Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Never posted in here before but i have my first counselling appointment tomorrow. 45 minutes and face to face not via phone. Basically been 'diagnosed' with severe symptoms of anxiety, moderate symptoms of depression and moderately severe levels of psychological distress (which surprised and shocked me). Been taking 50mg of sertralin for the last few months. Probably been feeling like this for ten plus years but been in denial about any kind of issue.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what i should expect tomorrow and just help me alleviate worries i'm having about it.

Sorry if this has all been gone through before. Thanks in advance.

...what your feeling is natural and the start of the healing process you have to go through. You won't be feeling any positives at the moment but long-term relationships have to be a two way thing and if it's not right for one then I'm afraid what has happened is for the best. It's not your fault, it's human nature. As has been advised, you've not done anything wrong so get back on with your life, stay busy and be yourself. Good luck.

@Deulofeumygod @oliverwri
You both should take credit for opening up on here. Well done and be proud of yourselves. This is the first step. Ive read lots of posts on here and there is a lot of help. One of the best things I did was get off facebook, hated seeing other people 'suposedly' being happy. So hard to do but it certainly helped.

Great advice there about Facebook.

Even if you don't want to, you end up through " friends " finding out what you're ex has been up to.

Bin it off and spend more time on here ;)

So after a night of worrying, my appointment has been moved to thursday.

Thanks for everyone's words and advice so far. Really appreciate it.
It'll be really good - I was fascinated by how the brain can be rewired by therapies and talking to someone.

Really points to how your thought process is off and the change after a few sessions is great. Obviously to maintain these new 'habits' in dealing with stuff takes a while to bed in but you definitely will notice pretty much quickly.

Hope it goes well!

Even if you don't want to, you end up through " friends " finding out what you're ex has been up to.

Its not just about your ex matey, when your are alone and looking how everybody is having a great time it hurts. Christmas is tough. I tried to please my kids-they are all 20plus- on Christmas day, come and see me for ten mins then back to their Mums who always held the upper hand. One year I said 'f@@k it' and went to help the homeless and elderley at the local Salvation Army, one of the best decisions I ever made. I even get respect from my kids for doing it. Now they work round me on xmas day.

have gotten too many responses to go through each one personally but just wanted to say a genuine thank you to everyone that came in and replied to my post yesterday, it really meant a lot to see all of the good wishes. finally got out of bed last night and went to the gym like a few people recommended and it helped release some of what's been building up, will try to do that more often. like i said i've never been the type to take that leap to open up about these sorts of things but seeing all of the advice and positivity has helped make it easier. it's going to take awhile for me but having a light at the end of the tunnel is encouraging.

have gotten too many responses to go through each one personally but just wanted to say a genuine thank you to everyone that came in and replied to my post yesterday, it really meant a lot to see all of the good wishes. finally got out of bed last night and went to the gym like a few people recommended and it helped release some of what's been building up, will try to do that more often. like i said i've never been the type to take that leap to open up about these sorts of things but seeing all of the advice and positivity has helped make it easier. it's going to take awhile for me but having a light at the end of the tunnel is encouraging.

Please keep posting mate.

We're all in this together x

As I said earlier you have done the hard bit opening up on here. Plenty of help on here.

Never posted in here before but i have my first counselling appointment tomorrow. 45 minutes and face to face not via phone. Basically been 'diagnosed' with severe symptoms of anxiety, moderate symptoms of depression and moderately severe levels of psychological distress (which surprised and shocked me). Been taking 50mg of sertralin for the last few months. Probably been feeling like this for ten plus years but been in denial about any kind of issue.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what i should expect tomorrow and just help me alleviate worries i'm having about it.

Sorry if this has all been gone through before. Thanks in advance.

Hi mate.

I recently started councilling after struggling with anxiety most of my life. It started to get out of hand recently so it was time to try and tackle it at last. I was very nervous before my first session but I'm really glad I'm doing it.

My councillor has pointed out how much of my thought process is distorted and she is helping make new 'pathways' in my brain. I've had 3 sessions so far and I'm starting to notice a difference. It is hard work but it's worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

About Facebook. It really is best left alone in my opinion. You are basically seeing the highlight reel of everyone else's life and it's bound to make you feel low after a while. I don't have any links but I'm sure there are studies that show that people's overall happiness improves after reducing time spent on Facebook.

About Facebook. It really is best left alone in my opinion. You are basically seeing the highlight reel of everyone else's life and it's bound to make you feel low after a while. I don't have any links but I'm sure there are studies that show that people's overall happiness improves after reducing time spent on Facebook.

Spot on.

Virtually every episode of Jermy Kyle involves Facebook, that alone should be proof to swerve it !

Today's been a strange day, I've been bouncing off the walls happy for no particular reason, almost like anything negative just bounces off me. Maybe it's just my confidence has sub-consciously risen as a result of landing the new job and getting lots of compliments about it. Hopefully this feeling last and I don't end up dropping way, way down again..

Could really use this feeling tomorrow night when I finally try to ask a crush out, it's great when you feel you're at your very best.

I came off Facebook about 18 months ago and can honestly say my life is better without it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back