Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

This thread is a godsend. Well done fellow blues... it's sad to think of the many years the men before us had to suffer in dreadful silence
And women of course. So @efc_girl I wanted to ask you...do you have any hobbies you are interested in during the times you mention of boredom?
Definitely speak with a suitable professional, as advised by many here, but a hobby may also be beneficial I am thinking :)

Last edited:
This thread is a godsend. Well done fellow blues... it's sad to think of the many years the men before us had to suffer in dreadful silence

Have you ever thought of why your local pub has the same men in every afternoon ?. A good portion of them will be suffering from depression / loneliness and this how they cope as it's the only way they know how .

Really having a bad night tonight, all I've done is sat on my bed in silence but I'm not sure whether I'm being harsh on myself or not but I just feel really rubbish and not good enough for anyone. I don't really perceive myself being happy with myself. In August last year I attempted suicide after a few events transpired that a few people on here may remember me posting about and believe it or not I'm a generally happy person, but I'm beginning to wonder whether that's me kidding myself and masking how I really feel. People call me outgoing and such but no one has ever committed to me, I don't have many friends and those I do have aren't really very close to me. I just don't know whether I'm being harsh on myself or just having a downer, I know I'm a nice person and I treat people well, make people laugh and try to be as good to people as I can be, but I just don't feel like my life's going anywhere. Not sure whether this is relevant or if anyone really cares I just needed to vent it all somewhere.

How you doing mate ?

Just a quick thank you to all who contribute to this thread, both those asking for help and those offering help. I've had a few messages from posters saying how much this thread helps, from simply just being able to express long held, often secret thoughts, to actually taking on board advice offered and benefiting from it.

Keep going, and I know in some cases it is sufferers helping fellow sufferers which is fantastic as I'm guessing in these situations both parties are getting something out of being here.

Well done all!

How you doing mate ?

Doing good mate, thanks. It's very rare that I get in a situation like I was in on Friday night but when I'm down I'm really down. Makes me sound like a bit of a basket case like, I've had bad experiences in the past like I said in that post but I got help for that and mostly got over it, and I lead a happy life, perhaps too happy... That's probably the reason that when I get down on myself it comes as a bit of a flashback to when ive had bad times before and it hits me very hard, and that's what happened on Friday. Feel sorry now that I put people on here through reading that and worrying about me, but to you and the other people who sent supportive messages I thank you and reassure you all im actually in a very good place, as strange as that may sound.

And women of course. So @efc_girl I wanted to ask you...do you have any hobbies you are interested in during the times you mention of boredom?
Definitely speak with a suitable professional, as advised by many here, but a hobby may also be beneficial I am thinking :)

I do have a few hobbies yeah, but something I really have struggled with in recent years is motivation. A few years ago, I used to be at the gym all week and going to classes and whatnot... I just enjoyed the social aspect and was making friends etc. That dwindled and eventually stopped as my low moods got worse. I was in a relationship that wasn't good for me and mentally it messed me up. I've never been the same since and my motivation has all but gone. I have tried going back to the same gym, other gyms etc... Just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. But I love sport, exercise, nutrition... All that stuff. And I'm good at it! I just can't motivate myself anymore. I wish I could. Really I do! I understand circumstances change and hobbies too. But I had no worries it seemed back then!

I also play guitar, sing, write my own songs etc. Again, similar thing in that I haven't written anything for a while. Low confidence, low motivation.

I'd love to have a consistent hobby that I could stick with and it would give me something to look ahead to and all that. I just can't stick with things right now; again, not for want of trying :(

Doing good mate, thanks. It's very rare that I get in a situation like I was in on Friday night but when I'm down I'm really down. Makes me sound like a bit of a basket case like, I've had bad experiences in the past like I said in that post but I got help for that and mostly got over it, and I lead a happy life, perhaps too happy... That's probably the reason that when I get down on myself it comes as a bit of a flashback to when ive had bad times before and it hits me very hard, and that's what happened on Friday. Feel sorry now that I put people on here through reading that and worrying about me, but to you and the other people who sent supportive messages I thank you and reassure you all im actually in a very good place, as strange as that may sound.
I feel up and down like this all the time. I feel like I need to moan away and talk to someone about my problems and say if the next morning I wake up happy, then I feel awful and embarrassed about saying anything cos it must seem like I am just making it up! And I hate myself for drawing all that attention. On the contrary, reading your issues and thoughts made me relate and I didn't think you were moaning or anything and it makes me feel sad that you think that you've put people through anything; because they are here to help and perhaps did help because you currently feel in a better place. I totally see the similarities with my feelings and yours yet I can not seem to take my own advice! Madness. But eye opening.

Glad to hear things have picked up for you mate. Absolutely no need to apologise for the initial posting at all. We all have days like you were obviously having and it was good that you came on here rather than bottling it up. If you ever feel yourself starting to slip again don't hesitate to come back on here, there always be someone to support you .

I do have a few hobbies yeah, but something I really have struggled with in recent years is motivation. A few years ago, I used to be at the gym all week and going to classes and whatnot... I just enjoyed the social aspect and was making friends etc. That dwindled and eventually stopped as my low moods got worse. I was in a relationship that wasn't good for me and mentally it messed me up. I've never been the same since and my motivation has all but gone. I have tried going back to the same gym, other gyms etc... Just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. But I love sport, exercise, nutrition... All that stuff. And I'm good at it! I just can't motivate myself anymore. I wish I could. Really I do! I understand circumstances change and hobbies too. But I had no worries it seemed back then!

I also play guitar, sing, write my own songs etc. Again, similar thing in that I haven't written anything for a while. Low confidence, low motivation.

I'd love to have a consistent hobby that I could stick with and it would give me something to look ahead to and all that. I just can't stick with things right now; again, not for want of trying :(
I feel up and down like this all the time. I feel like I need to moan away and talk to someone about my problems and say if the next morning I wake up happy, then I feel awful and embarrassed about saying anything cos it must seem like I am just making it up! And I hate myself for drawing all that attention. On the contrary, reading your issues and thoughts made me relate and I didn't think you were moaning or anything and it makes me feel sad that you think that you've put people through anything; because they are here to help and perhaps did help because you currently feel in a better place. I totally see the similarities with my feelings and yours yet I can not seem to take my own advice! Madness. But eye opening.

Firstly stop beating yourself up about everything !. It's the middle of the Winter it's freezing, you're not alone in not taking the option of the telly and couch over training. How about looking at the calendar and putting a ring round a date when you think the weather will be warmer and saying that's the day you'll start training again ?. Have you thought that you've gone off gyms because you're feeling low and all those " gym bodies " are just making you feel even lower ?. How about when you start training again, go for a jog somewhere nice, like the prom or around one of the parks and see how that feels. All the parks have exercise equipment around the outside. The stuff at the prom by Otterspool Park is top notch. You can go at your own pace and don't have to worry about anyone else.

Feeling up and all down all the time is how loads of us feel a lot of the time, you just have to learn how to cope when you're down. You almost have to learn how to become an actor - step out of the front door and put that happy face on, even if you're feeling like crap inside. I think a therapist would help you enormously, but there's usually a bit of a wait. So in the meantime I suggest you keep posting on here, use this site as an outlet and don't ever think that you're " moaning " when you come on here. You're not moaning you're getting stuff off you're chest, believe me as a bloke I know when a woman is moaning !.

Referring to recent posts on people feeling as if on a roller coaster....up one week and down the next. Seems to me that this is the normality for many people....it's how a depressed person responds to that up-and-downness that marks him/her out.

My own experience of dealing with depression is that often small steps are the catalyst for longer term changes. Small steps are easier to contemplate.

Example: I said out loud some years ago to my family that one day I'd run the London Marathon. They fell about laughing. Next day I put on the trainers I wore to do the decorating, some old trackies and ran round the block - about 7 mins. Had to lie down for an hour. Two days later I went out again and ran the same distance...same result. Two days later did the same and found just a bit easier. So ran a bit further. Carried on and built up the distances over a long period but in small increments. That was 12 years ago. Now run about 20 miles a week and it's become habitual.

...And I'm no saint (ask my wife....). I still have good days and bad. I feel lost sometimes and completely alone.

I just plodded on, adding a bit here and a bit there. But each advance was a little victory for me. Now I seem to accept the mood swings as normal and deal with them as such. I know they'll pass. So I wait to feel better in the certain knowledge that I'm not unusual.

All good here mate, keep up the good work and don't take that stuff too early on in the day as it makes you want a kip soon after taking it !
Well my gp told me one in the morning, one at night, with ot without meds i only wake up about 11 anyway so no real difference in the time i come to. Ive had antis before but they kind of made me feel like i was on speed where as these just level me out a bit if that makes sense? A bit off topic but did you get a solution to your insomnia issue mate?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back