Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hahahaha, clearly!

Exactly this really. Everything just sort of fell into place a few days ago... Now I have to make myself feel good in the obvious new (work) environment for the next 2 months and just try to keep feeling good in general!

This thread and the people here definitely help though ;)

Great mate, take this positivity forward but also recognise that nothing ever moves in a straight line, there'll be poor days along the way. As long as the trend is upwards you will get there.

Plus this thread is going to be around for a while yet lol

Fantastic mate, perseverance is key to success in all aspects of life. You just have to keep going when in the bad times as you never know when the good times are going to arrive.

Keep looking, keep striving and never, ever give up and eventually sooner or later you will find what you are looking for.

Great mate, take this positivity forward but also recognise that nothing ever moves in a straight line, there'll be poor days along the way. As long as the trend is upwards you will get there.

Plus this thread is going to be around for a while yet lol

A couple of gems from @the esk there today for all of us to live by...

My flat mate split up from her boyfriend recently and it left her in pieces. She is in therapy at the moment because of the details of said break up.
I'm loathe to ever hand out advice just because what I know what works for me may not work for anyone else.
I did (gently) suggest she tried reading "the chimps paradox" (can forward the link if anyone wants/mods say it's ok).
I know, "self-help" books which are any more than generalisations are hard to come by. This one though is more about understanding how our brain works and little techniques in not letting emotion and anxiety 'beat' us. I can't confess to ever having depression, although if I had/have I am sure I would find this tremendous thread helpful.
Anyway, back to my flat mate. She says that the book is helping her, albeit only a bit.
Just thought it might be worthwhile mentioning it in here in case it could help anyone else.
If anyone ever needs a sound-board btw, more than happy to help out in any way I can. Blue family and all that.

My flat mate split up from her boyfriend recently and it left her in pieces. She is in therapy at the moment because of the details of said break up.
I'm loathe to ever hand out advice just because what I know what works for me may not work for anyone else.
I did (gently) suggest she tried reading "the chimps paradox" (can forward the link if anyone wants/mods say it's ok).
I know, "self-help" books which are any more than generalisations are hard to come by. This one though is more about understanding how our brain works and little techniques in not letting emotion and anxiety 'beat' us. I can't confess to ever having depression, although if I had/have I am sure I would find this tremendous thread helpful.
Anyway, back to my flat mate. She says that the book is helping her, albeit only a bit.
Just thought it might be worthwhile mentioning it in here in case it could help anyone else.
If anyone ever needs a sound-board btw, more than happy to help out in any way I can. Blue family and all that.

Cheers mate, thanks for sharing. The book you mention sounds interesting. Thanks for the offer of help, sure it will be much appreciated on here. Max rep!

is there anybody on here receiving DLA and received a letter informing of change to PIP. worrying times.

My youngest lad gets DLA mate, but due to his age and his disability he is not going to be affected. From the knowledge of having to fill in the forms on his behalf and subsequently having to go beofre an appeals panel due to him intially being knocked back, I can say with near certainty that all of these forms are designed to (a) be so complicated that many people who could recieve DLA, look at them and give up and (b) designed to be so intrusive that you are frightened of submitting them .
All with the aim of saving money and ticking boxes.

There are people who are impartial out there who will guide you through any changes - have a good look on the Internet.
Some Citizens Advice Bureau's have Solicitiors who will provide free advice too.

My youngest lad gets DLA mate, but due to his age and his disability he is not going to be affected. From the knowledge of having to fill in the forms on his behalf and subsequently having to go beofre an appeals panel due to him intially being knocked back, I can say with near certainty that all of these forms are designed to (a) be so complicated that many people who could recieve DLA, look at them and give up and (b) designed to be so intrusive that you are frightened of submitting them .

There are people who are impartial out there who will guide you through any changes - have a good look on the Internet.
Some Citizens Advice Bureau's have Solicitiors who will provide free advice too.
Boss advice. DO NOT fill these documents in alone. Absolutely seek impartial advice.

macmillan are helping me.

That applies to all of us, but it can help others when they see different opinions or just different things that work. It may be perfect, it may be wide of the mark, or it may get people thinking of a slightly different angle. The main thing is that we are sharing life experiences & de-stigmatising this horrid condition.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back