Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

When/If football forum award things have a "thread of the year", or "outstanding contribution to forums" award, @Groucho should be either given it for all time, or the award itself should be called "A Groucho".

In awe at this thread everytime I pop in. And at all the contributors.
Too kind, blushing here - it's everyone who's done this, I just poked it into life. If we've helped even just one person it's been worth it.

Most important things I want are;

1/ for people to recognise that they may be in difficulty

2/ for people to then realise that they don't have to do what Gary Speed did, I want people to realise that they can talk about it without fear of judgment here - that's a good positive first step

3/ for folk to talk to their GP or relevant professional to get the most appropriate help - it doesn't have to mean meds folks, counselling is just as good of not better, depending on your situation

4/ for people to realise that talking things through and having a diagnosis doesn't mean being stamped with the old fashioned "mental patient" label from the 1950's that some fear - this was a big initial block for a few people I've encountered

5/ for the folk of GOT to step up and support fellow blues (and our non blue friends) when times are hard

Too kind, blushing here - it's everyone who's done this, I just poked it into life. If we've helped even just one person it's been worth it.

2/ for people to then realise that they don't have to do what Gary Speed did, I want people to realise that they can talk about it without fear of judgment here - that's a good positive first step

3/ for folk to talk to their GP or relevant professional to get the most appropriate help - it doesn't have to mean meds folks, counselling is just as good of not better, depending on your situation

4/ for people to realise that talking things through and having a diagnosis doesn't mean being stamped with the old fashioned "mental patient" label from the 1950's that some fear - this was a big initial block for a few people I've encountered

5/ for the folk of GOT to step up and support fellow blues (and our non blue friends) when times are hard
Brilliant...

Mate, there's been 3.3 million posts on this site since it was set up.

Your post is the most meaningful. Totally brilliant.

Totally agree with all the above 100% and I'd like to add the following :

In my opinion this thread has given suffers the opportunity to realise that that they aren't alone. Which in turn has given them the courage to come on here and either seek help or get things off their chest, rather than suffering in silence. Hopefully people will continue to use this thread as an outlet for any problems that they have, no matter how trivial they may feel they are. If ever a thread deserves an award this is it.

At the risk of boring you all, I want to emphasise exercise again.

I know that there's an article about this every day but for the very depressed person it's difficult to make that initial move because the depression is also physical.

Let me explain. In biological terms immobility = death. Now add depression to this formula and you can see how dangerous things can get.

It's no coincidence that I've been at my most depressed when not fit and active. Terribly so. This is what spurned me on to fall in love with fitness because not only do you look better but it completely manages the depression and in most cases destroys it completely, without fail every time.

It's simply the best insurance you can have and I will never stop because I know what awaits me if I do.

I never want to go their again.

Mate, there's been 3.3 million posts on this site since it was set up.

Your post is the most meaningful. Totally brilliant.

I really don't post THAT much or explore all the sections but I agree that this thread is probably the most meaningful and the idea that it might have helped people is a good feeling to have around this joint.

Love you all damn it. :celebrate:

I really don't post THAT much or explore all the sections but I agree that this thread is probably the most meaningful and the idea that it might have helped people is a good feeling to have around this joint.

Love you all damn it. :celebrate:
That's right mate. Good to have people that care.
Of course it will never take the place of seeking professional assistance, but it is good for all of us in the GOT family to know that we can come in here for a chat and some advice.

I've recently written a brief article providing people with some recognizable symptoms, treatments and self-help regarding depression. I tried to make it as accessible and engaging as possible while still providing the most clinically relevant material and advice.

Take a look and pass it on if you think it might help others.

http://psychotherapydublin.ie/depression-symptoms-treatment-self-help/

I've recently written a brief article providing people with some recognizable symptoms, treatments and self-help regarding depression. I tried to make it as accessible and engaging as possible while still providing the most clinically relevant material and advice.

Good to see a professional amongst us!

Thanks for the article, sure it will be useful to many.

;)

Excellent stuff - clear and concise and reader friendly.

Would it be possible for you to post something similar in relation to anxiety, a there are a fair few members on here who suffer from anxiety problems too ?.

I know that there's an article about this every day but for the very depressed person it's difficult to make that initial move because the depression is also physical.

Let me explain. In biological terms immobility = death. Now add depression to this formula and you can see how dangerous things can get.

It's no coincidence that I've been at my most depressed when not fit and active. Terribly so. This is what spurned me on to fall in love with fitness because not only do you look better but it completely manages the depression and in most cases destroys it completely, without fail every time.

It's simply the best insurance you can have and I will never stop because I know what awaits me if I do.

I really agree with this advise.
At my lowest running made me feel fresher and a bit more alive.
I still remember when I was getting treatment in an institution and I wanted to go out for a run but the " guards" refused to let me out. Luckily my consultant said it would be ok so I was allowed to go for a run. I nearly escaped but came back!
Running made me feel better and made me feel a bit worthwhile.
Try the countryside if possible. I used to drive into the country to run down the lanes. It was better seeing sheep and cows than cars and people!

Well done on promoting discussion about a great taboo.

Recently told a close friend that I'd once considered taking ultimate way out. She was livid with me. How could I even think of such a thing? For those out there who are troubled.....remember that somebody somewhere cares about you. I care about you. Others here care about you. This site alone shows that we all have a stake in each other. Don't do it.

Well done on promoting discussion about a great taboo.

Recently told a close friend that I'd once considered taking ultimate way out. She was livid with me. How could I even think of such a thing? For those out there who are troubled.....remember that somebody somewhere cares about you. I care about you. Others here care about you. This site alone shows that we all have a stake in each other. Don't do it.
Just talk with us mate.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back