Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I suggest you seek medical help at once, in light of your previous history.

As strange as it sounds I really don't think I have a problem, or was ever going to go through with killing myself, ever. I just seriously doubt myself in everything I do, I'm sure im not the only one who doubts themselves like me.

As strange as it sounds I really don't think I have a problem, or was ever going to go through with killing myself, ever. I just seriously doubt myself in everything I do, I'm sure im not the only one who doubts themselves like me.
Agree with @Groucho mate, don't let these thoughts take control. Go have a chat with your GP or someone.

Really having a bad night tonight, all I've done is sat on my bed in silence but I'm not sure whether I'm being harsh on myself or not but I just feel really rubbish and not good enough for anyone. I don't really perceive myself being happy with myself. In August last year I attempted suicide after a few events transpired that a few people on here may remember me posting about and believe it or not I'm a generally happy person, but I'm beginning to wonder whether that's me kidding myself and masking how I really feel. People call me outgoing and such but no one has ever committed to me, I don't have many friends and those I do have aren't really very close to me. I just don't know whether I'm being harsh on myself or just having a downer, I know I'm a nice person and I treat people well, make people laugh and try to be as good to people as I can be, but I just don't feel like my life's going anywhere. Not sure whether this is relevant or if anyone really cares I just needed to vent it all somewhere.
Tears of a Clown mate. I'm a bit the same way, enjoy making people laugh, but can't make myself laugh.

I've never had dark thoughts though, but my GP was right onto it & got me to see some bloke. I'm not 100% sold on what he's trying to do for me but, take that with a pinch of salt because I'm not 'ttoo far' down that path.

Groucho is spot on though, you need to speak to a suitable qualified and totally objective professional. You already know that none of us here (that I know of) are qualified in this field but we can offer our opinions & experience to you and anyone else. We're here for one reason, and that's Everton, but we also look out for our own. If you're on GoT, then you're one of us and we're looking out for you.

Let us know how you go mate.

Tears of a Clown mate. I'm a bit the same way, enjoy making people laugh, but can't make myself laugh.

I've never had dark thoughts though, but my GP was right onto it & got me to see some bloke. I'm not 100% sold on what he's trying to do for me but, take that with a pinch of salt because I'm not 'ttoo far' down that path.

Groucho is spot on though, you need to speak to a suitable qualified and totally objective professional. You already know that none of us here (that I know of) are qualified in this field but we can offer our opinions & experience to you and anyone else. We're here for one reason, and that's Everton, but we also look out for our own. If you're on GoT, then you're one of us and we're looking out for you.

Let us know how you go mate.
That's right mate. We are all a family in here and each one of us has their value!
But we aren't professionals. Just people that care.
@Robertor definitely speak to professional as well as chat to us in here mate :)

Really having a bad night tonight, all I've done is sat on my bed in silence but I'm not sure whether I'm being harsh on myself or not but I just feel really rubbish and not good enough for anyone. I don't really perceive myself being happy with myself. In August last year I attempted suicide after a few events transpired that a few people on here may remember me posting about and believe it or not I'm a generally happy person, but I'm beginning to wonder whether that's me kidding myself and masking how I really feel. People call me outgoing and such but no one has ever committed to me, I don't have many friends and those I do have aren't really very close to me. I just don't know whether I'm being harsh on myself or just having a downer, I know I'm a nice person and I treat people well, make people laugh and try to be as good to people as I can be, but I just don't feel like my life's going anywhere. Not sure whether this is relevant or if anyone really cares I just needed to vent it all somewhere.

Everyone one of us has these thoughts and feelings at some point in their life. It may be to do with age, a bereavement, being in a job that is unfulfilling, not having a job, a relationship or just life in general. What I,m getting at is that it's completely normal to feel the way you are feeling every now and again. The problems come when you start to let these thoughts and doubts take over your life and crawl into a shell . You've recognised that you're starting to slip again and come on here, which is a big step in the right direction to getting help if you need it.

Have a look at this site run by the NHS - THE MENTAL HEALTH forum. I always recommend it when I come on here. It's an online community of sufferers of every type of mental health problem you can think of.. I can 100 % say that there will be someone on there who is feeling exactly the same as you are and you'll find bags of support and advice on this site.

You say that you don't think that you're life is going anywhere ?. How many people do you know live a completely fulfilled life that's constantly moving upwards ?. Probably no one. The only person I know who is genuinely one hundred per cent happy is an old mate who found religion years ago as result of some serious problems in her life. She's only happy as her faith has removed all her problems, which is great for her, but I wouldn't want it for myself.
Like others have said, go to your GP and be honest. If you have one mate who you think will support you tell them too, tell your family if you can. You,ll be surprised how supportive people can be if you give them a chance. Good luck mate, keep posting.

Everyone one of us has these thoughts and feelings at some point in their life. It may be to do with age, a bereavement, being in a job that is unfulfilling, not having a job, a relationship or just life in general. What I,m getting at is that it's completely normal to feel the way you are feeling every now and again. The problems come when you start to let these thoughts and doubts take over your life and crawl into a shell . You've recognised that you're starting to slip again and come on here, which is a big step in the right direction to getting help if you need it.

Have a look at this site run by the NHS - THE MENTAL HEALTH forum. I always recommend it when I come on here. It's an online community of sufferers of every type of mental health problem you can think of.. I can 100 % say that there will be someone on there who is feeling exactly the same as you are and you'll find bags of support and advice on this site.

You say that you don't think that you're life is going anywhere ?. How many people do you know live a completely fulfilled life that's constantly moving upwards ?. Probably no one. The only person I know who is genuinely one hundred per cent happy is an old mate who found religion years ago as result of some serious problems in her life. She's only happy as her faith has removed all her problems, which is great for her, but I wouldn't want it for myself.
Like others have said, go to your GP and be honest. If you have one mate who you think will support you tell them too, tell your family if you can. You,ll be surprised how supportive people can be if you give them a chance. Good luck mate, keep posting.
Top post mate. We all have those days/times in our lives..

Having a really low time right now, just on the verge of tears and I can't seem to shake it off.

Ive been drinking heavily the last two nights and I know that makes everything seem worse but I just don't feel like I have the emotional strength to beat this anymore. I feel like I cannot carry on.

I'm taking myself the doctors tomorrow and just explaining everything that I feel. I've been battling with depression for many years but this current time feels differently to anything I've had before.

Having a really low time right now, just on the verge of tears and I can't seem to shake it off.

Ive been drinking heavily the last two nights and I know that makes everything seem worse but I just don't feel like I have the emotional strength to beat this anymore. I feel like I cannot carry on.

I'm taking myself the doctors tomorrow and just explaining everything that I feel. I've been battling with depression for many years but this current time feels differently to anything I've had before.
Good move going to the doctor tomorrow. Hang in there mate. Maybe try and ease up on the drink as it magnifies situations generally in my experience.
Keep posting in here and let us know how you are doing

Good move going to the doctor tomorrow. Hang in there mate. Maybe try and ease up on the drink as it magnifies situations generally in my experience.
Keep posting in here and let us know how you are doing
Then you've already taken the first steps in what could be a long journey, but its a journey you don't have to take alone. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thank you for the comments. Depression is such a horrible illness. I'm used to generally feeling unhappy but this current bout is so much more intense than anything I've felt before.

You know that ale just makes things much much worse in cold daylight. The Irish have a saying for a hangover being suffered by someone with depression - " The Fear ". You actually feel more depressed and anxious the morning after. Be honest with your GP and tell him / her about your drinking too. It may be that the drinking is messing up any meds your on too ?. It could just be something as simple as your meds need readjusting or changing.

Also have a look at this site - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM. This an NHS run site for suffers of all types of Mental Health problems and the community on there are wonderfully supportive and non judgemental. You can pour your heart out on there with impunity mate. Good luck and keep posting.

You know that ale just makes things much much worse in cold daylight. The Irish have a saying for a hangover being suffered by someone with depression - " The Fear ". You actually feel more depressed and anxious the morning after. Be honest with your GP and tell him / her about your drinking too. It may be that the drinking is messing up any meds your on too ?. It could just be something as simple as your meds need readjusting or changing.

Also have a look at this site - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM. This an NHS run site for suffers of all types of Mental Health problems and the community on there are wonderfully supportive and non judgemental. You can pour your heart out on there with impunity mate. Good luck and keep posting.
Great advice there

Been on fluxotine for about 2 years, nothing seemed to help untill i read 2 books. Not saying that they're the answer for anyone else but they worked for me. Helped me understand why my brain worked the way it did (still does on occasion), helped me identify when the thoughts were about to happen and makes you realise your not alone. Like i said it works for me, i hope they work for whoever reads them, if they decide they want to read them

Depressive illness - Dr Tim cantopher
the chimp paradox - Dr Steve peters

the first is by far the best explanation of depression I've seen or heard, that includes the 3 psychologists I've seen.

the second is a superb book which helps you retrain your thought processes and how you react to situations.

Thanks for this, I'm looking forward to going to the doctors tomorrow. I feel like I am making the right changes to get myself out of this.

I am booking my appointment first thing, I will keep you all posted.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back