Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I type it out in notes on my iphone and just try and read from them, bad days, good days just tell him you're here to talk and would it be ok for ' me to talk for a minute'.

I do find its very difficult to find a GP who is willing to
1. Listen
2. Act

If you explain that your are happy to just chat, they are usually a little more receptive. I know first hand what going the GP is like, i've spent half my life inside the NHS and whilst no disrespect to 90% of GP the rolex wearing private practises just want to churn you in and out with a prescription and a pat on the head, mental health needs care and attention, not a nod and a set of meds.

Take your time mate.

Al lot seems to depend purely on being lucky and having a good GP and where you live seems to come into it too Bry.

I've experienced very good and very bad, both with GP's and with Counsellors.

Unfortunately it's not until you know your way around the system, that you realise this and have the strength to challenge how your beings treated.

Hopefully this thread will give people the strength to do that, if they're not happy with how they're being treated.

As much as it goes against the grain for us guys l would try to see a female GP. My experience is that in the main most are more empathetic than older male GPs and will afford you time. That said there are a lot of good male GPs out there, some of who probably understand the effects of stress and anxiety on a personal level more than we imagine

With people talking about GPs I just wanted to say how good mine has been. He's very understanding and supportive. He's also assured me I'm welcome to come in 'just to talk' if I want.

A while back though I saw a different GP at the same practice who I didn't take to. I didn't feel like he took me seriously and I came away feeling worse than I did before the appointment.

If your GP isn't helpful please try another one.

How did it go mate ?
About that... lol I'm actually a massive tit and got the day wrong by confusing it with my dentist, it was on Tuesday and I missed it. New appointment booked though. Still don't know what to say but this time I was able to add details as to why I wanted the appointment so the Dr will know what I want to talk about so not too worried about starting the conversation now.

About that... lol I'm actually a massive tit and got the day wrong by confusing it with my dentist, it was on Tuesday and I missed it. New appointment booked though. Still don't know what to say but this time I was able to add details as to why I wanted the appointment so the Dr will know what I want to talk about so not too worried about starting the conversation now.

I bet your Dentist was a bit thrown too ;)

Good luck, mate!

Look at the new job as a great new opportunity.

Update us all on how it went.

It went more than very well thankfully.The staff i did meet welcomed me with open arms.My new boss seems nice enough as well.There's no doubting who's in charge of the operation but she still seems okay.I had issues with my boss at my old workplace but i don't think that will be a problem here.Anyway i'll be starting properly on Monday.But today went very well and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.I honestly think things are looking up from here on in.

It went more than very well thankfully.The staff i did meet welcomed me with open arms.My new boss seems nice enough as well.There's no doubting who's in charge of the operation but she still seems okay.I had issues with my boss at my old workplace but i don't think that will be a problem here.Anyway i'll be starting properly on Monday.But today went very well and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.I honestly think things are looking up from here on in.
That's great news mate. First days are always daunting, but at least it is out of the way now.

Hopefully this can be the first step in things getting better for you;)

Feeling low can't live a day without a drink, reverting back to Balkan days. Thinking about visiting family in Bosnia and Montenegro before Christmas, but can't be bothered like, same problems different place.

Feeling low can't live a day without a drink, reverting back to Balkan days. Thinking about visiting family in Bosnia and Montenegro before Christmas, but can't be bothered like, same problems different place.
You can’t carry on like that mate, it’s a vicious circle. One simply fuels the other with anxiety and daily drinking.

Get to a doctor and get help. ASAP.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back