you but they grew up, I moved on, and it's just a small footnote in my life. If you have your own kids, you get conditioned to deal with their inquisitive nature & it becomes no big deal. For me, at the time, with no inherent experience, it was full on, full off, rinse & repeat!
What you must understand is that whilst they are under your parents roof, of which you are a household member, you can have a say. Your Parents are welcome to do as they wish & raise the kids for him, but I'm sure you pay your way at home so you can have a say. How you say it is vitally important, and for heavens sake, don't say it in front of the kids. (I'm sure you wouldn't)

Oh boy! This was me 25-26 years ago! Sisters kids were virtually raised by my folks while I was still living there. Great kids but curious to the point of distraction. I was also doing shift work & just couldn't wind down. The difference, I guess, is that I had a good relationship with my Sister & still do. It was just so irritating but it wasn't the fault of the kids.
I don't have a solution for you but they grew up, I moved on, and it's just a small footnote in my life. If you have your own kids, you get conditioned to deal with their inquisitive nature & it becomes no big deal. For me, at the time, with no inherent experience, it was full on, full off, rinse & repeat!
What you must understand is that whilst they are under your parents roof, of which you are a household member, you can have a say. Your Parents are welcome to do as they wish & raise the kids for him, but I'm sure you pay your way at home so you can have a say. How you say it is vitally important, and for heavens sake, don't say it in front of the kids. (I'm sure you wouldn't)

Oh no, Id never do it in front of them, they get enough from their own parents and will likely be messed up enough without me adding to it. The funny thing is, their behaviour is completely different when he is not here, because his version of 'discipline' is to shout and threaten them for everything they do. Meal times are unbearable because he is pretty forcing all 3 of them to develop future eating disorders by forcing them to eat when they dont want to, full up, had enough etc. Thankfully my dad put his foot down this week and has told him that until he changes, he is no longer welcome to come for meals when the kids are here. The two youngest come for their tea every Sunday, and he has told him not to bother coming himself because none of us want to eat in that atmosphere anymore. I told my dad after tea on Wednesday that if this continues, then Ill be eating my meals on my own because Im not watching it happen anymore. Thankfully he backed me up on it.

I wont get to see any changes on Sunday, as annoyingly, Im in work!

Bit of an odd question but has anyone ever had a friend/family member go missing?

A friend of mine went missing on Tuesday, keep coming up with the 'it's fine, he has just gone somewhere and not charged his phone' but the longer if gets, the less likely. He has been on anti-psychotics too, which is also a worry. it's not out of character for him to go to the middle of nowhere to take pics (he's a photographer), but there must be more to it this time

Guess there is only so much I can do as i live in a different city, just feel a bit helpless. Obviously I've spoken to my mates but we're all just at a loss.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back