Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

How did you eventually straighten everything out mate ?

I haven't really mate. Dad's been ill the last few weeks so found solace in losing a packet in gambling and binge drinking at the weekends. I guess there's always an excuse to go back to doing what you want to be able to stop but I do keep trying.

Promised myself I wouldn't drink tonight, first night in months I reckon where I've not had an ale, well there might have been the odd one if I was sick or something, but the first I've decided not to have a can. I have been having about 8 pint cans of Stella a night the last few weeks!
Kept myself mega busy, been out with the dog, cleaned the bathroom, made the tea and had a shower. Just sat down now will watch the second half of the goals show on BT and get to bed I think. Can't say it will be a long term thing, but I think for the next few days I'll just try and stick at it, keeping busy is key for me.

Promised myself I wouldn't drink tonight, first night in months I reckon where I've not had an ale, well there might have been the odd one if I was sick or something, but the first I've decided not to have a can. I have been having about 8 pint cans of Stella a night the last few weeks!
Kept myself mega busy, been out with the dog, cleaned the bathroom, made the tea and had a shower. Just sat down now will watch the second half of the goals show on BT and get to bed I think. Can't say it will be a long term thing, but I think for the next few days I'll just try and stick at it, keeping busy is key for me.

Good luck mate. Exercise is great for ensuring you have a good nights sleep so get that dog out in the cold even if he doesn't want to go.

Good luck fella. Remember the dog only has you, you've got loads of people you could rely on.i make a point of being the one who walks our dog and he knows that!

I haven't really mate. Dad's been ill the last few weeks so found solace in losing a packet in gambling and binge drinking at the weekends. I guess there's always an excuse to go back to doing what you want to be able to stop but I do keep trying.

Forgive me if this sounds patronising, but it's not meant to be. Have you thought about seeking professional help - A.A. / Gamblers anonymous mate ?. I'm sure there's many people in your situation.

Forgive me if this sounds patronising, but it's not meant to be. Have you thought about seeking professional help - A.A. / Gamblers anonymous mate ?. I'm sure there's many people in your situation.

Not patronising at all mate. I always think I can deal with it myself and I feel I should be dealing with it myself and I guess because I've seen at close hand how both things can be so destructive I've always thought 'well I'm not that bad...'. Need to sort the gambling out in the new year though and if I can't then I will be seeking some professional help.

Absolutely mate.

The point of all this is to try to encourage people to seek further help.

I've lost track over the years of waking up in the morning telling myself I'm going to give something up then by the evening I'll sit there and think well just tonight, what's the point in being bored for the rest of my life...If only bad things were good for you!
I always think I can deal with it myself and I feel I should be dealing with it myself and I guess because I've seen at close hand how both things can be so destructive I've always thought 'well I'm not that bad...'.
Crazy how much I can relate to this, it's the same story here. You have my support.

Not patronising at all mate. I always think I can deal with it myself and I feel I should be dealing with it myself and I guess because I've seen at close hand how both things can be so destructive I've always thought 'well I'm not that bad...'. Need to sort the gambling out in the new year though and if I can't then I will be seeking some professional help.

The thing is mate, there's no need to tough it out by yourself when there's help out there. I tried to go it alone with my depression and anxiety problems which led in the end to a near breakdown and nearly losing my missus and son. It was only when my missus said that she'd go with my lad if I didn't get help that I went and got proper help. This probably saved my sanity and kept my family together. I know it's not the same, but what I'm trying to say is that the sooner you do something about it mate, the sooner you can start to address your problems and hopefully kick them.

The thing is mate, there's no need to tough it out by yourself when there's help out there. I tried to go it alone with my depression and anxiety problems which led in the end to a near breakdown and nearly losing my missus and son. It was only when my missus said that she'd go with my lad if I didn't get help that I went and got proper help. This probably saved my sanity and kept my family together. I know it's not the same, but what I'm trying to say is that the sooner you do something about it mate, the sooner you can start to address your problems and hopefully kick them.

Absolutely mate, thank you.

I totally agree
The hardest step is making the phone call and attending the first session
Talking to the right people who are trained in these areas will get you back on the right tracks
I was told 'time to look after you and your wellbeing' made me sit up and listen

Had a pretty horrid night, sweating badly and tossing and turning. Gonna try an go again tonight though, should sleep better because I'm knackered.

It's the ale leaving your system mate. If I was you I'd prepare for a few rough nights. Loads of water and plan for being possibly being up during the night - maybe crack open a box set or see who's up on here !

Wish you all the best mates stay strong, it will slowly get better, you've just got through this bit first .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back