Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Really taken back by such a thoughtful thread on this forum.
A topic very close to my heart, one that's easily overlooked... Especially in the footballing community.
Best of luck to you all in the new year, anyone who wishes to confide in a stranger feel free to contact me, I'm always willing to listen.

Just know that all hope is not lost, you're never alone, today is a good a day as any to move forward.

A topic very close to my heart, one that's easily overlooked... Especially in the footballing community.
Best of luck to you all in the new year, anyone who wishes to confide in a stranger feel free to contact me, I'm always willing to listen.

Just know that all hope is not lost, you're never alone, today is a good a day as any to move forward.
Beautiful words my man. Today is the perfect day to try and make that change :)

Welcome to the thread mate. Thanks for your positive message.

As a means of protecting both you and other posters we try not to encourage conversations by PM with people new to the site. By all means offer your view though in this thread, I am sure they will be as welcome and valuable as everyone else's.

Had a relapse lately. It seems to get really bad when I have a drink, like last night.

I don't drink for fun, I drink to cope which is a bad path to be on.

I had to go to the doctors a couple of months ago because it got too much to take. They advised me to take the tablets, but my job prevents it. I'd have to tell them I'm taking tablets and then I would be signed off given the nature of the role. I don't want people in work to think I'm like that.

I've got counselling booked and should be getting my first appointment within the next five weeks.
It'll be the second time I've tried counselling, first being a few years ago. Hoping with me being a bit more honest this time around I can make some progress.

Had a relapse lately. It seems to get really bad when I have a drink, like last night.

I don't drink for fun, I drink to cope which is a bad path to be on.

I had to go to the doctors a couple of months ago because it got too much to take. They advised me to take the tablets, but my job prevents it. I'd have to tell them I'm taking tablets and then I would be signed off given the nature of the role. I don't want people in work to think I'm like that.

I've got counselling booked and should be getting my first appointment within the next five weeks.
It'll be the second time I've tried counselling, first being a few years ago. Hoping with me being a bit more honest this time around I can make some progress.

Brave post mate. Have you thought about Alcoholics Anonymous to seek help for your problems ?. Alcohol and depression go hand in hand and are a toxic mix.

Surely in this day and age your work place has a duty to support you, even if it means a temporary sideways move until you are better ?.

Depression is an illness same as any other illness, surely to be treated differently is discriminatory if are forced to take time off when taking medication which is part of recovery ?.

Could you expand a bit more ?

Brave post mate. Have you thought about Alcoholics Anonymous to seek help for your problems ?. Alcohol and depression go hand in hand and are a toxic mix.

Surely in this day and age your work place has a duty to support you, even if it means a temporary sideways move until you are better ?.

Depression is an illness same as any other illness, surely to be treated differently is discriminatory if are forced to take time off when taking medication which is part of recovery ?.

Could you expand a bit more ?
They'd be supportive if you told them. It's a very big company.

I get randomly drug and alcohol tested. I need to declare any medication I am taking.

I could tell them, but feel I can't. I'm good at wearing a mask to hide everything. People in work think that I'm all happy and joking, I don't want people to think that I'm not coping.

There is a man in work who has currently been signed off with depression for the past nine months.

They'd be supportive if you told them. It's a very big company.

I get randomly drug and alcohol tested. I need to declare any medication I am taking.

I could tell them, but feel I can't. I'm good at wearing a mask to hide everything. People in work think that I'm all happy and joking, I don't want people to think that I'm not coping.

There is a man in work who has currently been signed off with depression for the past nine months.

Drug and alcohol tests aren't uncommon at work these days mate. They won't be checking to see if you're taking anti-depressants, they just need to know if anything you're taking might interfere with the tests.

Talk to someone in your HR department. You won't be the only one, they'll have talked to many people in the same circumstances and it should be confidential.

There's a world of difference between being signed off on long term sick and taking some medication which may well help you.

Drug and alcohol tests aren't uncommon at work these days mate. They won't be checking to see if you're taking anti-depressants, they just need to know if anything you're taking might interfere with the tests.

Talk to someone in your HR department. You won't be the only one, they'll have talked to many people in the same circumstances and it should be confidential.

There's a world of difference between being signed off on long term sick and taking some medication which may well help you.
I don't want to say who I'm working for incase anyone reading knows it is me.

I have spoken to HR anonymously. I have to declare the medication that I am taking to my line manager. Me and my line manager are more like mates, I wouldn't want him to know.

My role is deemed safety critical, I wouldn't be able to be doing what I do if I tell them, it is very big on suicide prevention.

The man who has been signed off now will not be able to do his job fully when he returns, he'll be office based for the foreseeable.

He won't even be working full time, it'll be a phased scheme to get him back to work.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back