Do Everton need a CB

• Yes - Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough

Votes: 296 82.2%
  • No - Knee jerk reaction.

Votes: 64 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Jags and Distin need competition to give them a kick up the ass. Looked knackered and to flat footed. Need at least 1 youngish CD to come in and give them a scare. Should start Stones next game and see how he gets on

A lot of talk on Everton's defence recently, particularly after conceding six goals this evening.

So, a simple poll.

Do you think Everton need to bring in a CB before the transfer deadline closes? Yes or no?

YES. Money is also available if a defender is in the right price range.

One of the two needs to be phased out and they need to be put under pressure for their places.

Jagielka should forfeit the captaincy on today's performance. No one should be an automatic starter.

Jags and Distin will be fine this season but having said that, one more performance like that from Jags and Stones needs a run in the side. No players place should be guaranteed and the lids on the fringes need to be reassured that they will be given opportunities when a first teamer underperforms.

A new quality centre half is needed as we build for the future but may not necessarily be required just yet.

*has flash back of todays match and completely revises opinion - get Jags out FFS

Yes, yes, yes. Today's (defensive) performance was diabolical, but I'm not just basing it on that. Going off the first 3 games alone, we definitely need someone else in. Jags looks shot. Buzz ain't gonna manage 60 games this year. Not a cat in hells chance. I don't know who we'd look at, if anyone, but we definitely need some replacements.

We were linked with that Moisander in jan, he's in the last year of contract so maybe he could be on the cheap, no idea what he's like though

Forget all of this "Not a Martinez CB" lets get a 6 foot 6 monster who smashes strikers and doesn't take any prisoners,and who can actually header a ball. Even when he was good Jags came across as abit poncey.

This all day.

Even when Barca and Spain were in their pomp, their defence was still based around Puyol (a proper no nonsense wall of a man) who allowed the rest of the team to play. I think having one ball-playing CB is important (Stones) but a proper old fashioned defender is just as crucial. Which is probably why the stones/distin partnership was so effective last season.

I will have to vote NO...and the reason is not because I dont think we need a CB...I do think we need one BUT not the reason the poll asks for...ie not Yes because Jagielka/Distin/Stones/Alcaraz aren't good enough...rather that we need an addition cater for the future due to the age of our centre backs. I think its crucial to sign a new CB and phase him into the squad...and the sooner the better. Thus for this poll I vote NO...as I think Jagielka, Stones and Distin is good enough. Alcaraz I haven't seen enough of BUT he is also aging and we need someone else...a younger centre back for the future. If the poll was worded in that way I would have voted YES.

Sending Eric Dier back to sporting was a mistake, don't think he was ready at the time to play first team football, not sure if am missing something here did everton not put a first option clause in when he was sent back? He is really developing well and it's a shame he's gone and signed for spurs for such a small fee. Would have been ideal having Dier and Stones .. Would have been a decent CB partnership. If I was moving for anyone i like the look of Winston Reid from west ham, solid CB who can defend and is a threat from set pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back