Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

;)

Excellent stuff - clear and concise and reader friendly.

Would it be possible for you to post something similar in relation to anxiety, a there are a fair few members on here who suffer from anxiety problems too ?.

Thanks a lot for the support guys.

I'd imagine so, depression and anxiety usually go hand in hand. Most of the same advice on depression in that article can be applied to anxiety too. Above all the most important thing to do is talk - preferably to a psychoanalyst. These guys have a training that allows them to get to the root of the issue. I really can't stress it enough how important saying your thoughts out loud is though. You will be amazed how powerful your own speech can be.

I have a fair bit of writing to do over the coming weeks but if I do get around to covering anxiety in more detail I'll get back on here.

Well done on promoting discussion about a great taboo.

Recently told a close friend that I'd once considered taking ultimate way out. She was livid with me. How could I even think of such a thing? For those out there who are troubled.....remember that somebody somewhere cares about you. I care about you. Others here care about you. This site alone shows that we all have a stake in each other. Don't do it.

Fair play to you for being brave enough to break the taboo. Well done mate

Well, still suspended with pay. Been like like this since Dec 8. It's all supposed to come to a head this week, termination. However, the big guns are now firing up!

Union has had a full on blue with the HR people, the Branch Secretary (top dog) of the Union is in discussions with the CEO of the company, and it's going to come to a head very, very soon.

I'm keeping it all together whilst this power play is in progress, but the Missus is not dealing with it very well. Stress is getting to her as I'm the major breadwinner.

I guess my point here is that whilst we, as individuals, need to look after ourselves, we still need to appreciate the welfare of those closest to us. I've been trying to maintain positivity in all this and my coping mechanism is to laugh it off and show general disdain for the process. Works for me, but not for my Miissus.

Look after number 1, but keep the welfare of number 2 in mind when you work though the problem!

Well, still suspended with pay. Been like like this since Dec 8. It's all supposed to come to a head this week, termination. However, the big guns are now firing up!

Union has had a full on blue with the HR people, the Branch Secretary (top dog) of the Union is in discussions with the CEO of the company, and it's going to come to a head very, very soon.

I'm keeping it all together whilst this power play is in progress, but the Missus is not dealing with it very well. Stress is getting to her as I'm the major breadwinner.

I guess my point here is that whilst we, as individuals, need to look after ourselves, we still need to appreciate the welfare of those closest to us. I've been trying to maintain positivity in all this and my coping mechanism is to laugh it off and show general disdain for the process. Works for me, but not for my Miissus.

Look after number 1, but keep the welfare of number 2 in mind when you work though the problem!

All of my past and current problems stem from a prolonged situation in work and I know exactly what you mean about the situation re being the bread winner, as I was in the same boat. All you're missus is seeing at the moment is you losing your job and the rug being pulled under your current standard of living - mine did too. There's loads I could say mate, but let's see what happens first. Hopefully it won't come to that, but please let everyone know and we,ll take it from there.

All of my past and current problems stem from a prolonged situation in work and I know exactly what you mean about the situation re being the bread winner, as I was in the same boat. All you're missus is seeing at the moment is you losing your job and the rug being pulled under your current standard of living - mine did too. There's loads I could say mate, but let's see what happens first. Hopefully it won't come to that, but please let everyone know and we,ll take it from there.
Your input is as always amazing in here my man. Awesome stuff. ;)

Well done on promoting discussion about a great taboo.

Recently told a close friend that I'd once considered taking ultimate way out. She was livid with me. How could I even think of such a thing? For those out there who are troubled.....remember that somebody somewhere cares about you. I care about you. Others here care about you. This site alone shows that we all have a stake in each other. Don't do it.
Thanks a lot for the support guys.

I'd imagine so, depression and anxiety usually go hand in hand. Most of the same advice on depression in that article can be applied to anxiety too. Above all the most important thing to do is talk - preferably to a psychoanalyst. These guys have a training that allows them to get to the root of the issue. I really can't stress it enough how important saying your thoughts out loud is though. You will be amazed how powerful your own speech can be.

I have a fair bit of writing to do over the coming weeks but if I do get around to covering anxiety in more detail I'll get back on here.

From personal experience and from others on here anxiety can sometimes end up being more of a problem than depression - " you become worried about being worried and end up worried about everything ". From a personal point of view anxiety is a bigger problem, however it seems yo get overlooked for treatment for some reason, so any input on anxiety as a separate issue would be great ?.

Try the countryside if possible. I used to drive into the country to run down the lanes. It was better seeing sheep and cows than cars and people!

I love this.

I've done this.

There is nothing more rejuvenating for the soul than running scenic country tracks. Nothing.

I've also done this around most parts of Greece that I've visited.

Even today whilst I'm on the (boring) treadmill I can close my eyes and see those tracks and amazing views. Merely thinking about them makes me feel better. Doing it is bliss.

Last edited:
i would like to put forward some books, written by Eckhart Tolle, also, youtube and pod casts by the same guy, he give me an understand of why we suffer, and continue to suffer with things like depress, anxiety, fears (not that all fear is bad, just some, fear of the future for example) etc etc... he also reinforced how i personally (i thought it was personal until a read this) viewed religion.
The books are on PFD for free online.

I dont want to say to much, i will leave it up to you, and how u feel about it. But, know that there is a away that u can be totally free of all negative emotion, and the difference between thinking and thought.

i would like to put forward some books, written by Eckhart Tolle, also, youtube and pod casts by the same guy, he give me an understand of why we suffer, and continue to suffer with things like depress, anxiety, fears (not that all fear is bad, just some, fear of the future for example) etc etc... he also reinforced how i personally (i thought it was personal until a read this) viewed religion.
The books are on PFD for free online.

I dont want to say to much, i will leave it up to you, and how u feel about it. But, know that there is a away that u can be totally free of all negative emotion, and the difference between thinking and thought.
Great stuff my man ;)

For gods sake talk to somebody if you need to.

Just heard my next door neighbour took his own life after telling his family he was going out with his dogs. He didn't return and his dad found him later. Feel numb at present and wish I could have done something so anyone who needs to must talk to somebody, anybody.

Just heard my next door neighbour took his own life after telling his family he was going out with his dogs. He didn't return and his dad found him later. Feel numb at present and wish I could have done something so anyone who needs to must talk to somebody, anybody.
That's terrible news. Very sorry to hear this.
You are so right. Talking to somebody is so important.
Sorry for your news my man.

I can only echo what Kithnou has just posted. I know you're probably racked with guilt, about why you didn't realise that he was so unwell, but how on earth could you have known ?. I have known two people who have committed suicide and once they'd made their mind up, nothing was going to stop them. No one had the faintest idea that they were going to do it. Try and support his family as much as possible however you think best. Also look after yourself too, that may sound shallow, but something like this affects a great many people. Keep posting if you want to offload there'll always be someone on here for you to talk too.

My mum's best friend's son hung himself 2 weeks ago, 19 he was, on his Dad's birthday as well. I hadn't seen him for years but I always remember him as a happy kid, was a big shock to find out tbh. Cant believe how depressed he must've been to make the ultimate sacrifice.

This may or may not be beneficial to anyone here, but to me personally in some of my darkest times turning to Buddhism/meditation helped a lot. Buddhism is more a philosophy on life than it is a religion and helped me to appreciate and be more content with what I had in life.

For anyone interested the link below is a bit of a brief guide on where to start, what books to read etc: http://viewonbuddhism.org/where_beginner_study_practice_meditation.html

Hopefully this can be of some help to somebody as it was for me.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back