Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi mate
If you work for a big Company I would surmise they have a Wellbeing group, or similar. It maybe worth looking into what the company can do for you through this area. I work for a big company and I am involved in the Wellbeing area, it is frightening and concerning how many people are off with depression and illness,s that are linked. In days gone bye company's kept a distance from this type of illness but credit to them they now realise this is common place and they are far more understanding and more pro-active.
I am sure there is a HR person who will sit with you and let you explain your issues, I think you will be surprised that they are not surprised, as believe me you will not be on your own.
You need to speak with your company, as it will help you and your future employment, if they know they can help, if they don't know they can't help
Good luck..
Thanks, mate.

They do provide support, the problem being I would have to tell them about it.

I'm in a safety critical role. Antidepressants would need to be declared to my line manager who would then have to take me off my duties.

As I said above, work is going really well. I don't want to bring my problems into my work life and jeopardise a great opportunity.

I went to the doctors in October who advised me to take the medication, but I've had to decline. As an alternative I'm trying counselling again.

I had a phone appointment on November 25th and they said I should get my first appointment letter within the next 8-10 weeks, so it isn't too far away.

I last tried counselling 4 years ago, but with a bit more honesty this time I'm hoping it can get better.

I'm in a safety critical role. Antidepressants would need to be declared to my line manager who would then have to take me off my duties.

As I said above, work is going really well. I don't want to bring my problems into my work life and jeopardise a great opportunity.
I'm going to play Devils Advocate here but, would it not be wise to be open & honest in such a safety critical role? Clearly I don't know what you do, nor do I need to, but if they have such a policy in place I can only assume it's for a good reason.

Having said that, I totally understand your reasoning to maintain a good job, and the fact that if you can stay off the pills then there's no need to declare your situation. It's a tough call either way but you have to weigh up personal health against the safety critical aspect of your role here.

I wish you well in a successful treatment without medication.

Thanks, mate.

They do provide support, the problem being I would have to tell them about it.

I went to the doctors in October who advised me to take the medication, but I've had to decline. As an alternative I'm trying counselling again.

I had a phone appointment on November 25th and they said I should get my first appointment letter within the next 8-10 weeks, so it isn't too far away.

I last tried counselling 4 years ago, but with a bit more honesty this time I'm hoping it can get better.

Hi mate
If you can afford it, go private and speed it up? I was lucky as I got it through work. It worked for me and I have (so far) kept off meds. I have good and bad spells (it's anxiety more than depression for me) but when having a bad spell the counselling kicks in and I question my own negative thoughts and seem to get out of it a lot quicker. I wish u all the best mate as it's a horrible thing and has nearly cost me my marriage

I'm going to play Devils Advocate here but, would it not be wise to be open & honest in such a safety critical role? Clearly I don't know what you do, nor do I need to, but if they have such a policy in place I can only assume it's for a good reason.

Having said that, I totally understand your reasoning to maintain a good job, and the fact that if you can stay off the pills then there's no need to declare your situation. It's a tough call either way but you have to weigh up personal health against the safety critical aspect of your role here.

I wish you well in a successful treatment without medication.
It isn't safety critical in the sense that I'm a doctor, etc. It is more a case of my own safety.

It isn't having an effect on my work or my ability to work. If anything, I find the structure of work something to keep me focused.

Today marks 8 years to the day I attempted suicide

Don't do lads, it really really really isn't worth it. Life does get better

Amazing sharing that mate, well done- incredible getting through that. I can also echo this. Despite only being probably 6 months into my 'feeling normal', I don't think I've ever had such a good few months in my life. It came after the worst two, where I also attempted suicide twice. The experience will make you're good times so much more amazing. And they will return, or happen for the first time.

With regards to suicide, what got me through it? Without going into that ridiculous assumption by some that suicide is selfish, what really prevented me from going through it was actually my mum telling me, "if you go, I go too." That's how much it would have affected her, and at the point, I didn't even think that I mattered to her. You matter to someone, always. If they're not around now, then they will be when you recover. There's so much to experience, so hold on, try to ride it out, seek help and use everything out there to help you.

And us, of course! :cheers:

Amazing sharing that mate, well done- incredible getting through that. I can also echo this. Despite only being probably 6 months into my 'feeling normal', I don't think I've ever had such a good few months in my life. It came after the worst two, where I also attempted suicide twice. The experience will make you're good times so much more amazing. And they will return, or happen for the first time.

With regards to suicide, what got me through it? Without going into that ridiculous assumption by some that suicide is selfish, what really prevented me from going through it was actually my mum telling me, "if you go, I go too." That's how much it would have affected her, and at the point, I didn't even think that I mattered to her. You matter to someone, always. If they're not around now, then they will be when you recover. There's so much to experience, so hold on, try to ride it out, seek help and use everything out there to help you.

You are very strong as well mate,hoping you have a great future.
By the way what a line from your mum,it made you think and worked

You are very strong as well mate,hoping you have a great future.
By the way what a line from your mum,it made you think and worked

Thanks mate. You don't feel strong when going through it, but in reality, nothing could be further from the truth! And definitely, I remember being devastated when she said that, but honestly, it's been mostly uphill since then. Now heading to Liverpool in September to study Mental Health Nursing. So hopefully put a bit back in! :)

Thanks mate. You don't feel strong when going through it, but in reality, nothing could be further from the truth! And definitely, I remember being devastated when she said that, but honestly, it's been mostly uphill since then. Now heading to Liverpool in September to study Mental Health Nursing. So hopefully put a bit back in! :)
Good on you mate hope it goes well.
I think its strong to admit you need help and not take the easy way out believe me you are strong

I'm really pleased you are here to tell the tale.

Well done and thanks for sharing. Hopefully others will see this and be strong.

Incredible that this sort of conversation can take place on a football forum. Really cannot thank posters enough for their courage and stress how beneficial to others it is to hear such stories.

In addition to the above, getting people to talk, and possibly prevent them doing something regrettable, was sort of the point of this thread.

Brilliant stuff. Hopefully amazing posts like this can give hope to other sufferers. Despite how bad things may seem things can and will get better with the right support, treatment and time.

This has really made my day ;)

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back