Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

"Groundhog day effect" is a great way to describe it.

@BiggyRat gave some good advice to break up the monotony but I can see where you are coming from.

I've always found reading to be incredibly soothing. I love reading, especially fantasy novels where it offers a complete, immersive escape for a few hours. Getting lost in a good book often give me something to look forward to when I wake up, knowing that there is still an adventure happening that I can be a part of (bit sad, right? haha). You may not enjoy reading but there will be something out there that can give you something to break that "groundhog day effect", even if it's just reading a chapter every morning, or the new Game of Thrones episode etc.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Fantastic advice there mate. I find reading very calming too, as if you're enjoying it you aren't thinking about all those things that are worrying you. I also find a good box set has the same effect, even if the content is a big tasty !

Do other people find it hard to tell friends and family that they are struggling? The past few weeks have been the worse I can remember and I have no idea why iv started to feel down again. I think that's what does my head in the most that I can't pin point why I actually feel like I do.

Just the feeling of being not good enough is overwhelming. Feeling of letting people down and not going any where in my life is getting worse and I don't know how to change. Same as last year also where I have stopped enjoying the stuff I like doing.

Do other people find it hard to tell friends and family that they are struggling? The past few weeks have been the worse I can remember and I have no idea why iv started to feel down again. I think that's what does my head in the most that I can't pin point why I actually feel like I do.

Just the feeling of being not good enough is overwhelming. Feeling of letting people down and not going any where in my life is getting worse and I don't know how to change. Same as last year also where I have stopped enjoying the stuff I like doing.

Yeah mate, I think most people struggle to open up to friends and family, myself included. It's difficult to wrap your head round why you feel the way you do, it's part of the condition. People feel even worse because they can't see why they feel the way they do. It sometimes takes an outside perspective to point out the things we ourselves cannot see. This can be friends or family, for a lot of people it's a GP or counsellor.

Just know there can be very real reasons for they way you feel, but you just might not be able to see them. That means you can't see the solutions either, but believe me, there are ways to help yourself.

Talk to someone mate. Either on here or book a GP appointment. You don't need to keep it to yourself.

Hi mate, it's one of the most common and also the most difficult things to do. Everyone who has been ill has experienced this and there's no right way or wrong way to go about it.

The way I " came out " intially was to my closest friends and it turned out they'd already guessed anyway, but didn't know what to say to me . When I told my parents, they kind of dismissed it and went into self denial mode. It didn't matter, as I'd told them and that was enough for me.

If you're not ready to get it out in the open, have a look at the - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM. It's NHS run and there's a thread on there that deals with this subject very well.

Look at this way mate, getting it out in the open is the first big steps to getting better .

Hope this is of some help ?

@broughy - this is tough - there are so many expectations that we put on ourselves - things that we think that others expect of us, when, really, the people that are truly important to us just want us to be happy & healthy. Telling someone you are struggling is hard - but when you finally do, the relief you provide to yourself can be just marvelous. Trying to keep up appearances can make you feel even worse. I know the feeling. "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" is the old saying......

@broughy - this is tough - there are so many expectations that we put on ourselves - things that we think that others expect of us, when, really, the people that are truly important to us just want us to be happy & healthy. Telling someone you are struggling is hard - but when you finally do, the relief you provide to yourself can be just marvelous. Trying to keep up appearances can make you feel even worse. I know the feeling. "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt" is the old saying......

Spot on, the stress and anxiety of pretending that everything is ok and putting on your " happy mask " when you step out of the door just adds to how miserable your feeling.

Why not try doing it one person at a time - start of with the person who you trust the most in the world, whoever that may be. I know it's easy for me to say, but as @MrPerfectNot says above, you will feel like an incredible weight has been lifted off your shoulders when you " come out ".

By coming on here you've taken a really big step to actually doing it mate, you're nearly there, stay strong ;)

I sometimes find it hard to talk to friends and family mate, i feel as if after 20 years of putting up withmy issues, their getting fed up of it now. Are you doing anything as far as help at the moment pal?

Hi all
I have been missing for a while as about 9 weeks ago I got the shock news I was being made redundant, if honest it shook me to the core. I couldn't believe the effect it had on me, and if honest I felt worthless and totally useless. I was getting interviews in the a Company I worked for, but never seemed to be successful.
On the day I was leaving I finally got a call offering me a role I just wasn't expecting to get, to say I was relieved is a massive understatement.

I applaud people who come on here and open up, as it is something I always promote. Sadly when it came to me I just closed up and switched off.....
One thing it proved to me and that is how fragile I was, but it also proved that i shouldn't take things for granted and I should appreciate everything I have...

Hi all
I have been missing for a while as about 9 weeks ago I got the shock news I was being made redundant, if honest it shook me to the core. I couldn't believe the effect it had on me, and if honest I felt worthless and totally useless. I was getting interviews in the a Company I worked for, but never seemed to be successful.
On the day I was leaving I finally got a call offering me a role I just wasn't expecting to get, to say I was relieved is a massive understatement.

I applaud people who come on here and open up, as it is something I always promote. Sadly when it came to me I just closed up and switched off.....
One thing it proved to me and that is how fragile I was, but it also proved that i shouldn't take things for granted and I should appreciate everything I have...
Great to hear from you, that things are working out now.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back