Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I don't want to say who I'm working for incase anyone reading knows it is me.

I have spoken to HR anonymously. I have to declare the medication that I am taking to my line manager. Me and my line manager are more like mates, I wouldn't want him to know.

My role is deemed safety critical, I wouldn't be able to be doing what I do if I tell them, it is very big on suicide prevention.

The man who has been signed off now will not be able to do his job fully when he returns, he'll be office based for the foreseeable.

He won't even be working full time, it'll be a phased scheme to get him back to work.

I'm no expert mate, but some safety critical jobs and anti-depressants don't go together well because of the side effects of the anti-depressants.

Bottom line is, you need to get well. If the counselling does that without the need for medication then that's great, but your health is the most important thing here.

They'd be supportive if you told them. It's a very big company.

I get randomly drug and alcohol tested. I need to declare any medication I am taking.

I could tell them, but feel I can't. I'm good at wearing a mask to hide everything. People in work think that I'm all happy and joking, I don't want people to think that I'm not coping.

There is a man in work who has currently been signed off with depression for the past nine months.

All of the people in your situation wear " a mask " mate. I did it for years. I'd step out of the door and put my " happy mask " on. However the pressure of maintaining the " mask " is incredible and eventually just makes your illness worse.

To me it doesn't sound like the time is right for you to be open about your illness. You'll know when the time is right, if ever.

I know exactly how you feel, I've been there. It's incredibly difficult.

Have a look at this site mate - MENTAL HEALTH FORUM.

I always recommend it, as it's a truly wonderful site and online community. It's NHS run and you have join same as here. I can guarantee 100% there will be someone on there who is in the exact situation as you.

It was this site and members that gave me the direction to start a proper and planned recovery.

Keep posting mate.

Any employer these days who automatically links depression to an inability to perform a task, no matter how much focus is needed is wrong.

I work aboard merchant navy vessels and depression is one of the major aspects many people have to over come.

Due to the nature of our work we are also tested. Although Im not a sufferer myself I know many who are, one of which I spoke to today after reading your post. He is under medication and has been tested since, he did not declare it in his test... Nothing was mentioned. These tests are normally to find metabolites of illegal substances, as stated in an earlier post, the decleration is meerly to account for false positives (For example ibuprofen used to cause a false positive for THC)

By no means am I suggesting you make false declerations... But certainly don't be worried about being forced to speak to someone if you feel uncomfortable about it.

These procedures are however in place to help staff, not to punish. Maybe having a chat with your line manager may be an option, as long as you are happy to do so. You may find that the severity of your particular case may not warrant as much necessary action.

I wish you well on your road to recovery, be proud of the steps you have taken from the time you felt at your lowest. A relapse is only a blip, you havent taken a step backwards. Well done for getting this far, not many do.

I don't want to say who I'm working for incase anyone reading knows it is me.

I have spoken to HR anonymously. I have to declare the medication that I am taking to my line manager. Me and my line manager are more like mates, I wouldn't want him to know.

My role is deemed safety critical, I wouldn't be able to be doing what I do if I tell them, it is very big on suicide prevention.

The man who has been signed off now will not be able to do his job fully when he returns, he'll be office based for the foreseeable.

He won't even be working full time, it'll be a phased scheme to get him back to work.

You have to think of your long term welfare v's what you foresee being peoples reactions to both you and your ability to do your job. Have you got a staff support service? How about an Occupational Health Department? You should be able to be referred and treated with confidentiality.
Have you thought about speaking to your line manager. He may be the person you need to confide in as your relationship sounds a good one and you might just need his support through this tough time.
It's not uncommon in our place for anyone that has been off for a long time to come back on a phased return. That's not an indication that they are not able to do their job, more a way to gently build them back in to full hours and duties.
Good luck mate.

You have to think of your long term welfare v's what you foresee being peoples reactions to both you and your ability to do your job. Have you got a staff support service? How about an Occupational Health Department? You should be able to be referred and treated with confidentiality.
Have you thought about speaking to your line manager. He may be the person you need to confide in as your relationship sounds a good one and you might just need his support through this tough time.
It's not uncommon in our place for anyone that has been off for a long time to come back on a phased return. That's not an indication that they are not able to do their job, more a way to gently build them back in to full hours and duties.
Good luck mate.
It's the nature of my role, my line manager wouldn't have a choice but to take me off certain duties.

I'm 22, so I'm the youngest in the team. Oddly enough work is going absolutely great. I've had really good feedback and they've really pushed me on.

I don't want to spoil anything in work. I've been given a lot of responsibility, and I don't want to let them down.

I know it shouldn't but it's full of mostly fellas and you know how it is when it's like that. Sensitivity isn't really a strong point.

It's the nature of my role, my line manager wouldn't have a choice but to take me off certain duties.

I'm 22, so I'm the youngest in the team. Oddly enough work is going absolutely great. I've had really good feedback and they've really pushed me on.

I don't want to spoil anything in work. I've been given a lot of responsibility, and I don't want to let them down.

I know it shouldn't but it's full of mostly fellas and you know how it is when it's like that. Sensitivity isn't really a strong point.

Totally understand your last point, but you might find you'd be surprised! Just think ... Your on a football forum!

Totally understand your last point, but you might find you'd be surprised! Just think ... Your on a football forum!
I know I have my counselling starting again, so it is something to keep looking to.

It is the drink that really elevates it. I know I will feel terribly anxious and depressed but I do it anyway. Ill drink to the point that I will remember absolutely nothing. This isn't just a one off. This is every weekend I get absolutely bladdered. I won't know how I got in, where I went, etc.

I've been speaking to my best mate most of the day. He knows how bad I get and it is a great help speaking about it.

I know I have my counselling starting again, so it is something to keep looking to.

It is the drink that really elevates it. I know I will feel terribly anxious and depressed but I do it anyway. Ill drink to the point that I will remember absolutely nothing. This isn't just a one off. This is every weekend I get absolutely bladdered. I won't know how I got in, where I went, etc.

I've been speaking to my best mate most of the day. He knows how bad I get and it is a great help speaking about it.

It's good that you've recognised your problems mate, but I really do think that if your getting that caned every weekend and know why you're doing it, that you should be seeking professional help. A by product of my depression was chronic anxiety problems which I still have but manage now. The day after drinking heavily my anxiety is multiplied by at least ten. This is due to the alcohol and chemicals in your brain that govern mood etc mixing with your hangover and causing what the Irish call " the fear ". I have learnt through bitter experience that I have a limit that tips me over the edge the following day and as result I really do watch what I drink now. This has caused all kinds of social problems over the years - parties, weddings, big social events, as once I've hit my functioning limit I stop drinking. Drives my missus up the wall, says I'm a bore, forgotten how to have fun etc, but she doesn't understand how bad the following day is if I go over the limit . It will only get much worse if you carry on mate, as you'll be tempted to start drinking again just to chase away " the fear " and that's when you've got real problems .

It's good that you've recognised your problems mate, but I really do think that if your getting that caned every weekend and know why you're doing it, that you should be seeking professional help. A by product of my depression was chronic anxiety problems which I still have but manage now. The day after drinking heavily my anxiety is multiplied by at least ten. This is due to the alcohol and chemicals in your brain that govern mood etc mixing with your hangover and causing what the Irish call " the fear ". I have learnt through bitter experience that I have a limit that tips me over the edge the following day and as result I really do watch what I drink now. This has caused all kinds of social problems over the years - parties, weddings, big social events, as once I've hit my functioning limit I stop drinking. Drives my missus up the wall, says I'm a bore, forgotten how to have fun etc, but she doesn't understand how bad the following day is if I go over the limit . It will only get much worse if you carry on mate, as you'll be tempted to start drinking again just to chase away " the fear " and that's when you've got real problems .
I tried to cut it out once, I'd ask for water inbetween drinks, etc. I had the same 'why are you being a bore?'

My tolerance for it is very low before I reach blackout stage. Anything over 6 pints or so. On a normal night out I have easily at least 8 pints, two quadvods and God knows how many doubles.

As I said though, this isn't me drinking for the fun of it. I have really hit a downward spiral the past few months.

I can't wait to have my appointment for counselling. It should be within the next 3-4 weeks.

The tablets are just something I'm going to have to do without.

Had a 'hypnopompic hallucination' last night. Never had anything like it. Was in bed , woke up, saw a man few feet away (very detailed) , jumped out of bed and went to hit him. Nothing there.

Like i say never had anything like it so hopefully its just a 1 off. No idea why, mentally i'm as happy as i've been in a good while, no drugs or nothing. i managed to calm down instantly and google wtf just happened, which sort of set my mind at ease. Mad though.

I tried to cut it out once, I'd ask for water inbetween drinks, etc. I had the same 'why are you being a bore?'

My tolerance for it is very low before I reach blackout stage. Anything over 6 pints or so. On a normal night out I have easily at least 8 pints, two quadvods and God knows how many doubles.

As I said though, this isn't me drinking for the fun of it. I have really hit a downward spiral the past few months.

I can't wait to have my appointment for counselling. It should be within the next 3-4 weeks.

Discus it all with your GP / Councellor mate. Try and be as honest as you can. Good luck mate and keep posting.

They'd be supportive if you told them. It's a very big company.

I get randomly drug and alcohol tested. I need to declare any medication I am taking.

I could tell them, but feel I can't. I'm good at wearing a mask to hide everything. People in work think that I'm all happy and joking, I don't want people to think that I'm not coping.

There is a man in work who has currently been signed off with depression for the past nine months.
Hi mate
If you work for a big Company I would surmise they have a Wellbeing group, or similar. It maybe worth looking into what the company can do for you through this area. I work for a big company and I am involved in the Wellbeing area, it is frightening and concerning how many people are off with depression and illness,s that are linked. In days gone bye company's kept a distance from this type of illness but credit to them they now realise this is common place and they are far more understanding and more pro-active.
I am sure there is a HR person who will sit with you and let you explain your issues, I think you will be surprised that they are not surprised, as believe me you will not be on your own.
You need to speak with your company, as it will help you and your future employment, if they know they can help, if they don't know they can't help
Good luck..

Often, the anxiety can be worse than the depressive episode.

Persevere mate, you'll get through.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back