Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I've not long finished an 8 week one to one course of it mate and it's been great. I never really expected much from it because I'm a bit of a knobhead and rarely follow these things through properly, but I actually did everything that she asked of me in terms of the bits of 'homework' she gave me and I was brutally honest for once about my issues and that helped massively.

I've had similar things before but always held back bits and pieces cos I'm not really a big sharer of my thoughts and feelings, so unsurprisingly any treatment hasn't had the desired effect. Don't hold back mate, if there's something bothering you that you think isn't of relevance then get it off your chest anyway, I was surprised at just how many little things were all linked together.

Good luck with it, hopefully you'll benefit from it as much as I did and if you want any advice about what to expect etc. then feel free to message me.
Did you go through your GP?

I went to see the GP about my issues and they suggested CBT and gave me the details of someone called Healthy Minds, I then had to get in touch with them directly and they did an initial assessment over the phone before sticking me on the waiting list.
I'm glad it worked out.

How long ago did you do the CBT?

I think we've all been there mate.

Please feel free to elaborate once you're thinking a bit more clearly.

Are you ok mate?

Thanks for the concern gents. The missus has straightened me out (and banned me from drinking whisky). I've been struggling with the death of a close family member recently and got a bit bevvied, not the best plan as I'm not much of a drinker. The booze magnified some underlying feelings and caused a bit of a meltdown.
Feel a bit embarrassed tbh having seen some of the brave struggles some of my fellow blues are going through on these pages.

Thanks for the concern gents. The missus has straightened me out (and banned me from drinking whisky). I've been struggling with the death of a close family member recently and got a bit bevvied, not the best plan as I'm not much of a drinker. The booze magnified some underlying feelings and caused a bit of a meltdown.
Feel a bit embarrassed tbh having seen some of the brave struggles some of my fellow blues are going through on these pages.
Don't compare your problems with other people, that never works. You just feel worse.

If it's important to you then it's vital you deal with it.

This is one of those times to relax and really understand it's not a contest. We've no ribbons or trophies to win in this forum - this is the place where you can come with whatever you need to share - big or small, one-time or ongoing doesn't matter at all when you feel it - then it's very real and concerning.

The Blues are important to me, and GOT is something I now check most every day. At the same time, this forum on depression is what I check first, for it is far more important than coaching tactics, player negotiations and the latest banner displayed at a match. This forum is another reason I am proud to be a Blue.

Yep, that's a good summary. I "survived" about 8 reorganisations / downturns in the oil industry over 25 years, youngest son was out of oil work for 6 months was pretty tough for him, recently started a new job though. A great industry when times are good, pretty savage when they're not.

Savage indeed, great news about your son though. All you ever seem to read in the local rags is tales of woe, nice to hear something different. ;)

This is one of those times to relax and really understand it's not a contest. We've no ribbons or trophies to win in this forum - this is the place where you can come with whatever you need to share - big or small, one-time or ongoing doesn't matter at all when you feel it - then it's very real and concerning.
Ahh...and I was running second too...rats! :p

Joking aside, this is very true. The contributors & Mods have ensured that your concerns can be shared here as a way of sounding out some initial advice. That first toe that you dip in the water for example. I have had my own issues to work through and just recently wept when reading another persons post. Whilst it can put one's own concerns in perspective, you can only live the one life and your personal issues are the number one priority for you.
The Blues are important to me, and GOT is something I now check most every day. At the same time, this forum on depression is what I check first, for it is far more important than coaching tactics, player negotiations and the latest banner displayed at a match. This forum is another reason I am proud to be a Blue.
And be careful posting on THAT thread!!! :Blink:

Just throw this in here just to type it out.

Taking the baby back into hospital this week for another heart procedure. the first one we hadn't a clue abut a year ago, literally got rushed to Alder Hey from Arrow Park and within 24 hours i was carrying her down to theatre. It saved her life but sadly it hasn't worked properly so we have to take her in again.

to be honest i have mixed feelings at the minute, i'm not as worried as last time because now she is bigger there is less risk, but it is having to take her there again which gets me. Plus the fact i am working all week so it will be work work work work take baby to have a procedure. I am worried and a tad bit scared as well that it won't work again, and it has to go down more serious routes in the future to fix the problem. Its horrible knowing all you can do is hope it works, rather than be able to give them a spoonful of medicine and see them get better.

One positive is that she looks and acts perfectly fine, like there is nothing wrong with her. First time out she should have been sickly and weak, instead she was kicking the doctors and babbling away, so she definitely is a fighter lol But yeah, it isnt nice to go through this as a parent and its akward to explain it to other people, should i sound more worried to them? should i be breaking down? Should i be off with stress or whatever already? Does it look bad i am in work rather than at home? etc

Sounds like i'm rambling and i probably am, jsut a bit odd leading up to it, i know last time it didn't hit me until i was carrying her down to theatre and all the bottled emotion seemed to come out when it all became real. I can envisage it happening again this time.

I went to see the GP about my issues and they suggested CBT and gave me the details of someone called Healthy Minds, I then had to get in touch with them directly and they did an initial assessment over the phone before sticking me on the waiting list.

Going to drop a pile of [Poor language removed] on my crap doctors desk tomorrow, if he doesn't help me I'm moving doctors. I'm terrified of what to say and how to approach this massively unhelpful practise.

Taking the baby back into hospital this week for another heart procedure. the first one we hadn't a clue abut a year ago, literally got rushed to Alder Hey from Arrow Park and within 24 hours i was carrying her down to theatre. It saved her life but sadly it hasn't worked properly so we have to take her in again.

to be honest i have mixed feelings at the minute, i'm not as worried as last time because now she is bigger there is less risk, but it is having to take her there again which gets me. Plus the fact i am working all week so it will be work work work work take baby to have a procedure. I am worried and a tad bit scared as well that it won't work again, and it has to go down more serious routes in the future to fix the problem. Its horrible knowing all you can do is hope it works, rather than be able to give them a spoonful of medicine and see them get better.

One positive is that she looks and acts perfectly fine, like there is nothing wrong with her. First time out she should have been sickly and weak, instead she was kicking the doctors and babbling away, so she definitely is a fighter lol But yeah, it isnt nice to go through this as a parent and its akward to explain it to other people, should i sound more worried to them? should i be breaking down? Should i be off with stress or whatever already? Does it look bad i am in work rather than at home? etc

Sounds like i'm rambling and i probably am, jsut a bit odd leading up to it, i know last time it didn't hit me until i was carrying her down to theatre and all the bottled emotion seemed to come out when it all became real. I can envisage it happening again this time.[/QUOTE]

Hi mate, I do voluntary support work for the charity Scope at Alder Hey, supporting parents who find themselves in circumstances such as you find yourself in at the mo. Everything you have described above is completely normal for you to feel - fear, anxiety, worry and even guilt. My youngest lad is disabled and was very sick for the first 18 mths of his life, spending a lot of time in Alder Hey, so I know where you are coming from.

My advice to you would be to utilise any support from your family and friends that is offered to you, even if it only takes a small load off your shoulders. Also Alder Hey have " Mac House " which is a block of comfortable small rooms for parents to stay in over night, if their child is going to be in for a while . Being able to stay there takes a massive weight off too, as it means one parent can be there all the time without having to worry about getting home etc.

Scope also provides a " befriending " service, to help support parents at home. This is quite simply another parent volunteer who is shoulder to lean on. Each parent volunteer has a child or children with their own problems whatever that may be, so they know what you're going through - they've been there.

My thoughts are with you and you're family mate at this incredibly difficult time for you all x

Last edited:
Going to drop a pile of [Poor language removed] on my crap doctors desk tomorrow, if he doesn't help me I'm moving doctors. I'm terrified of what to say and how to approach this massively unhelpful practise.

Ask to see another GP mate and tell them the truth. I've been in the exact same situation and in the end switched GP's. The new one was brilliant and although he didn't critisise the other one, his body language and what he said told me that he agreed with me. They'll never openly critisise each other, but you'll find that the good ones know all about the bad ones!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back