Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

It's tough when kids are involved, but they're not stupid, and will probably know all is not right.

I went through a similar situation to where you are now nigh on twenty years ago, and spent two or three years trying to fix something which was obviously broken. All you can do is try.

For many people, just getting to that point makes both sides realise they have more to lose by splitting up than they have to gain, and they manage to turn it round, but equally, if staying in a relationship is making everyone miserable, then there does come a point where it's better to call it a day.

All I can really say is that, if it comes to it, then there is life after a long-term relationship breaks up, and, despite financial hardships, it may well be a better life. Before you get to that point, I would recommend something like www.relate.org.uk though. Sometimes having everything out in front of a stranger, warts and all, can make people realise that they are closer than what they want to admit. I've seen mates go to relate in absolute turmoil and come out of it stronger.

Basically this means I'm on the fence :oops:
Good advice there mate.

So, do you believe your as "fixed" as your going to get? Or are you still looking for other possible remedies?

I don't believe I'll ever be. " fixed " now. I think the root cause of it (horrendous and sustained pressure in work ) went on too long and that's when the permanent damage was done.

I'm going to have a look at acupuncture and see if that could help at all. I've looked at hypnotherapy, which seems to have potential, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot if info out there about it really .

This is what i mean though mate, its trial and error like you say, they suggest taking anti-Ds for 6 weeks at least before you decide if theyre right for you, then, if you feel theyre not working, thet suggest a 6 week gap before you try some different ones, thats 12 weeks just to find out they dont work, you know as well as i do, 12 weeks is a lifetime when your struggling, then if the next ones dont work thats 24 weeks,half a year wasted looking for a solution and no better for it. Sorry to appear negative, im sure some people do find help in meds its just i havent and was just looking for someone elses opinion on the likelyhood of the possibility.And yes, im finding therapy really helpful thanks, only been 3 times but definitely feeling better. By the way, has anyone heard from the girl who was posting the other day who was due to see a therapist for the first time?

Whilst I agree that anti-Ds are not necessarily for everyone and everyone needs to get proper medical advice on their individual situation.

I during a very dark time was taking Prozac (plus CBT which took 6-9 months just for an initial appointment).

I had good results with it prozac. I was clincally depressed and had been for around 12 months for specific reasons I won't go into. Having experienced serious depression (I still get mild - relatively- depression now but I can handle that. Previously it was overwhelming and negatively impacting life significantly.)

I would defend the right of anyone who medically needs anti-D to get them if proscribed by a doctor.

They help many people who genuinely need them. People who are suicidal. Or who have been put in a position not of their making.

I would also add that the second time I took Prozac it was like someone literally gave your head a shake! For the first week you are more emotional. But after that I found that gradually the emotions were put in check.

This is valuable breathing space for someone clinically depressed. So they can look at making changes in their life or therapy eg CBT.

People do take then unnecessarily however. I can certainly imagine.

Just I would say that any negative image of anti-D's should be off set by reality of people they've helped. Like me.

I would say you certainly need to go to therapy more than 3 times. But understand. Anti depressants are an individual thing aren't 100% certain. Just keep trying to find what helps you with your doctor.

Personally I believe that you everyone can find an anti D that's right for them, it's just a question of trial and error to a point and also having a good GP that keeps on going with you until the right one is found. Its great that therapy worked for, as it means not having to take meds !. I think it's horses for courses with therapy mate, as it doesn't work for some - me being one. The real scandal is that mental health treatment continues to be a lottery for many dependant on where you live.
This is what i mean though mate, its trial and error like you say, they suggest taking anti-Ds for 6 weeks at least before you decide if theyre right for you, then, if you feel theyre not working, thet suggest a 6 week gap before you try some different ones, thats 12 weeks just to find out they dont work, you know as well as i do, 12 weeks is a lifetime when your struggling, then if the next ones dont work thats 24 weeks,half a year wasted looking for a solution and no better for it. Sorry to appear negative, im sure some people do find help in meds its just i havent and was just looking for someone elses opinion on the likelyhood of the possibility.And yes, im finding therapy really helpful thanks, only been 3 times but definitely feeling better. By the way, has anyone heard from the girl who was posting the other day who was due to see a therapist for the first time?

Whilst I agree that anti-Ds are not necessarily for everyone and everyone needs to get proper medical advice on their individual situation.

I during a very dark time was taking Prozac (plus CBT which took 6-9 months just for an initial appointment).

I had good results with it prozac. I was clincally depressed and had been for around 12 months for specific reasons I won't go into. Having experienced serious depression (I still get mild - relatively- depression now but I can handle that. Previously it was overwhelming and negatively impacting life significantly.)

I would defend the right of anyone who medically needs anti-D to get them if proscribed by a doctor.

They help many people who genuinely need them. People who are suicidal. Or who have been put in a position not of their making.

I would also add that the second time I took Prozac it was like someone literally gave your head a shake! For the first week you are more emotional. But after that I found that gradually the emotions were put in check.

This is valuable breathing space for someone clinically depressed. So they can look at making changes in their life or therapy eg CBT.

People do take then unnecessarily however. I can certainly imagine.

Just I would say that any negative image of anti-D's should be off set by reality of people they've helped. Like me.

I would say you certainly need to go to therapy more than 3 times. But understand. Anti depressants are an individual thing aren't 100% certain. Just keep trying to find what helps you with your doctor.
In a nutshell folks, different treatments will suit different people.

Some will not need medication, some people will respond well to meds. Others will find counselling is the way to go.

Some people find a combination of the two to be right for them.

Everyone's different and so is their course of treatment.

Well in mate, it's a tremendous achievement that you can turn your own personal struggles into something positive and help others too.

Cheers buddy. It's been like tunnel vision really. Had that thought of wanting to help others the day after my break down. Just want to get on with it now- although for some reason I'm bricking it! Why I'm posting so much rubbish on the forum tonight I think! :p

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back