Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I will second the notions that speaking out about your problems will definitely help. I posted here a long while ago and definitely felt the benefit from the loving members here.

Now I'm not 100% every day but it's an improvement and I might pop into here a little more often to stay on top of things.

I hope everybody is well :)
Great stuff. Always feel comfortable in here everyone ;)

I am currently sectioned and in hospital mainly due to a minor incident alcohol-influenced last year in October. Since being in hospital I have obviously not drank but not even that has led to a discharge. I haven't slept at my home address since October and I haven't been able to use my laptop, meet friends or play fifa or anything I took for granted. I haven't watched a film since October 2015. I am getting more and more depressed and frustrated, it is intolerable. ........ Thanks to GOT for giving me something pleasant to think about and take some pressure off of me.

I am glad to report I was discharged from hospital this Thursday, 5 months without freedom and it was hard. I am so glad I got through that and eager to avoid it in future! Just in time for an Everton cup win, the Euros and the Olympics. A 3 member panel of hospital managers thankfully freed me from the torture I was going through. Thank God.

I am glad to report I was discharged from hospital this Thursday, 5 months without freedom and it was hard. I am so glad I got through that and eager to avoid it in future! Just in time for an Everton cup win, the Euros and the Olympics. A 3 member panel of hospital managers thankfully freed me from the torture I was going through. Thank God.

It's hard to know what to say mate.
All I can think of is, welcome home (y)

Good news mate, delighted for you.

If this thread can help you in any way now you're "free" just fire away - like your plan for the summer, Cup win, Euro's and Olympics - will be a special summer if we get the first for sure.

Is right mate . Hope things are now on the up for you .

Welcome back mate, I'm glad to hear that your situation has changed.

You had a hard time but now you will be stronger because of it.

Having a bad few days of it. Currently taking champix to cut out the smokes and feel like I'm stuck on the channel with no signal. No energy, no motivation and have coursework due in for uni (Part time, also work) this week. Panic sets in and I'm too paralysed to do anything, times passes then the panic increases as that time was wasted - repeat.
Coming off of them is supposed to make you worse for a few days so can't afford to do that.
Trying to break everything into little chunks and get them out of the way but it's slow progress.

There's no simple fix just wanted to let it out and let it go

Having a bad few days of it. Currently taking champix to cut out the smokes and feel like I'm stuck on the channel with no signal. No energy, no motivation and have coursework due in for uni (Part time, also work) this week. Panic sets in and I'm too paralysed to do anything, times passes then the panic increases as that time was wasted - repeat.
Coming off of them is supposed to make you worse for a few days so can't afford to do that.
Trying to break everything into little chunks and get them out of the way but it's slow progress.

There's no simple fix just wanted to let it out and let it go

Everyone I know who has used them to come off fags, has experienced some kind effect mate. The most common being anxiety / attacks. Stick with them, it'll pass. From what I know about them, you have to do the whole course in one go for them to work ?

Everyone I know who has used them to come off fags, has experienced some kind effect mate. The most common being anxiety / attacks. Stick with them, it'll pass. From what I know about them, you have to do the whole course in one go for them to work ?

Same with everyone I know and myself when I took them before. I did the full course last year and quit for the 3 months, came off them and the oil industry started collapsing and everyone losing their jobs. We were all told we'd be scored and then people would be let go. Minute the stress went up (also had exams same month) ran straight to a shop and bought 20.

Someone I know said he lost all decision making ability on them, thank god I've not had that but defo feel like the bunny in the advert next to the Duracell one.

Will persevere but only because I felt like the smokes were killing me

That's the best news I've read in ages. Made up for you mate, I genuinely hope things turn around for you.

No energy, no motivation and have coursework due in for uni (Part time, also work) this week. Panic sets in and I'm too paralysed to do anything, times passes then the panic increases as that time was wasted - repeat.

Hi mate.

Just wanted to say that I know (almost) exactly what this feels like. I have a 15,000 word dissertation & 10,000 word portfolio due on April 29. I'm massively behind because of my own health struggles (I posted on here a few times about it).

Folks on here urged me to talk to someone, so I did. First my GP and then my uni tutor. It was a massive relief to finally tell someone I was struggling, even though it didn't seem like there was much that I could do. My tutor was very understanding and helped me set mini deadlines to help achieve my goals. If you haven't already, try speaking to your course lecturer. They may be able to offer extensions?

One thing that has definitely helped me has been getting out of the house and heading down to the uni library to work. Can't get anything done in the house because I settle in to that depressing yet oddly comfortable headspace. I can work for hours in the library though. Perhaps this could be of some help to you?

Hope you can sort something out and start to feel better soon!

(P.s. Congrats on trying to give up fags. It'll be tough but totally worth it.)

Hi mate.

Just wanted to say that I know (almost) exactly what this feels like. I have a 15,000 word dissertation & 10,000 word portfolio due on April 29. I'm massively behind because of my own health struggles (I posted on here a few times about it).

Folks on here urged me to talk to someone, so I did. First my GP and then my uni tutor. It was a massive relief to finally tell someone I was struggling, even though it didn't seem like there was much that I could do. My tutor was very understanding and helped me set mini deadlines to help achieve my goals. If you haven't already, try speaking to your course lecturer. They may be able to offer extensions?

One thing that has definitely helped me has been getting out of the house and heading down to the uni library to work. Can't get anything done in the house because I settle in to that depressing yet oddly comfortable headspace. I can work for hours in the library though. Perhaps this could be of some help to you?

Cheers mate

Don't envy you with that! So good luck and hope you manage to get through everything.
Quite difficult because I'm doing this distance learning around work. Think one of the local uni libraries lets other students in so I might try that idea. I'm easy distracted at the best of times so that could be a big help, thanks.
Just that feeling that your out of sync with the clock that makes it hard to get through it, but I will.

Felt terrible when I was smoking and was all too easy to lean on them or drinking if things weren't going well. Getting off of them has made me drink less and get more exercise so it's good times bad times at the moment. Hopefully once I'm off the tablets in a month or so things will be looking up!

Hi mate.

Meant to say, about deadlines etc. The tutors are pretty good at moving things around for us if needed but tend to be a bit less inclined to do so at the business end of the year, which this is. I'll have the exam in 6 weeks and have plenty coursework on top of the current load to do for then. The exam is fixed so little benefit in pushing this weeks problem into nexts, however if it was earlier in the year I would have gone down that route.

Don't envy you with that! So good luck and hope you manage to get through everything.
Quite difficult because I'm doing this distance learning around work.

It sounds like you are doing pretty well given the circumstances, Aberdeen's a pretty tough environment work wise at the moment, it's great that you are managing your course around work. Good luck with things.

It sounds like you are doing pretty well given the circumstances, Aberdeen's a pretty tough environment work wise at the moment, it's great that you are managing your course around work. Good luck with things.

Thanks, appreciate that ;)

It's not good up here but I have been pretty fortunate so far in being able to keep my job, seen a lot of very talented people discarded. Don't get me wrong there were some people that milked the industry for everything it was worth for many years but the people I worked with were just regular guys on a salary living month to month.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back