Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

My mum's best friend's son hung himself 2 weeks ago, 19 he was, on his Dad's birthday as well. I hadn't seen him for years but I always remember him as a happy kid, was a big shock to find out tbh. Cant believe how depressed he must've been to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Not good my man. Sorry to hear.

how does anxiety go with depression?

Where do you want to start !.

A very simple way of putting it would be that as result of depression you almost by default can become worried about a great many simple everyday things due to your low mood. In turn you can become worried about being worried, if that makes sense. It's almost like a cycle of despair.

For instance you know that have a social event to go to in a months time . You're suffering from depression and no one knows, as your hiding it from everyone by putting on a brave face. You don't want to go to the Social event as it means mingling with people and making small talk. You possibly can't drink either as you're on meds. You don't fancy this at all as you're depressed and just want to stay in the house by yourself. You start worrying about this event weeks before it's due to happen, as each day ticks away your worry turns into anxiety. With each day nearer to the event the anxiety becomes worse to the point were it's actually close to crippling you. Mix this situation I used in with other everyday events, like a problem in work, an unexpected bill, domestic problems, exams, could be anything and you can see how anxiety can literally consume someone . Imagine feeling scared all the time and your getting there .

There's obviously a more technical explanation , but I ve tried to make it understandable.

Where do you want to start !.

A very simple way of putting it would be that as result of depression you almost by default can become worried about a great many simple everyday things due to your low mood. In turn you can become worried about being worried, if that makes sense. It's almost like a cycle of despair.

For instance you know that have a social event to go to in a months time . You're suffering from depression and no one knows, as your hiding it from everyone by putting on a brave face. You don't want to go to the Social event as it means mingling with people and making small talk. You possibly can't drink either as you're on meds. You don't fancy this at all as you're depressed and just want to stay in the house by yourself. You start worrying about this event weeks before it's due to happen, as each day ticks away your worry turns into anxiety. With each day nearer to the event the anxiety becomes worse to the point were it's actually close to crippling you. Mix this situation I used in with other everyday events, like a problem in work, an unexpected bill, domestic problems, exams, could be anything and you can see how anxiety can literally consume someone . Imagine feeling scared all the time and your getting there .

There's obviously a more technical explanation , but I ve tried to make it understandable.

So anxiety can cause both physical and emotional states?

A s
So anxiety can cause both physical and emotional states?

In a nut shell yes.

Emotional = moods, behaviour, insomnia, etc all caused by anxiety.

Physical = eczema,tinnitus, migraines, colds etc thru low immune system, lack of appetite, obsessional behaviour like cleaning all the time, lack of concentration, inability to keep still, pulling hair out, destroying nails, in extreme cases self harm etc.

You probably know someone who can't keep still or constantly talks rubbish at speed, keeps changing the subject all the time , I,d guess that they possibly suffer from anxiety problems .

Last edited:
I've kept away from this thread for a while now.mainly because I didn't like people telling me what to do. talk to someone get professional advice etc. I just thought I could vent my feelings on here and everyone say awww poor you. I know the "look at me " syndrome.but unfortunately that does happen. and I must admit mainly the only time I post is when I have had a drink. but I do read the thread daily and refrain from posting because I know there is nothing I can say to make anything better. and I would feel a fraud telling people my problems when reading of suicides and serious depression etc. but I feel low today and just want to unload and nameless, unseen people is an easier option than face to face people you know.

I've kept away from this thread for a while now.mainly because I didn't like people telling me what to do. talk to someone get professional advice etc. I just thought I could vent my feelings on here and everyone say awww poor you. I know the "look at me " syndrome.but unfortunately that does happen. and I must admit mainly the only time I post is when I have had a drink. but I do read the thread daily and refrain from posting because I know there is nothing I can say to make anything better. and I would feel a fraud telling people my problems when reading of suicides and serious depression etc. but I feel low today and just want to unload and nameless, unseen people is an easier option than face to face people you know.

Mate, please feel free to unload.

Please don't think you're a fraud either, everyone's problems are relevant to them .Just by posting you're making someone feel a bit better - yourself.

I,m sure you not alone in posting when you've had a drink, so fire away.

( Will get back later if you post as I have domestic stuff to do at the mo ! ).

Last edited:

Good post mate, this thread can be whatever you want it to be so feel free to post in whichever manner suits you. Equally feel free to read it as you mention without feeling you have to post.

We know by the number of visitors to this thread that many just read rather than post which is fine. At the end of the day we want it to be useful for all, contributors or readers.

Thanks for posting though!

How you doing today mate ?

Good post mate, this thread can be whatever you want it to be so feel free to post in whichever manner suits you. Equally feel free to read it as you mention without feeling you have to post.

We know by the number of visitors to this thread that many just read rather than post which is fine. At the end of the day we want it to be useful for all, contributors or readers.

Thanks for posting though!
tried to talk to wife but she got defensive
How you doing today mate ?
hungover lol. but that's how I feel most mornings so i'm used to it.

Indeed, excellent point. You don't have to post here to get something from this thread. We've said it before, and we'll say it again, we're not professionals, we're anonymous friends...and we do listen.
tried to talk to wife but she got defensive
Not a lot to go on here, but in my circumstances, my situation is exacerbating her situation. Be mindful that your wife may be dealing with issues, or her issue is that you have an issue. It hurts me to realise that my Wife is being hurt by what I'm going through. Keep her in the loop, keep trying to be open & discuss it with her, remind her you are a team & let her know that you'll be there for her too.

On a side note, for those that are following my work issues...

I cannot stress the importance of representation! My Union has done a brilliant job and the ridiculous misconduct allegations have been dropped, additional (petty) new allegations have been dropped, contract termination has been dropped, and any redundancy threats have also been dropped! They've even got the company looking into my boss, the one who's had it in for me, and there could be some action on that front too!

My message to anyone suffering stresses at work...make sure you are in a Union, or can be represented by a Workplace Lawyer if a Union is not an option. Don't let the bastards win!!!

On a side note, for those that are following my work issues...

I cannot stress the importance of representation! My Union has done a brilliant job and the ridiculous misconduct allegations have been dropped, additional (petty) new allegations have been dropped, contract termination has been dropped, and any redundancy threats have also been dropped! They've even got the company looking into my boss, the one who's had it in for me, and there could be some action on that front too!

My message to anyone suffering stresses at work...make sure you are in a Union, or can be represented by a Workplace Lawyer if a Union is not an option. Don't let the bastards win!!!

That's great news mate, congratulations and agree wholeheartedly on your point about union representation or workplace lawyer.

Great forum,

The message is talk to your GP.

I had now idea what to say to my GP, just blurted out the word 'Depressed' and told her how I was feeling...

...thought I was going to get locked away, mumbling and stuttering and shaking.

GP took it all in her stride, like she was dealing with the flu.

got all the help I needed.

never looked back.

TALK TO YOUR GP

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back