Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Cheers buddy. It's been like tunnel vision really. Had that thought of wanting to help others the day after my break down. Just want to get on with it now- although for some reason I'm bricking it! Why I'm posting so much rubbish on the forum tonight I think! :p
I went to see a councillor with anxiety. She had been through a rough time with anxiety/depression herself and I think it really helped her relate to what I was going through. Good luck and well done.

Just had my second trip to the uni counsellor today. Managing to get an hour meeting every 2 weeks, so probably way better than anything the NHS can offer.

Great to talk about the way you are feeling (or aren't feeling) and voice some concerns that you can't tell anyone else. Getting trapped in your own head is a nightmare, thinking about why things are or aren't happening and the reasons for your ill health. A counsellor just soaks it all up and offers a fresh perspective.

The only downside is the lack of real power to do anything. There's no official diagnosis, no medication help and no connection to the NHS and the GP.

Just had my second trip to the uni counsellor today. Managing to get an hour meeting every 2 weeks, so probably way better than anything the NHS can offer.

Great to talk about the way you are feeling (or aren't feeling) and voice some concerns that you can't tell anyone else. Getting trapped in your own head is a nightmare, thinking about why things are or aren't happening and the reasons for your ill health. A counsellor just soaks it all up and offers a fresh perspective.

The only downside is the lack of real power to do anything. There's no official diagnosis, no medication help and no connection to the NHS and the GP.

Hiya mate. Well done for your second visit! You're right (for my neck of the woods anyway) an hour a fortnight is good. I remember when I had my first batch of counselling, it did take a weight off the mind, even though it wasn't comprehensive therapy or anything. Do you do CBT or just general support/ troubleshooting?

I've missed your story so apologies for asking, but what's the reason for you not going to the NHS? Is it the waiting times etc? Either way, if you feel the support you're getting at the moment is helping reduce the load, then I'd say go with the flow. Until/ if it presents a greater issue and you start to struggle more with every day tasks, I'd strongly suggest speaking to a doctor you feel comfortable with. It may be that the counsellor in Uni could refer you? Not sure on that though.

Once you've got the first step of the GP done with, if you feel meds may help that's an avenue, and it'll also open up the doors to secondary care. Nothing to be afraid of- but could give you an extra hour or two a week of therapy to help complement the support you're getting already in Uni? Best of luck to you whatever you do and hope you're recovery keeps going well! Feel free to PM if you want too!

Hiya mate. Well done for your second visit! You're right (for my neck of the woods anyway) an hour a fortnight is good. I remember when I had my first batch of counselling, it did take a weight off the mind, even though it wasn't comprehensive therapy or anything. Do you do CBT or just general support/ troubleshooting?

I've missed your story so apologies for asking, but what's the reason for you not going to the NHS? Is it the waiting times etc? Either way, if you feel the support you're getting at the moment is helping reduce the load, then I'd say go with the flow. Until/ if it presents a greater issue and you start to struggle more with every day tasks, I'd strongly suggest speaking to a doctor you feel comfortable with. It may be that the counsellor in Uni could refer you? Not sure on that though.

Once you've got the first step of the GP done with, if you feel meds may help that's an avenue, and it'll also open up the doors to secondary care. Nothing to be afraid of- but could give you an extra hour or two a week of therapy to help complement the support you're getting already in Uni? Best of luck to you whatever you do and hope you're recovery keeps going well! Feel free to PM if you want too!

I went to my GP, had a conversation and she referred my (via letter) to the local psychology unit (NHS operated). They rejected my referral and instead gave me access to an online CBT course called Beating the Blues (or something similar). Quite frankly I find it useless and have went about getting help by myself (hence the uni counsellor).

Hesitant to get meds because of the way they affected a close family member. Well that and I don't think I really need them if I'm being honest.
Would rather use meds as a final option if nothing else works.

Set up a schedule that helps with uni workload and allows time for a rigorous exercise workout 3 times a week. It's helping me cope and I'll see where I'm at once uni is finished at the end of the month.

Thanks for the support!

I went to my GP, had a conversation and she referred my (via letter) to the local psychology unit (NHS operated). They rejected my referral and instead gave me access to an online CBT course called Beating the Blues (or something similar). Quite frankly I find it useless and have went about getting help by myself (hence the uni counsellor).

Hesitant to get meds because of the way they affected a close family member. Well that and I don't think I really need them if I'm being honest.
Would rather use meds as a final option if nothing else works.

Set up a schedule that helps with uni workload and allows time for a rigorous exercise workout 3 times a week. It's helping me cope and I'll see where I'm at once uni is finished at the end of the month.

Thanks for the support!

Glad to hear it mate ;) Rigorous exercise helps no end. Not that I should know mind being 17 odd stone, haha. Good luck with it. It sounds like your GP maybe didn't give the unit a great referral. I don't know though. Just try and get a good diagnosis, and if it is hindering your day to day life there's no reason why they shouldn't accept a referral, at least without a face to face meeting. Persistence in going back to the doctor is really tough though and you shouldn't be in the position to beg for that diagnosis. Poor that, I'm very glad you've at least got an alternative.

As you say, you're coping and that's key, along with recognising, or having someone else to recognise, the symptoms. More power to you on the meds. They're not all the same, but if you can get by without them, then that's brill. Take care!

Glad to hear it mate ;) Rigorous exercise helps no end. Not that I should know mind being 17 odd stone, haha. Good luck with it. It sounds like your GP maybe didn't give the unit a great referral. I don't know though. Just try and get a good diagnosis, and if it is hindering your day to day life there's no reason why they shouldn't accept a referral, at least without a face to face meeting. Persistence in going back to the doctor is really tough though and you shouldn't be in the position to beg for that diagnosis. Poor that, I'm very glad you've at least got an alternative.

As you say, you're coping and that's key, along with recognising, or having someone else to recognise, the symptoms. More power to you on the meds. They're not all the same, but if you can get by without them, then that's brill. Take care!

Cheers bud. Going to go back to the GP after the online CBT course ends to tell her it was crap. Taking all the sessions though so she can't say I didn't give it a fair go.

Have had a few psychiatry sessions myself over the years with depression and mainly due to my health issues over the years. Have had lots of surgeries since birth, am 34 now and live at home in wistaston, Crewe ATM and doing ok, but on anti-depressants and use my time attending appointments at the surgery, hospital and having blood tests too! Have lots of conditions, but I must say watching football changes that, whatever the results, I can vent my like/dislikes on here and have a good day out in Liverpool or away if I can attend and get a ticket. Always helps me cope being part of something bigger than me! Thanks all.

Whats this uni counciller mate/ are you at uni ( sorry if you have already said )

Would like to speak to someone - no idea who to ask?

Whats this uni counciller mate/ are you at uni ( sorry if you have already said )

Would like to speak to someone - no idea who to ask?

Yeah it's a counsellor that works in an office at university. Services are free but there's a waiting list for appointments.

I don't think it's actually the university that employs her, more like an independent student help organisation but she works at my uni.

I think most uni's/colleges offer support to students in some capacity.

Someone on this forum suggested I check it out. Are you in a similar student situation?

This has dragged me out of a hole or two recently.

I've been listening to a similar album on spotify 'fearless motivation - today is the day' really helped to lift some gloom and subsequently got into spin classes a few times a week. Not thinking about anything but doing what's being shouted at me and focussing on breathing a few times a week has fairly opened the sky up.

Cheers bud. Going to go back to the GP after the online CBT course ends to tell her it was crap. Taking all the sessions though so she can't say I didn't give it a fair go.

Only my opinion mate, but that counselling on the phone thing is a box ticking excercise and your GP will know that too.
The reason you got knocked back on the referral was down to them having to prioritise how they spend their scant resources.

As @EvertonRhys says, go back to your GP and tell him / her that the phone referral stuff isn't for you and ask what else is available . If you don't like what they have to say, ask to see another GP - all of them have different opinions on almost everything medical !

Keep going mate, it's hard, but you'll get there in the end.

Sorry for the delayed response guys. I went a couple of weeks ago to a counsellor and I got on well with her and was pleasantly surprised as she seemed to understand how everything was feeling inside my head. She was sympathising with the turmoil I must be feeling etc and it was nice to hear instead of "oh you'll be fine". It was a positive meeting as she said that everything I am feeling is fixable with some hard work and that there is nothing wrong with me. A lot of what came up seemed to be other people having issues with things and me getting worked up about it. I suppose it's about changing the way I think and I have been trying to tell myself "it's their issue, not yours" since the meeting. But it is hard. I have another meeting with her tomorrow which I am nervous about again. :(

Feeling very stressed out at the moment with this whole going on holiday with his family thing. Everything is all planned and it feels all pressurised and like I'll have to three weeks following them around. It's hard to explain what they're like. Let's just say my boyfriend, although he loves them dearly and they're generally nice people, is made up to be living over here on the wirral, away from them. For his whole like he's felt judged and under pressure by them and now I realise what it must be like in his head! Over the past six months, I have gone downhill and I'm now attributing it to them and these two holidays I've had to go on with them. I will never go on holiday with them again! I don't want to be with these people. They're not my kind of people! They're very sociable and pretentious and happy happy happy... And competitive and opinionated... and I just feel on edge all the time! I don't feel like I'm making any sense. I'm just in a low place. I can't wait to return from holiday! Sounds awful. It will probably be fine, but I'd just rather not go, with them.

Sorry for the delayed response guys. I went a couple of weeks ago to a counsellor and I got on well with her and was pleasantly surprised as she seemed to understand how everything was feeling inside my head. She was sympathising with the turmoil I must be feeling etc and it was nice to hear instead of "oh you'll be fine". It was a positive meeting as she said that everything I am feeling is fixable with some hard work and that there is nothing wrong with me. A lot of what came up seemed to be other people having issues with things and me getting worked up about it. I suppose it's about changing the way I think and I have been trying to tell myself "it's their issue, not yours" since the meeting. But it is hard. I have another meeting with her tomorrow which I am nervous about again. :(

Feeling very stressed out at the moment with this whole going on holiday with his family thing. Everything is all planned and it feels all pressurised and like I'll have to three weeks following them around. It's hard to explain what they're like. Let's just say my boyfriend, although he loves them dearly and they're generally nice people, is made up to be living over here on the wirral, away from them. For his whole like he's felt judged and under pressure by them and now I realise what it must be like in his head! Over the past six months, I have gone downhill and I'm now attributing it to them and these two holidays I've had to go on with them. I will never go on holiday with them again! I don't want to be with these people. They're not my kind of people! They're very sociable and pretentious and happy happy happy... And competitive and opinionated... and I just feel on edge all the time! I don't feel like I'm making any sense. I'm just in a low place. I can't wait to return from holiday! Sounds awful. It will probably be fine, but I'd just rather not go, with them.
Great to read from you. Call me crazy but get away from them. No family responsibility is worth making you feel this way.
Don't be a stranger over on Facebook now!

Great to read from you. Call me crazy but get away from them. No family responsibility is worth making you feel this way.
Don't be a stranger over on Facebook now!

I can't avoid this holiday, but after it I will be avoiding them as much as I possibly can ha ha. I can just about cope with a few hours, but I even dread that and get all snappy and moody beforehand. The December holiday we went on was bearable just because we mainly did our own thing... This is different. I can cope though, I am sure. I fear that I sound ridiculous as they've not done anything awful. It's just all underhand though and I can see right through it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back