Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Have you thought about voluntary work if you're up to it. Very rewarding, which in turn is good for your mental state .
Did some volunteer fire fighting a few years back, got trapped & rescued a few folk during the Black Saturday fires...but that's another story...anyway, I really enjoyed it. I found I had a 'sense of purpose' that my sedentary 9-5 job couldn't give me. I felt I was making a difference, for me & others.

I probably enjoyed it too much because as soon as the pager went off, I was out the door. I missed a family function whilst attending a fire & the Missus got mightily pissed off! Seems I gave off the impression that I preferred to be at the fires than with the family. It's amazing what a different perspective sees.

Anyway, it was good for me, volunteering, but my family was more important to me. I'd heartily recommend volunteering.

I went the pictures on me jack before. Might not sound like much but it was a major thing to me. Never done that for fear of what others think, but wanted to see bond, no one would go. So i thought screw it I'm goin and went, quite proud to myself really.

Its funny how small things can make you believe in your own capacity again

Well in mate. It's like going for a pint by yourself. The only person who thinks its strange is you. If you think about it no one bats and eyelid at a fella having a pint or watching the match by himself, pubs are full of them !.

Well in mate. It's like going for a pint by yourself. The only person who thinks its strange is you. If you think about it no one bats and eyelid at a fella having a pint or watching the match by himself, pubs are full of them !.

Spot mate,I go the pub on Sunday's on my own to watch the 4 O'clock match and I've sky sports, love it, sitting in a boozer having a pint watching a game recommend it to anybody. On a side note I even go when the rs are playing the fume when they get beat is a pick me up no doctor could better.

Yes there is that too. This is where the ideal work/life balance comes in.

Good luck with your search for a job. What are you looking for in particular?

Can anyone help this man out?
thing is my body isn't quite up to it yet. after chemo the cells usually take up to 18months to fully recover so I tire quite quickly.
i'm getting there and feel stronger as time goes on. also tho i'm loathe to say my dla and benefits prevents me from part time work. I need to be confident that I can come off benefits and dla and do at least a 40 hour week.

thing is my body isn't quite up to it yet. after chemo the cells usually take up to 18months to fully recover so I tire quite quickly.
i'm getting there and feel stronger as time goes on. also tho i'm loathe to say my dla and benefits prevents me from part time work. I need to be confident that I can come off benefits and dla and do at least a 40 hour week.
Sorry mate, didn't remember you'd been ill.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember you saying that you were being supported by Macmillan mate ?.

Can they help in anyway, even if it's just to get out of the house once a week to a support meeting with others who are in recovery. Sounds strange, but a mate of mine who had throat cancer has made a couple of good mates from his meetings.

Apologies if this is something that you are doing already, but just thinking out loud

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember you saying that you were being supported by Macmillan mate ?.

Can they help in anyway, even if it's just to get out of the house once a week to a support meeting with others who are in recovery. Sounds strange, but a mate of mine who had throat cancer has made a couple of good mates from his meetings.

Apologies if this is something that you are doing already, but just thinking out loud
had quite a few counselling meetings with McMillan in the beginning and they help me with any financial difficulties or any problems for that matter. I go out to the pub once a week with my dad for a quiz night and chat to people I know there. have started going to matches more now,been to about 4 this season and got my villa ticket so meet up with all my match going mates. (might even have a ticket for boro from wxm branch of supporters club my first away since Wembley) so getting about more and meeting people more often than I have done.

had quite a few counselling meetings with McMillan in the beginning and they help me with any financial difficulties or any problems for that matter. I go out to the pub once a week with my dad for a quiz night and chat to people I know there. have started going to matches more now,been to about 4 this season and got my villa ticket so meet up with all my match going mates. (might even have a ticket for boro from wxm branch of supporters club my first away since Wembley) so getting about more and meeting people more often than I have done.

Well in mate, sounds like you're on the right track. Obviously you can't do any part time work as it affects your DLA etc, how about voluntary work ?. Something that interests you or you hold dear. The beauty of voluntary work is that you can usually do as little or as much as you want. Don't be thinking it's all old ladies in charity shops either, voluntary work is wide and varied mate. Again just thinking out loud !

Well in mate, sounds like you're on the right track. Obviously you can't do any part time work as it affects your DLA etc, how about voluntary work ?. Something that interests you or you hold dear. The beauty of voluntary work is that you can usually do as little or as much as you want. Don't be thinking it's all old ladies in charity shops either, voluntary work is wide and varied mate. Again just thinking out loud !
as I receive an allowance as well as DLA voluntary work has an affect. I know it sounds like i'm trying to find excuses not to work but unless I can find full time employment that is comparable to my out goings, rent ,c/tax, electric etc then I can't risk ending up with nothing.

as I receive an allowance as well as DLA voluntary work has an affect. I know it sounds like i'm trying to find excuses not to work but unless I can find full time employment that is comparable to my out goings, rent ,c/tax, electric etc then I can't risk ending up with nothing.

I fully understand mate. I am a carer for my youngest son who is disabled and I'm in a similar position to you in that I lose the carers allowance if I earn over a certain amount ( small ) per week. Its bonkers that you are penalised for working, but that's for another thread !.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back