Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Not at this stage, closest game is 3 hours away from me and just been on holiday so probably won't get a chance, but will be watching every game I can, very exciting!

i'll try and stay up through the night for a few. highlight of uni was staying up all the way through the night watching 2011 ashes, ody clock was f*cked, but at least i got all my assignments done as well.

could alter my body clock to do that for work, but england are so dull in ODI's it may not be worth it haha

i'll try and stay up through the night for a few. highlight of uni was staying up all the way through the night watching 2011 ashes, ody clock was f*cked, but at least i got all my assignments done as well.

could alter my body clock to do that for work, but england are so dull in ODI's it may not be worth it haha
Going to be a good one I feel. Open World Cup ;)

I have been toying with the idea of doing it for a few years but It's weird I am genuinely worried what they would think of me I know this is stupid .

Also when it comes to it I always end up thinking I will just try and deal with it myself.

Another big issue for me is what my family and friends would think of me if they found out I would be worried they would treat me differently or see me differently and walk on egg shells when I am around them I dunno.

Anyway sorry for going on but nice one I will look into GP

Coming into this late, so apologies. I felt the same for a long time - " ll deal with it myself, everyone will think I,m a weirdo if I tell them etc ". It was almost like I was fighting with myself, as I knew what I wanted to do say to people and would then bottle it at the last moment. Which made me feel worse. Eventually I told a very few close mates and they were totally sound with it and still are. I think you probably instinctively know the right people to tell already. If they can't accept it then so be it, that will say a lot about them as people. Stats say that one in four people will suffer mental illness in their lifetime. So by that reckoning some of your family and friends will have suffered mental illness in the past / are suffering now or the will in the future. Its very very hard to take the first steps, but it becomes much easier once you,ve taken them and that can only be beneficial in the long run. Good luck mate.

Last edited:

quick tip that i've found helping me lately.

put aswad - shine as the last alarm ringtone before you get out of bed, helps me get out of bed in a good mood and seems to set me up for the day in better spirits. obviously not everyone has to use that song, but a really happy uplifting song is a very good idea imo.

Im ok thanks pal, good days and bad days but still plugging away! Appreciate your concern mate

Glad to hear it mate. I know you may not feel like doing anything at all when you're having a bad day, but there's loads of us on here who will pick up even a one line post from you and that'll hopefully pick you up. I used to say to myself when I was really down, that if I achieved one thing that day I,d had a good day - even if it was getting out of the house to get a pint of. milk. If you're having a bad day make posting something your achievement of the day. It doesn't sound like a great deal but that one thing can make a big difference .

Glad to hear it mate. I know you may not feel like doing anything at all when you're having a bad day, but there's loads of us on here who will pick up even a one line post from you and that'll hopefully pick you up. I used to say to myself when I was really down, that if I achieved one thing that day I,d had a good day - even if it was getting out of the house to get a pint of. milk. If you're having a bad day make posting something your achievement of the day. It doesn't sound like a great deal but that one thing can make a big difference .
awesome again! Makes sense for all of us ;)

Don't comment as much on this thread as I should do, A friend of mine has gone through a recent episode of depression. This lad would be the last you would expect to suffer from depression, a really good looking lad a good circle of friends and always seemed lively when out and about. I started to notice he was missing our regular Astro turf slot every week and when we went out he was slightly withdrawn. I knew he had split up with his girlfriend but he said he was fine and really he knew it was for the best. I noticed him going outside for a cigarette so I took the time to join him and ask him if he was feeling alright. Immediately his eyes welled up and he just started sobbing uncontrollably, I knew I had to get him out of their straight away so we went for a long walk. Turn's out he was extremely unhappy in his work and regretted never doing the thing's he said he would like travelling. These might seem like pretty trivial thing's but built up over a long time they can have a serious effect on your mental health. I advised him to see someone and I was only a phone call away, I made an effort to make sure he went to Astro and even went to the cinema with him on a few occasions.

He started doing something called Shen Therapy and started a night course to add to his qualifications, I suggested that he gave the drink a miss for a while as he needed to keep his head clear, he took up running and has plans to do a marathon this year. He say's he is doing really well and is much happier. Luckily I knew the sign's I dread to think what would happen if I hadn't.

I can't emphasise enough the need to talk to someone if your feeling down, even go to your G.P and tell them how you feel. You will be amazed how good you will feel after you just make that first step. January is regarded as a bad month for depression, I know with depression you see no light at the end of the tunnel, trust me a few simple change's can make all the difference. Don't suffer in silence.

Be safe Guy's

Don't comment as much on this thread as I should do, A friend of mine has gone through a recent episode of depression. This lad would be the last you would expect to suffer from depression, a really good looking lad a good circle of friends and always seemed lively when out and about. I started to notice he was missing our regular Astro turf slot every week and when we went out he was slightly withdrawn. I knew he had split up with his girlfriend but he said he was fine and really he knew it was for the best. I noticed him going outside for a cigarette so I took the time to join him and ask him if he was feeling alright. Immediately his eyes welled up and he just started sobbing uncontrollably, I knew I had to get him out of their straight away so we went for a long walk. Turn's out he was extremely unhappy in his work and regretted never doing the thing's he said he would like travelling. These might seem like pretty trivial thing's but built up over a long time they can have a serious effect on your mental health. I advised him to see someone and I was only a phone call away, I made an effort to make sure he went to Astro and even went to the cinema with him on a few occasions.

He started doing something called Shen Therapy and started a night course to add to his qualifications, I suggested that he gave the drink a miss for a while as he needed to keep his head clear, he took up running and has plans to do a marathon this year. He say's he is doing really well and is much happier. Luckily I knew the sign's I dread to think what would happen if I hadn't.

I can't emphasise enough the need to talk to someone if your feeling down, even go to your G.P and tell them how you feel. You will be amazed how good you will feel after you just make that first step. January is regarded as a bad month for depression, I know with depression you see no light at the end of the tunnel, trust me a few simple change's can make all the difference. Don't suffer in silence.

Be safe Guy's
Great post . Yes speaking to someone is the best 1st step. Sounds like your friend has had some daily wins in his life that have made a difference.
Congratulations to him.
I agree re winter being a bad time. I think we all feel down during winter even in a better climate like here in Australia.
Great post...

Great post . Yes speaking to someone is the best 1st step. Sounds like your friend has had some daily wins in his life that have made a difference.
Congratulations to him.
I agree re winter being a bad time. I think we all feel down during winter even in a better climate like here in Australia.
Great post...

From my experience and my mate's, the key is just making that first step isn't it. Such a weight is lifted, even being able to get a good night's sleep can raise the spirit's. Keeping the mind occupied as hard as it may be for someone is a big thing, a simple 20min walk/run, a night course or something.

From my experience and my mate's, the key is just making that first step isn't it. Such a weight is lifted, even being able to get a good night's sleep can raise the spirit's. Keeping the mind occupied as hard as it may be for someone is a big thing, a simple 20min walk/run, a night course or something.
You are right. Those little daily steps, or wins as I call them, I believe are key beneficials. After seeing your GP or professional.
Better sleep. Better nutrition. Keeping busy. Makes you appreciate how much value you have and how enjoyable life can be.
Great post from you once again.

You are right. Those little daily steps, or wins as I call them, I believe are key beneficials. After seeing your GP or professional.
Better sleep. Better nutrition. Keeping busy. Makes you appreciate how much value you have and how enjoyable life can be.
Great post from you once again.

Cheers mate, this thread is the greatest thing in G.O.T and like I said I don't come on here anywhere near as much as I should. Will definitely make more of an effort. Be safe and keep winning.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back