Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Good advice mate, very similar to my post last night that was deleted for some under explained reason
This post?

OK lads, Christmas can be a bad time for those already a little down and watching everyone else celebrate and be happy.

My advice is to understand that this is a fake religious mock up of something that never really happened, descended from a previous pagan festival at this time of the year. Also it's propagated by big business looking for the lower classes to spend their hard earned money to the benefit of the capitalist classes.

Therefore, largely ignore it, have the occasional night out on the lash and enjoy a few days off work.

Sorted.

In the context of the thread at the time, it seemed inappropriate to us, and the post had been reported for being inappropriate in tone, hence why it was removed, and you were notified.

Clearly Duals feels the same as you, however I feel it's the tone of your post that seemed a little out of place and brash at the time.

Try not to take it personally, that's not the intention.

Lost my nana on Friday. Felt like I've been in a horrible nightmare ever since.

Don't use Facebook for all that public mourning but my nana raised me and was the closest thing to a real mum I had. It's the most upset I've been since the birth of my daughter.

Found out on Saturday morning at 6am. Day before my daughters 8th birthday.
Deepest condolences mate

As some of u may know my brother passed away this year. Been a bloody awful time and seeing as he died from a diabetes related illness and other brother has also been ill from another it has hit my mum hard. Obviously I now get the brunt of this from phone calls daily (which I don't mind) off her and asking if I looking after myself. Currently waiting for results of blood test at doctors just to put her mind at peace.

Previously in my life I had a MOMENT and took some pills in a crazy moment but fortunately looked at the picture of my nephew and niece and got help and was fine in long term. Anyone who feels down needs to talk to someone, they WILL listen and they will almost certainly surprise you and help you in ways you don't expect.

Within 24 hours of calling an ambulance and after being up all night vomiting black gunk I played cricket with my brother as I wasn't allowed out of hospital unless it was with someone they trusted and my parents were away. I went to cricket and we only had 9 players so I played anyway. Not sure how I ended up not out as I was away with fairies but did and saved game. Told a couple of guys i'd known for years and they were amazing for years and have even been checking I fine since brother died. That day has crossed my mind many times since the summer and it wouldn't have been possible had I not asked for help.

I know I am going to have the worst christmas ever but anyone who feels low for god sake talk to someone, you will be pleasantly surprised by who will support you.
I think the importance of talking is not stressed enough to people, sometimes talking to trained people is a god send as they do not pre judge you and most probably have heard it all before so can offer sound advice.
Take care

I think the importance of talking is not stressed enough to people, sometimes talking to trained people is a god send as they do not pre judge you and most probably have heard it all before so can offer sound advice.
Take care

Definitely. Rough time of year for a lot of people, so having a chat with someone who's trained to listen can really help. Can do it anonymously through some of the phonelines and webchats (like with CALM) if you can't face doing it any other way.

Have a safe and hopefully enjoyable christmas all.

A while back someone was asking about email/online contact for Counselling and I mentioned the Samaritans. Their SMS service is now operating so people could use this if they don't wish to speak direct with someone. I would add that I have no direct contact with Samaritans and am not promoting them over or suggesting they are better than other excellent organisations mentioned here. But just a reminder that there are people who will listen on the phone and respond to SMS and emails without judgement or advice, just there to listen.

A while back someone was asking about email/online contact for Counselling and I mentioned the Samaritans. Their SMS service is now operating so people could use this if they don't wish to speak direct with someone. I would add that I have no direct contact with Samaritans and am not promoting them over or suggesting they are better than other excellent organisations mentioned here. But just a reminder that there are people who will listen on the phone and respond to SMS and emails without judgement or advice, just there to listen.

Plus the Samaritans are manned 24 hrs a day, every day of the year, so there's always someone to talk to. My mates girlfriend does nights on the phone over Christmas for them as a trained volunteer. They provide an incredible service.

It's nearly Christmas Eve, and I'm conscious that as wonderful Christmas is for many, for a large minority it's not.

So I reckoned I'd just say to anyone who is perhaps not looking forward to the holiday as others are that there's a group of people from this site, a much larger group than you could imagine, who will take a little time to think of you over the next few days. Not only will we think of you, but we'll hope that the positive messages and outcomes this thread produces will make things a little easier for you, and provide an inspiration for better times ahead.

I truly hope so.

Merry Christmas to you all, and may your troubles become much smaller in 2016 ;)

Think I'm scared of spending Xmas single again when it feels like everyone else I know is cuddling up with someone lovely.
I'm in what should be my best years of my life and it feels like all that's happened in 2015 is I've got a year older and more bitter.

I'm exactly the same as you mate, and I'm so alone it's unbelievable, but remember it's just a corporate holiday at this point... Yeah, it's nice to have someone with you on it, as everything's great and all festive around now, and we're young and want to have fun and experience things a lot more frequently and a lot more vividly, so to say, but it's not the end of the world - just sleep in or do your own thing on Christmas (like me - I'll be at work on Christmas eve AND Boxing day lol ) to get your mind off it; DVD boxset of your favourite show, or THAT one you haven't watched, a bottle of wine (or whatever your preferred poison is) and a lot of food, and that's Christmas sorted! It's what I'm doing on the 25th anyway, like.

Lots of people are single or alone at Christmas lads, it's really not that unusual. If you want to be alone, that's fine, but there'll be lots of people in the same boat if you fancy a bit of company.

It's been a while since I was single, but one of the best Christmas's I had I was single and a long way from home. I spent the day with quite a few people who were on their own, friends, neighbours and some people I hardly knew and, it was an ace day.

On relationships ... don't try too hard, but, figuratively, leave your door and your mind open. I met my missus when I was visiting my mum in hospital and she was working on the ward. My best mate met her now husband when walking her dog. Stuff just happens sometimes, don't worry about it, just accept it when it does.

On relationships ... don't try too hard, but, figuratively, leave your door and your mind open. I met my missus when I was visiting my mum in hospital and she was working on the ward. My best mate met her now husband when walking her dog. Stuff just happens sometimes, don't worry about it, just accept it when it does.
Met my wife when we were sat next to each other on a flight from Honolulu to Nandi! It wasn't even the flight I had booked on but I got moved at the last minute. She was part of a group that they ran out of seats for & they put her on the same flight as me... It can happen when you least expect it. Woolly's right about the open door...

;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back