Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Very interesting article from Jason McAteer (I know.....) about his battle with depression and his near suicide followed by his recovery:

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/jason-mcateer/88836

Having read it, I think there's a recurring theme, in that when men in particular lose their jobs or retire they become extremely vulnerable to mental health issues, due to losing their self worth and identity. Plus having a lot of time on their hands that they don't know how to fill. I'd wager the divorce rate for men who retire or lose their jobs rockets.

Surely the common sense thing to do, would be to have a system of support in place for men who retire of lose their jobs ?.

As much as I don't like McAteer, it's a brave article and very candid, which can only help to highlight that status and wealth make no difference when it comes to mental health issues.

It's Zack buddy he's pretty much the same just trying to make him feel comfortable. How are you doing mate?
bet zack is as comfortable as he can be in your caring hands.
i'm not too bad thank you, just getting thru day by day like everyone else. went shopping today In the wheelchair for the first time, wasn't too bad. at least we didn't argue lol, just need to learn how to let Teresa know when I want to stop, go turn etc. we didn't knock anything or anyone over, so mission accomplished. please keep us updated with zack and of course yourself, hard time for you and we are here to offer a shoulder.

bet zack is as comfortable as he can be in your caring hands.
i'm not too bad thank you, just getting thru day by day like everyone else. went shopping today In the wheelchair for the first time, wasn't too bad. at least we didn't argue lol, just need to learn how to let Teresa know when I want to stop, go turn etc. we didn't knock anything or anyone over, so mission accomplished. please keep us updated with zack and of course yourself, hard time for you and we are here to offer a shoulder.

He is mate. That's good you've got out and about and didn't knock anyone over ( tho I would and say oh sorry didn't see you there ;) ). I will do and Thankyou and likewise mate.

My uncle died this morning. Feeling dead sad.

I've vented my grief to the other mods and they've been ace.

I know sadness and depression are miles apart, but this felt like the best place to post a message.

I missed that Grouch.

Uncle/Nephew relationships can be brilliant. Yours obviously was one of those. Thoughts and prayers from the Roydo household tonight. For both of you and your wider family.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back