Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I think that is an important aspect in having someone/somewhere you can turn to when things are low.
Definitely.

If I can get this under control then I'd have a pretty good life.

What struck me when I went there was how many men were in the waiting room, of all ages too.

Perhaps a sign that the stigma of mental health and having to be a man's man at all times is slowly fading.

Definitely.

If I can get this under control then I'd have a pretty good life.

What struck me when I went there was how many men were in the waiting room, of all ages too.

Perhaps a sign that the stigma of mental health and having to be a man's man at all times is slowly fading.
I have felt that for a long time mens health and in particular mental health had been put on the back burner,maybe because of the masculine stereotypical stiff upper lip attitude,a lot of the issues I have now are down to and old fashioned doctor,I do think that with more people now openly admitting to having problems treatment is becoming more accessable

Not in a good place today. Woe is me mode, I knew there would be days like this but I still can't get myself out of it. Just fed up of waiting for appointments, letters, anything to happen. The pain and lethargy has been getting me down a bit as well, and of course the wife. She has been in full meltdown mode convinced she's gonna struggle when i'm gone, lose the house end up on the streets etc, which then makes me feel guilty.
Moaning over just needed to get it out.

Not in a good place today. Woe is me mode, I knew there would be days like this but I still can't get myself out of it. Just fed up of waiting for appointments, letters, anything to happen. The pain and lethargy has been getting me down a bit as well, and of course the wife. She has been in full meltdown mode convinced she's gonna struggle when i'm gone, lose the house end up on the streets etc, which then makes me feel guilty.
You'll have days like that mate, that's natural and you are being realistic enough to know that anyway.

Rather than avoid the issue, perhaps meet the issue with her fears 'head on'?

The last thing she'll want to think later, is 'I spent his last days worrying and didn't enjoy him'. I apologise if you've already tried this.

Dont know your financial postion matey,insurance pensions and such like maybe sit with the missus and go through them with her?

A friend of my Sister recently passed due to Cancer. He was a bit of a control freak, to the point that his wife didn't know the passwords to their joint bank account or home PC. Right to the end he just refused to reveal such things (it was more than just passwords) and has left her in an incredibly difficult position. Their kids went off the rails a long time ago, daughter stealing money for her Ice habit, etc.
Jen has been slowly rebuilding her life & returning to an independence that she hasn't had for years. It's an adjustment, but she's getting there.
I don't know if you can draw much from this story, but your post made me think of her immediately. You don't sound like the sort of chap that would leave her in a situation like Jen so aside from natural grief, I think (from the outside) she'll be fine eventually.

A friend of my Sister recently passed due to Cancer. He was a bit of a control freak, to the point that his wife didn't know the passwords to their joint bank account or home PC. Right to the end he just refused to reveal such things (it was more than just passwords) and has left her in an incredibly difficult position. Their kids went off the rails a long time ago, daughter stealing money for her Ice habit, etc.
Jen has been slowly rebuilding her life & returning to an independence that she hasn't had for years. It's an adjustment, but she's getting there.
I don't know if you can draw much from this story, but your post made me think of her immediately. You don't sound like the sort of chap that would leave her in a situation like Jen so aside from natural grief, I think (from the outside) she'll be fine eventually.
My wife is a natural worrier always looking at worse case scenarios. Financially we are ok she has access to everything and the kids know my passwords lol. It's just her way of dealing with what's going on but it drains me at times because I just have to listen and let her get it all out.

Had an appointment with the occupational physician today. He prescribed Fluoxetine for my recurring anxiety attacks. Haven't picked up the medicine yet though. I'm trying not to make a big thing out of it, the medication. Thinking it can hopefully have a positive effect, help me steer in a new direction in combination with the CBT programme I've started following. But if anyone would share some personal insights into taking up SSRI's for anxiety disorders that would be helpful. So I can form a better perception of what to expect. Positive/negative effects. (I'm sure the info I'm after is readily available from reading back in this thread, but still... appreciated.)

As others have said mate, *possible* negatives:

- There is about a 2 week wait to see any changes, which in itself can be a source of anxiety.
- Then also depending on the the person it may kind of make you feel a bit more anxious when it first kicks in (I took citalopram for depression/anxiety).
- You then may find you need the dosage altered slightly/want to try a different medication.

Positive:

- When they start working for you it will afford you the head-space to understand what some of these sources of anxiety might be
- ...and to just get on with everyday life largely unhindered.
- So you won't be afraid of subjecting yourself to experiences and situations that seem destined to bring on an attack*

*exception - spending too much time in the 'new manager' thread...

Just try your best to relax about the fact you're taking it, in the knowledge that you're already on the journey to tackling the issue and know that you'll get something tailored to your needs very soon. Great that you've got CBT alongside that, how's that working for you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm presently having this nagging feeling.
I know it's the depression element.

Battling through it.

Which is odd because generally things are going like a bat out of hell.

Had an appointment with the occupational physician today. He prescribed Fluoxetine for my recurring anxiety attacks. Haven't picked up the medicine yet though. I'm trying not to make a big thing out of it, the medication. Thinking it can hopefully have a positive effect, help me steer in a new direction in combination with the CBT programme I've started following. But if anyone would share some personal insights into taking up SSRI's for anxiety disorders that would be helpful. So I can form a better perception of what to expect. Positive/negative effects. (I'm sure the info I'm after is readily available from reading back in this thread, but still... appreciated.)

You'll find it starts working after three odd weeks.

Note your sleeping patterns will improve. However anxiety will not go entirely. Puts your up and down emotions 'in a box'. Helps put you more on even keel.

I still have issues on crowded places I don't know. My anxiety was ptsd related.

I'm presently having this nagging feeling.
I know it's the depression element.

Battling through it.

Which is odd because generally things are going like a bat out of hell.

You'll find it starts working after three odd weeks.

Note your sleeping patterns will improve. However anxiety will not go entirely.

I still have issues on crowded places I don't know. My anxiety was ptsd related.
Nagging feeling mate? Like you are expecting something to happen? Anticipation anxiety?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back