Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Sorry if already posted, believe this is only from today though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31142797
Clarke Carlisle: Ex-PFA chairman reveals suicide attempt
Former Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle was attempting to take his own life when he was hit by a lorry in December, he has revealed.

In an interview with the Sun newspaper, Carlisle said he had been left severely depressed by the end of his football career, financial problems and the loss of a television punditry role.

The 35-year-old left hospital on 30 January, six weeks after being struck in North Yorkshire.

"This was my lowest point," he said.

Carlisle, speaking on Time to Talk Day, which aims to raise awareness of mental health issues, was chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association between 2010 and 2013 and remains on the PFA's management committee.

Born in Preston, he started his career at Blackpool and made more than 500 appearances for nine clubs in a playing career that spanned 16 years, finishing at Northampton in 2013.

Carlisle was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary following the 22 December incident on the A64 Leeds to York road.

He had suffered cuts, bruises, internal bleeding, a broken rib and shattered left knee.

On Christmas Day he was admitted as an in-patient to a psychiatric unit in Harrogate before his release last Friday.

He said he had reached "an epiphany" that he is "incredibly unwell".

"I ventured out of my room not as Clarke the ex-footballer, but as Clarke, a mental health patient," he said.

"That was the first step in my road to recovery."

_80797323_clarke_carlisle_getty_3jpg.jpg

Carlisle, pictured with Wade Elliott, helped Burnley win promotion to the Premier League by defeating Sheffield United in the 2009 Championship play-off

Carlisle faces a charge of failing to provide a sample after being stopped by police on 20 December - just two days before his suicide bid.

The first footballer to appear on Question Time, Carlisle has previously spoken out about depression and suicide in professional sport and presented a BBC Three documentary on the subject.

In the interview, he said his wife Gemma had seen a "steady decline" since he left Burnley in 2012.

"I missed a sense of belonging, a sense of worth and value in life," he said.

"You see someone in the street and they'd say, 'didn't you used to be Clarke Carlisle?' I laughed the first few off but after a while it eats at your core."

Carlisle's wife Gemma has published a series of updates on her husband's condition on Twitter since the incident.

On Wednesday night she tweeted: "Clarke and I thought very long and hard about this over the last week and feel that as you all supported us so immensely through this ordeal you deserved the truth.

"We also want to highlight and create understanding for a lot of issues and feel it would be hypocritical of us to say nothing."

Nice guy, genuine, obviously not like the majority of footballers. Very sad - but also commendable and very brave to see him be so honest.

;)

All of them have some side effect or other, it's a question of tweaking and changing if need be until you find the one that's right for you .

Totally agree with this. I'm on Venlafaxine at the moment. Weight gain is an issue- I was already XL/ XXL so not much room for more gains. Also the dreams are vivid on and off and can take a while to come out of it in the morning. Also, I get some really bad head spins if I'm an hour or so late with a tablet. Despite this though, my moods are better- suicidal thoughts are rare at the moment, and my down times are distinctly less extreme. My psychiatrists answer to the side effects is to increase the morning dose. Not sure if it'll work but I'm starting it tomorrow. As said though, especially with meds, it really is trial and error.

Sorry if already posted, believe this is only from today though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31142797

Nice guy, genuine, obviously not like the majority of footballers. Very sad - but also commendable and very brave to see him be so honest.

He always comes across as intelligent and as you say, genuine. It's so common it's frightening. What is 'good' in a way though is that the amount of cases of 'celebrities' showing struggles with depression while carrying on with work day to day is really highlighting that it is such a massive issue today. Anyone can suffer from it, but equally, people can function as Carlisle was prior to his suicide attempt. He needs the care now to get back to that level, and to stay at that level, as does everybody else, and they will be able to be fully functioning individuals in society. Added to that, a great sense of self-awareness and empathy for others. Some of those I've witnessed experience and recover from depression and other mental health issues have come out the other side twice the person they were before!

Totally agree with this. I'm on Venlafaxine at the moment. Weight gain is an issue- I was already XL/ XXL so not much room for more gains. Also the dreams are vivid on and off and can take a while to come out of it in the morning. Also, I get some really bad head spins if I'm an hour or so late with a tablet. Despite this though, my moods are better- suicidal thoughts are rare at the moment, and my down times are distinctly less extreme. My psychiatrists answer to the side effects is to increase the morning dose. Not sure if it'll work but I'm starting it tomorrow. As said though, especially with meds, it really is trial and error.

I wish you all the best mate, you sound like you're pretty switched on with your meds. Be honest with your shrink about your morning dose , if it's not working or the side effects outweigh the good, switch. There's so many anti D,s out there now,, so there's no need to stay on anything that's not working. Re the weight gain , I forced myself to excercise when I was on them to counter this ?.

He always comes across as intelligent and as you say, genuine. It's so common it's frightening. What is 'good' in a way though is that the amount of cases of 'celebrities' showing struggles with depression while carrying on with work day to day is really highlighting that it is such a massive issue today. Anyone can suffer from it, but equally, people can function as Carlisle was prior to his suicide attempt. He needs the care now to get back to that level, and to stay at that level, as does everybody else, and they will be able to be fully functioning individuals in society. Added to that, a great sense of self-awareness and empathy for others. Some of those I've witnessed experience and recover from depression and other mental health issues have come out the other side twice the person they were before!

Totally agree with you on this one. Clarke Carlisle is a person who apparently has everything including the respect of his peers far and wide. I,ve read his interview in the Sun and it appears that losing a football pundits job had tipped him over the edge again. Hopefully he,ll make a full recovery and become a full time advocate for men's mental health.

My dips into depression seem inextricably linked to Everton's form at the moment... encouraging to see people looking out for each other on here though.

same tbh, my life doesn't seem to have much to it at the moment. if we were as great as last season i don't think i'd be so upset with life. then again, being single doesn't help. get chatting to women on online dating and everything seems rosy, but yet again when everything seems good and they agree to meet, they just stop chatting and that's the end of it. one ludicrous circle my life seems to be at the moment.

i'd like to say i want to give online dating a knock on the head at the moment, but i can't deal with being single. it's not me, i've barely experienced it in a decade and now it's the first time it's happened to me being well away from friends and family which is the main problem. nobody at nights to talk too. the last one i've been speaking to was a real brave girl though, was open about how she's attempted suicide 3 times, but all seemed to be happier in her life now and how she's moving to aus in the summer.

i'm currently saving up for a house, will get things moving a bit more when i get the promotion at work - and that is something that does excite me, i just need to get more of a social life. been doing a couple of more things lately, but not enough imo. it's hard living somewhere with no friends though, i'm not the type to just get up and do things on my own. i signed up to citysocializer which i thought was a good step and then found out i have to pay money just to speak to people, anybody know of any similar sites which can be free?

Just found out my mate Rob took his own life last night. No one seems to know why, 2 young kids. I guess he had hidden demons he never told anyone about. RIP fella

same tbh, my life doesn't seem to have much to it at the moment. if we were as great as last season i don't think i'd be so upset with life. then again, being single doesn't help. get chatting to women on online dating and everything seems rosy, but yet again when everything seems good and they agree to meet, they just stop chatting and that's the end of it. one ludicrous circle my life seems to be at the moment.

i'd like to say i want to give online dating a knock on the head at the moment, but i can't deal with being single. it's not me, i've barely experienced it in a decade and now it's the first time it's happened to me being well away from friends and family which is the main problem. nobody at nights to talk too. the last one i've been speaking to was a real brave girl though, was open about how she's attempted suicide 3 times, but all seemed to be happier in her life now and how she's moving to aus in the summer.

i'm currently saving up for a house, will get things moving a bit more when i get the promotion at work - and that is something that does excite me, i just need to get more of a social life. been doing a couple of more things lately, but not enough imo. it's hard living somewhere with no friends though, i'm not the type to just get up and do things on my own. i signed up to citysocializer which i thought was a good step and then found out i have to pay money just to speak to people, anybody know of any similar sites which can be free?

This isn't s piss take - have you thought of getting a dog ?. A dog requires walking and it's a great way to meet people and make friends . Also a dog is great company and is always there for you when your down.

This isn't s piss take - have you thought of getting a dog ?. A dog requires walking and it's a great way to meet people and make friends . Also a dog is great company and is always there for you when your down.

I agree here. Although I have a great lady my dog and Everton come before her. Its exercise for you also which will help a little in your mind. 3 in a bed with my dog and her.

I agree here. Although I have a great lady my dog and Everton come before her. Its exercise for you also which will help a little in your mind. 3 in a bed with my dog and her.
Seems to work for many ;)

well my current place doesn't allow pets. i have flirted with the idea, but i wouldn't want to do that to a pet. i mean i'm out all day at work, come home about 6ish half 6 and as i live right in the city centre and right by a busy road with no garden they would have to stay inside all the time, except when i take them out. i was thinking more of a cat than dog when exploring this, but same rules apply.

well my current place doesn't allow pets. i have flirted with the idea, but i wouldn't want to do that to a pet. i mean i'm out all day at work, come home about 6ish half 6 and as i live right in the city centre and right by a busy road with no garden they would have to stay inside all the time, except when i take them out. i was thinking more of a cat than dog when exploring this, but same rules apply.

Fair enough, do a bit of research on " house cats ". I know some people that have who live in a City centre flat and have one that never goes out. The cat seems happy enough, if a bit over weight !

Agree with this. I had a Labrador and it died suddenly in November because it managed to get into the locked waste disposal bin and eat week old chicken (Labradors are overly obsessed with food). I do go out most weekends with my mates, it is the midweek boredom of just getting home from work and doing nothing, I used to have my tea and then I'd take the dog for a good hour or so walk and it was brilliant. It was a time I could just empty my head and look at the dog running along care free. Since the dog died I just get home and wait for the weekend to fill my mind, the only reason I wouldn't get another one is it would feel like replacing my old dog.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back