Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thanks, appreciate that ;)

It's not good up here but I have been pretty fortunate so far in being able to keep my job, seen a lot of very talented people discarded. Don't get me wrong there were some people that milked the industry for everything it was worth for many years but the people I worked with were just regular guys on a salary living month to month.
Yep, that's a good summary. I "survived" about 8 reorganisations / downturns in the oil industry over 25 years, youngest son was out of oil work for 6 months was pretty tough for him, recently started a new job though. A great industry when times are good, pretty savage when they're not.

I've just been referred for highly intensive CBT. I desperately need to sort out my anxiety and low confidence issues.

I've been referred to an online CBT course and it hasn't done much for me, if I'm being honest. But they do say it is a very subjective style of therapy, and that it affects everyone differently. Perhaps my mind wasn't open enough to the idea, perhaps it wasn't designed with me in mind.

So good luck with your treatment and, if you feel like it, let us know how you get on.

I wish you all the best mate.

I've been referred to an online CBT course and it hasn't done much for me, if I'm being honest. But they do say it is a very subjective style of therapy, and that it affects everyone differently. Perhaps my mind wasn't open enough to the idea, perhaps it wasn't designed with me in mind.

So good luck with your treatment and, if you feel like it, let us know how you get on.

I wish you all the best mate.

Will do, it's one-to-one so perhaps I'll get more use out of it. I had been waiting for counseling for almost 5 months. So just to be able to see anyone will be a huge bonus to me.

Will do, it's one-to-one so perhaps I'll get more use out of it. I had been waiting for counseling for almost 5 months. So just to be able to see anyone will be a huge bonus to me.

Therapy in person will be 100% better than an online thing, I guarantee it. That's seems like such a long time to wait too.

Good luck mate, don't hold back, the more you tell them, the more they can help. Don't be embarrassed about anything either, they're proffessionals and are there to help not judge .

I've just been referred for highly intensive CBT. I desperately need to sort out my anxiety and low confidence issues.

I've not long finished an 8 week one to one course of it mate and it's been great. I never really expected much from it because I'm a bit of a knobhead and rarely follow these things through properly, but I actually did everything that she asked of me in terms of the bits of 'homework' she gave me and I was brutally honest for once about my issues and that helped massively.

I've had similar things before but always held back bits and pieces cos I'm not really a big sharer of my thoughts and feelings, so unsurprisingly any treatment hasn't had the desired effect. Don't hold back mate, if there's something bothering you that you think isn't of relevance then get it off your chest anyway, I was surprised at just how many little things were all linked together.

Good luck with it, hopefully you'll benefit from it as much as I did and if you want any advice about what to expect etc. then feel free to message me.

I'm fortunate that I haven't had any serious thoughts of suicide, but only a feeling of worthlessness. If my wait is indicative of the general trend then it does make you wonder about others.

Perhaps those who have had darker thoughts take priority when it comes to therapy and therefore have shorter waiting times because their deemed to be more "at risk".

Just a guess obviously though because I wouldn't really know the selection/waiting process.

My referral for first person therapy was rejected (probably because of demand) and that's why I got the online thing. Been seeing a counsellor through my university student services though and it has been refreshing to say the least. The waiting times are also much shorter (given that there are only a tiny number of students in comparison to the general population).

To reiterate what @COYBL25 said, don't hold back. The more honest you are, the more weight is lifted from your shoulders, in my experience anyway.

I've not long finished an 8 week one to one course of it mate and it's been great. I never really expected much from it because I'm a bit of a knobhead and rarely follow these things through properly, but I actually did everything that she asked of me in terms of the bits of 'homework' she gave me and I was brutally honest for once about my issues and that helped massively.

I've had similar things before but always held back bits and pieces cos I'm not really a big sharer of my thoughts and feelings, so unsurprisingly any treatment hasn't had the desired effect. Don't hold back mate, if there's something bothering you that you think isn't of relevance then get it off your chest anyway, I was surprised at just how many little things were all linked together.

Good luck with it, hopefully you'll benefit from it as much as I did and if you want any advice about what to expect etc. then feel free to message me.

Good to see the therapy has helped mate.

Honesty is such a big part of it, more so being honest with yourself about your own problems & weaknesses because then you can accept the help.
It is difficult, like you said, for many to open up and be truthful about their thoughts and feelings but once you push through it can be such a relief.

Glad to see you have benefited from it!

Good to see the therapy has helped mate.

Honesty is such a big part of it, more so being honest with yourself about your own problems & weaknesses because then you can accept the help.
It is difficult, like you said, for many to open up and be truthful about their thoughts and feelings but once you push through it can be such a relief.

Glad to see you have benefited from it!

Cheers mate, sadly I'm still a knobhead but I don't think all therapy in the world would sort that.

Sounds like me. I hate disclosing my feelings to anyone, apart from when it comes to football obviously as I believe that I'll engage in a debate before finally agreeing that I was right, and I love that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back