Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well, two anxiety management sessions down and more to come, and I think I've made a modicum of progress. On the one hand it felt great to say it out loud to a professional but on the other I've realised how much hard work there is ahead. I'm up for it though.

I'm having a particularly low day today but I'm still aware that some progress has been made. I find it incredible how some people can be so brilliant for your health and others can be so toxic. I swear some people buzz off playing on the things which upset you, then when they push you over the edge/force a reaction they look at you as if you're at fault and being unreasonable/touchy as they pass it off as 'banter'. You know, the type of person who thinks mercilessly winding you up for an hour is 'banter' and not being a knob. Anyway, the point I'm getting at, is I'm no longer giving this type of toxic person the time of day, and I'm learning coping mechanisms for when my anxiety becomes too much.

I'm actually a normal bloke, I feel the need to add that in because I feel a bit mental writing this stuff down, but I think it helps a bit.

Well, two anxiety management sessions down and more to come, and I think I've made a modicum of progress. On the one hand it felt great to say it out loud to a professional but on the other I've realised how much hard work there is ahead. I'm up for it though.

I'm having a particularly low day today but I'm still aware that some progress has been made. I find it incredible how some people can be so brilliant for your health and others can be so toxic. I swear some people buzz off playing on the things which upset you, then when they push you over the edge/force a reaction they look at you as if you're at fault and being unreasonable/touchy as they pass it off as 'banter'. You know, the type of person who thinks mercilessly winding you up for an hour is 'banter' and not being a knob. Anyway, the point I'm getting at, is I'm no longer giving this type of toxic person the time of day, and I'm learning coping mechanisms for when my anxiety becomes too much.

I'm actually a normal bloke, I feel the need to add that in because I feel a bit mental writing this stuff down, but I think it helps a bit.

I work in mental health and the thing i say most often is 'what is normal?' Its amazing the number of people that feel normal but arent and vice versa who feel their thoughts and beliefs different but really are just 'normal'.
I personally dont like the term, its so arbitrary and culturalized it has little to no real meaning.

I work in mental health and the thing i say most often is 'what is normal?' Its amazing the number of people that feel normal but arent and vice versa who feel their thoughts and beliefs different but really are just 'normal'.
I personally dont like the term, its so arbitrary and culturalized it has little to no real meaning.
Exactly. There are what, 6 billion people out there? Who knows what's normal anymore? One thing I don't like doing is trying to hold myself to feeling normal when it's so tough to determine what it is.

No need to feel mental writing the post mate, take a look at the amount of posts on here from " normal " blokes . Me being one of them . These people that you're taking about are nothing more then bullies, who are hiding their own insecurities by messing with your head. They aren't your mates, as mates know where the boundaries lie with each other. Don't feel guilty about ditching them either. They will only undo any good you're treatment is having . Look at it another way. If you know they're going to wind you up before you even see them , raising your anxiety levels, why would you want to see them in the first place ?.

Good luck with the anxiety treatment mate. Keep posting. Just as a matter of interest what does the anxiety management treatment involve ?. As a long term sufferer myself I,m always looking for any treatment I haven't tried .

Last edited:

We all have those people around us in our lives. Great to see you are working on eliminating them from your life, or giving them no power to influence it :)
Don't feel you are alone here.

Exactly. What is normal anyway? And who defines it? Usually those that don't deserve to...

No need to feel mental writing the post mate, take a look at the amount of posts on here from " normal " blokes . Me being one of them . Theses people that you're taking about are nothing more then bullies, who are hiding their own insecurities by messing with your head. They aren't your mates, as mates know where the boundaries lie with each other. Don't feel guilty about ditching them either. They will only undo any good you're treatment is having . Look at it another way. If you know they're going to wind you up before you even see them , raising your anxiety levels, why would you want to see them in the first place ?.

Good luck with the anxiety treatment mate. Keep posting. Just as a matter of interest what does the anxiety management treatment involve ?. As a long term sufferer myself I,m always looking for any treatment I haven't tried .
Yep. I always say that in your life you will only have a handful of people that are going to be real close to you.
If people are draining you, you don't need them. And they may be getting in the way of you meeting more worthy friends.

No need to feel mental writing the post mate, take a look at the amount of posts on here from " normal " blokes . Me being one of them . These people that you're taking about are nothing more then bullies, who are hiding their own insecurities by messing with your head. They aren't your mates, as mates know where the boundaries lie with each other. Don't feel guilty about ditching them either. They will only undo any good you're treatment is having . Look at it another way. If you know they're going to wind you up before you even see them , raising your anxiety levels, why would you want to see them in the first place ?.

Well she categorised mine as being fairly standard (which is nice) so the main things are breathing and distraction techniques. But also trying to teach yourself not to go into 'fight or flight' mode during fairly innocuous situations. Obviously anxiety can be useful as it helps you realise danger and jump out the way of speeding cars etc but when the same reflex is triggered when going the pub/work, you're in trouble and need to work on normalising that behaviour. Everytime you avoid people because of how you feel you are only confirming to yourself that its the right behaviour, so you've got to go out and start doing the exact opposite. Just started working on all the above.

Cheers mate, you sound like you're on the right track. Have a look at this forum too when you get the chance -

The Mental Health Forum.

It's an NHS run site and it really is good. The online community on this site are wonderfully supportive and really do make you realise that you're not " mental ".

Really having a bad night tonight, all I've done is sat on my bed in silence but I'm not sure whether I'm being harsh on myself or not but I just feel really rubbish and not good enough for anyone. I don't really perceive myself being happy with myself. In August last year I attempted suicide after a few events transpired that a few people on here may remember me posting about and believe it or not I'm a generally happy person, but I'm beginning to wonder whether that's me kidding myself and masking how I really feel. People call me outgoing and such but no one has ever committed to me, I don't have many friends and those I do have aren't really very close to me. I just don't know whether I'm being harsh on myself or just having a downer, I know I'm a nice person and I treat people well, make people laugh and try to be as good to people as I can be, but I just don't feel like my life's going anywhere. Not sure whether this is relevant or if anyone really cares I just needed to vent it all somewhere.

Really having a bad night tonight, all I've done is sat on my bed in silence but I'm not sure whether I'm being harsh on myself or not but I just feel really rubbish and not good enough for anyone. I don't really perceive myself being happy with myself. In August last year I attempted suicide after a few events transpired that a few people on here may remember me posting about and believe it or not I'm a generally happy person, but I'm beginning to wonder whether that's me kidding myself and masking how I really feel. People call me outgoing and such but no one has ever committed to me, I don't have many friends and those I do have aren't really very close to me. I just don't know whether I'm being harsh on myself or just having a downer, I know I'm a nice person and I treat people well, make people laugh and try to be as good to people as I can be, but I just don't feel like my life's going anywhere. Not sure whether this is relevant or if anyone really cares I just needed to vent it all somewhere.
I suggest you seek medical help at once, in light of your previous history.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back